Author Topic: Soundblaster live  (Read 1049 times)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Soundblaster live
« on: 18 October 2002, 07:30 »
i purchased this card a while ago, but to my surprise, there are no drivers for it, and creative isnt supporting it. Brian Sounder of creative is (i guess) working on a driver independently from creative for osX. Does anyone have any info on this, or should i just suck it up, and try to sell/trade the card. If i am screwed, what would be a good card to get (one that is supported and works). thanks in advance.
ecsyle-one

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.akgames.net
Soundblaster live
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2002, 07:39 »
What Mac Model? Why are you getting a sound card? All Macs that have PCI have built in sound.

xyle_one

• VIP
Soundblaster live
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2002, 07:47 »
its a 800mhz g4, the only sound port on it is a headphone jack at the top of the case. My speakers are 5 channel, so i figured id get the soundblaster live mac card. last time i ever buy something without researching.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Soundblaster live
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2002, 22:37 »
no sound card will have Mac drivers.

unless you wanna fork over $500US+ for a multichannel recording/sequencing card.
Go the fuck ~

xyle_one

• VIP
Soundblaster live
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2002, 02:48 »
so im shit out of luck. that sucks. Next time, i will deffinetely educate myself before i run out and buy something. I am still relatively new to this mac thing, so i dont know whats up yet. shitty twice.
thanks for the heads up Bob's.
ecsyle one

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Soundblaster live
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2002, 02:55 »
I know it's not much good right now, but if you want a good sound system, I heard someone is developing Darwin drivers for the Sound Blaster Extigty.
Go the fuck ~

emh

Soundblaster live
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2002, 05:49 »
quote:

no sound card will have Mac drivers.

That's interesting that you say that, since every time I go into Comp USA I always see Soundblaster Live cards that were made for the Mac and contain Mac drivers.  Plus he also mentioned that he got the Soundblaster Live Mac specific card.

I think the actual problem is that either the card you got was defective, or you have to disable the on-board Mac sound in some way.  My experience with Macs is rather low, so I don't know this for certain.  But I wouldn't say you're SOL yet.  If the card is specifically made for a Mac, it should work with a Mac.

xyle_one

• VIP
Soundblaster live
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2002, 21:04 »
There really are no drivers for it in osX. There are for classic, but i understand that it is very buggy and doesnt do the card justice. The card was made for the mac, but creative neglected to write a driver for it. So i am SOL.   :(        :mad:  
ecsyle one

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Soundblaster live
« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2002, 21:32 »
I have an SB live which works great under Linux, surely Mac OS X has just as good of hardware support as Linux?

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
Soundblaster live
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2002, 21:33 »
You will be happy to know that there are OSX drivers being developed. The page I'm linking to is the OSX SBLive! driver developers page to keep people updated on the status of the drivers and I'm sure that when they are finished there will be a download link for them there.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/audio/soundblaster_os_x_drivers.html

[ October 20, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Soundblaster live
« Reply #10 on: 20 October 2002, 14:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by Windows XP User #5225982375:
I have an SB live which works great under Linux, surely Mac OS X has just as good of hardware support as Linux?

The last 2 posts of your's (that i seen) both said good things about Linux have a fell in a parralel dimension (he will be Red-Hat 8.0 User #452353452345)

xyle_one

• VIP
Soundblaster live
« Reply #11 on: 21 October 2002, 00:16 »
Thanks zombie, i ran into that page in my desperate search for a driver, the only thing is i can not find the beta to download, or any new info on its development.
I might just wait until the driver is released, but i have no patience, and i have had this card for far too long as it is. I believe osX has great hardware support, but without the driver from creative, how can osx support it? I suppose apple could have developed it own their own, but it probably wasnt a priority. i will probably go and blow some more money on a new card.   :(  
ecsyle_one

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Soundblaster live
« Reply #12 on: 21 October 2002, 00:22 »
I don't get it? With Mac's being so big in the audio and recording industry how come there has never been such a big market for sound cards on the platform?

I suppose PC's have had alot of sound cards and junk because they were never a standard pice of hardware till recently. People had to go out of their way to get sound, where as Mac's have sound hardware built right in.

This is both a good thing and a bad thing. Personaly, I don't miss having a sound card, tho it would be nice to have the option.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

MacUser3of5

• http://notquiteyet.com
Soundblaster live
« Reply #13 on: 21 October 2002, 00:39 »
Well, the audio you speak of is usually high-end stuff.
"Let them call me a rebel and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul..." - Thomas Paine

cocoamix

Soundblaster live
« Reply #14 on: 21 October 2002, 01:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by MacUser3of5:
Well, the audio you speak of is usually high-end stuff.

Yep. A Pro Tools PCI card set-up is thousands of dollars.