Author Topic: is Mac really an answer?  (Read 931 times)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
is Mac really an answer?
« on: 18 July 2003, 23:09 »
Can you folks help me out?  I am thinking about buying myself a Powerbook with OSX, but I want to be sure that it is safe.

I noticed that IE is included: can that be completely removed?  I don't want any trace of IE permanently attached to my OS.

I know Apple is not totally open source, but does it log crazy shit and not tell me about it?  Does Apple send my information to itself or other's without my permission?  Does it have intentional security holes that will never be addressed as bugs?

What I need to know here: is the Mac (OS 9 or X or whatever) a legitimate alternative to Microsoft, and can a Mac be run with no Microsoft software of any kind?

Thanks in advance for any assistance y'all can provide.

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
is Mac really an answer?
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2003, 23:27 »
You can remove IE completely. BTW, the newest release of OS X doesn't even include IE (I think), and MS stopped developing IE for the Mac, so don't worry. Safari is a great browser.

And yes, you can easily use your Mac without any Microsoft software.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
is Mac really an answer?
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2003, 23:35 »
Mac OS X is safe to use. It's entirely safe to remove IE; all you have to do is slide the folder in the Trash. No more MessIE.    

The kernel is audited by the community, and therefore is just as safe as other open source OSes. And Apple has a good reputation of fixing bugs as soon as possible. There has been no case of Apple sending private information, and the possibility that they may do so is highly unprobable. Again, their reputation of respecting privacy is spotless.

From using Macs at school, and comparing it to Windows, I can sincerely say it is a very legitimate alternative, and much easier and more stable. In my case, I always found what I needed in Mac OS X without resorting to MS software. You can even use many open source software like OpenOffice and Mozilla.

I strongly recommend you to buy your Powerbook, if that's what you want. I myself intend to switch eventually.

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
is Mac really an answer?
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2003, 23:52 »
Actually, it's on the new G5s where IE is no longer present. Be sure to remove the IE cache too when uninstalling.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
is Mac really an answer?
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2003, 23:54 »
I fully intend to use Mozilla on any new machine i get my hands on - it is just plain superior.  Although I will at least give Safari a try...

You would think that Apple would have tons of official propaganda about their OSes re "Treacherous Computing", but that doesnt seem to be the case.  Maybe they ought to have some guerilla marketing geared towards those of us who are sick and tired of supporting companies that dont give a fuck about their users.  Instead, they brag about how cool OfficeX is.  Strange.

By the way, the iBook seems like a much better buy than the Powerbook, as far as brandnew machines go.  inch for inch, what you're really paying for is the titanium case.

jasonlane

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.root10.net
is Mac really an answer?
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2003, 00:30 »
There's no comparison between XP and OSX, OS X leaves XP in the dust. Moz is a great browser, possibly better than Safari but Safari is by far the better end experience in my opinion.
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
is Mac really an answer?
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2003, 05:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by worker201:
I fully intend to use Mozilla on any new machine i get my hands on - it is just plain superior.  Although I will at least give Safari a try...

You would think that Apple would have tons of official propaganda about their OSes re "Treacherous Computing", but that doesnt seem to be the case.  Maybe they ought to have some guerilla marketing geared towards those of us who are sick and tired of supporting companies that dont give a fuck about their users.  Instead, they brag about how cool OfficeX is.  Strange.

By the way, the iBook seems like a much better buy than the Powerbook, as far as brandnew machines go.  inch for inch, what you're really paying for is the titanium case.

I will have to disagree...

at Amazon.com you can get a Superdrive loaded 12" powerbook for 1700, 100 less than Apple sells it for.  The 12" has a 867G4 faster than any G3 in the iBook.  A DVD Burner. a 40gig HD etc.  and its smaller than the iBook.  Don't get a 15" powerbook.  Updates are expected very soon.

ravuya

• VIP
is Mac really an answer?
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2003, 21:38 »
I completely concur with the opinion that Apple should do full-page newspaper spreads listing all the shit Windows logs in "hidden folders" and so forth.

[ July 21, 2003: Message edited by: Ravuya ]

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
is Mac really an answer?
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2003, 22:11 »
hehe.    ;)  

I'm of the opinion that there (M$) doing it to themself. People are wiseing up, they will only take so much.

But a full page spread in al the major broadsheets would be a nail in the coffin. Perhaps we need to raise a few thousand and do it our self. Don't think there's anything they could do about it????

[ July 21, 2003: Message edited by: Zardoz ]

The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
is Mac really an answer?
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2003, 03:48 »
Wait, I will solve this.

quote:
is Mac really an answer?

Yes it is.

[ August 04, 2003: Message edited by: Macman ]

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
is Mac really an answer?
« Reply #10 on: 22 July 2003, 05:57 »
Actually, it'd be "Yes, depending on the size of your bank account"

(another cheap shot for the poor bastards)

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
is Mac really an answer?
« Reply #11 on: 22 July 2003, 06:50 »
Wait, I will solve this.

quote:
Originally posted by Fett101:
Actually, it'd be "Yes, depending on the size of your bank account"

(another cheap shot for the poor bastards)

Shut the fuck up.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
is Mac really an answer?
« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2003, 07:01 »
CLOSE THINE SOUND SPOUT OR I SHALL STAUNCH THE FLOW OF SYLLABLES FROM THINE WORD HOLE WHEN I ENGAGE YOU IN FISTICUFFS!!!

elite elizabethan hacker!!! you have been OWNED GOOD SIR!!
Go the fuck ~

bossesjoe

is Mac really an answer?
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2003, 07:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy James: Computer Commando:
CLOSE THINE SOUND SPOUT OR I SHALL STAUNCH THE FLOW OF SYLLABLES FROM THINE WORD HOLE WHEN I ENGAGE YOU IN FISTICUFFS!!!

elite elizabethan hacker!!! you have been OWNED GOOD SIR!!

to laugh or cry?

M$ is proof that capitalism has failed.-Macman

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
is Mac really an answer?
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2003, 07:13 »
to be or not to be OWNED

GODDAMN I love Shakespearian english as well!!!

hey-nonny-nonny...

oh, yeah... and I'd say the 12" G4, too. I've got an iBook and love it, but to tell the truth, the G4 is gonna be useful longer, because they seem HELLBENT on making sure that those of us with G3s get left behind.

god knows 600MHz with a Rage 128 is ancient

[ August 15, 2003: Message edited by: Jimmy James: Computer Commando ]

Go the fuck ~