Author Topic: Linux on PPC?  (Read 1296 times)

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Linux on PPC?
« on: 24 October 2002, 04:33 »
I didn't know if I should start this topic at the Linux or the Mac OS forums. I finally decided to put it here so if you mods think it belongs to the Linux section, feel free to move it there.

Now, to my question:

Has anyone installed Yellow Dog, Debian Linux or any other Linux PPC distro on his Mac? If you have, what problems did you encounter? You see, old habits die hard and I sorta miss Linux.    I've also heard that Linux runs great on Apple computers, so I'm thinking of setting up a dual boot.

ravuya

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
Linux on PPC?
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2002, 04:49 »
LinuxPPC Live cooked my firmware on my old 604/120. I got the firmware back to normal, but somehow my CD-ROM drive died along the way. I dunno if it's related or not.

I haven't tried any newer Linux installs though, but MkLinux booted fine when I tried it a couple years back.

It's worth a try, but if I were going to install a UNIX on a Mac, I'd do netbsd. The NetBSD support for PPC is just that much better.

MacUser3of5

• http://notquiteyet.com
Linux on PPC?
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2002, 04:53 »
I would be interested in this also... I'm going to have sold access to a T1 for the weekend, and I want to get my time's worth of downloads...  :D  

So, anyone try a dual-boot? How would, say, a TiBook running Jag handle this? My main concern is whether or not Jag will play nice...
"Let them call me a rebel and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul..." - Thomas Paine

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
Linux on PPC?
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2002, 04:57 »
I installed YDL on my PowerBook running 10.1.3 (at the time).

It is fast, and I only ran into one problem:
Whenever I try to do anything with my ADB port it locks up.

All in all, a good OS on a good platform. Try it out!

psyjax

• VIP
Linux on PPC?
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2002, 05:01 »
I installed Yellow Dog Linux with no problems whatsoever on my Mac. But it dosn't support my videocard (GeForce 3) so I run it with my secondary ATI 7000 card whenever I get the inclination.

It works with the GeForce 3, but the colors are all off. Other than that I find YDL to be very stable and easy to work with. Not easyer than OSX, but pretty simple none the less.

The install is quick and painless and has good documentation.

Another distro I tried was Mandrake which also has a very easy installer, tho I could never get it to run.

The only major problem I encounterd was using Yaboot, the standard bootloader. It was a pain in the ass to get of the Harddrive. After fiddlin for what felt like forever I could not wipe it.

Eventually this conflicted with OS9's bootloader which prevented me from logging back in to classic. This caused me so much trouble that I just called in my warantie and got a new hardrive  :D

In any case, YDL is the way to go.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Pantso

Linux on PPC?
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2002, 05:38 »
Ok then, YDL it is.    From what I've read it's the only PPC distro that plays well with Macs. I'd like to try netBSD as well later on, as Ravuya suggested, but I think that for now I'll stay with the YDL choice. I've also thought of SuSE, which was my favourite Linux distro on my previous laptops but they are stuck with version 7.3 which doesn't support my iBook (at least not yet). Anyway, thanks for the replies.    ;)

psyjax

• VIP
Linux on PPC?
« Reply #6 on: 24 October 2002, 06:06 »
YDL is also a good choice cuz it is essentially the PPC distribution of RedHat. The site tout's this, calling it a compleat rewrite or RedHat for the PPC.

I can't wait till they get better (i.e. more hardware support) cuz then I may use it as a more full-time OS.

Tho, I don't see any *NIX replacing OSX for me in the near future. Maybe I'm dumb, but I like point 'n click as much as I like to fiddle with techie stuff, OSX is the best of both worlds   :D  

But hey, Im a fanboy.

EDIT: At least they used to say they were based off of RedHat... hmmm... maybe the coprporate stuff has prevented them from saying this?

[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Linux on PPC?
« Reply #7 on: 24 October 2002, 06:11 »
The other thing that you might miss out on by installing YDL on PPC is finding applications that are ported to PPC. Many are but where you will have the most trouble is with binary apps (closed source). The Nvidia drivers for your GeForce3 for instance. I see they only have Intel and Athlon drivers (I also have a GeForce card that works quite well). Just something to keep in mind. I wish I had a Mac to test on. I have to deal with similar issues running Linux on a Sun Sparc system. But all of the major stuff is ported.

[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

heljy

Linux on PPC?
« Reply #8 on: 24 October 2002, 07:20 »
Hey I realized that there's a mandrake version for PPC (ok, I am a linux newbie, thats why mandrake   )

I dunno whether its good or not, but I would definitely want to have that on my ibook when I buy one.  :D

BTW, I heard alot of how good the ibook is, what do u guys thing? I am selling my Althon XP 1600+ system to try to buy an ibook.  :D

Then its going to be left with Mandrake and Xp on my P3 machine (which i am using right now) and OS X with linux on my ibook!!    Really cant wait til I have enough money for it!

psyjax

• VIP
Linux on PPC?
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2002, 10:49 »
Hey cool, iBooks are awsome, but for the money youl get from your AMD I would put it tword a TiBook. You get more bang for your buck.

Go to smalldog.com to get your Mac's they got em cheeper than most. eBay and uBid may have good deals on TiBooks.

Also, don't buy your RAM from Apple, get some from outpost. You will save a bundle. Load up the sucker with as much RAM as possible for ultimate performance.

Anyway, you will love your new comp.!

Deffinetly a great experience. I think computer users should use as many diffrent OS's platforms as possible. Kinda makes you a well rounded individual  :D

I'm sure you will be more than impressed with OSX and your G4 TiBook. Have fun, and let us know what you think  :D

heljy

Linux on PPC?
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2002, 11:55 »
thanks for the recommendation, but i dun think i will get one anytime soon  :(

I can only sell off my system for about 200 max (I am keeping the rest of the drives and hdd)

That will still leave me a looooooooooong way to good.

BTW, the Tibook cost too much!!! Over 2000+  :eek:  So I think I will just stick to ibook for now....

psyjax

• VIP
Linux on PPC?
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2002, 12:03 »
WOW! $200 for an AMD 1600+, man PC's really are goin cheep now adays.

I would figure 700+ Max, but then that's how used Mac prices usually range.

http://www.smalldog.com/product/41906

this one looks nice    

EDIT: Also, I checked uBid.com, there are a bunch of TiBooks on near closing options. A couple for 400+ and the others for around 1000. That may work.

[ October 24, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

heljy

Linux on PPC?
« Reply #12 on: 24 October 2002, 12:46 »
did you say ubid.com? I check them out and they only have one Tibook selling for 2000 and the reserve price is not met yet  :(

Well, thanks anyway, I will continue to look around.

My school is under apple's education plan and so I get $50 off any of the ibooks.  

psyjax

• VIP
Linux on PPC?
« Reply #13 on: 24 October 2002, 12:56 »

Pantso

Linux on PPC?
« Reply #14 on: 24 October 2002, 17:11 »
I just ordered YDL 2.3 and I'll have it next week hopefully.    Before you ask, I would gladly download the ISOs but I'm still on dial-up.   :mad:  

Which brings me to my next question.

I know that Apple uses softmodems nowadays (grrr) but who makes them?? I did a Google search and found a page from Conexant that offers drivers for Apple's softmodems? But is it conexant or another vendor?   :rolleyes:  

The point is that I'd like to be able to use the modem in Linux as well. So, do you have any more info?

Thanks in advance (once more),
Panos