Author Topic: A boring problem  (Read 987 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
A boring problem
« on: 5 February 2002, 15:20 »
I have a boring problem that i'm hoping you can help me with. I hav tried looking in the MacHelp but no help is evident. As a fairly clueless mac user (due to not getting to use one much, since it's not mine) i am a bit stumped.
Every time i boot up the mac (it's a G3 running OS9.1), i get a little yellow popup box (presumably from the finder) telling me:  
quote:
The substitution fonts necessary for Acrobat or ATM
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

agape

• Kudos: 0
A boring problem
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2002, 01:24 »
Here's my guess:
Adobe apps install special fonts that they use when  a specific font isnt installed [or isnt activated if you use ATM deluxe] for whatever reason. these fonts can be in several locations, depending on the software you have. They are called "Adobe Sans MM" and "Adobe Serif MM." and they are most likely corrupted which happens often to fonts.

Run Sherlock and search for those font names on your startup drive. there's probably one of each in System Folder/Fonts/, and almost definitely in System Folder/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts/Reqrd/Base/. Also some adobe apps install a copy in their own folders, Acrobat, pagemaker, maybe a couple more. you may get quite a few duplicates of these. the bottom pane of Sherlock window will show you where they are.

now you just need a fresh copy of those fonts, so you have to either: a) trash those files and your adobe stuff then reinstall your adobe stuff (slower), or b) pull them off of your backup discs if you have any, and replace the bad fonts with the fresh copies (faster). (keep in mind there's always a chance the backup copy is bad too.) next time you reboot the message should be gone..

[if none of this works then you may want to delete the file "ATM Font Database" in your system folder, but you'll probably have to re-create your font sets if you use ATM Deluxe to manage a lot of fonts. Sounds like you dont though....]

good luck

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
A boring problem
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2002, 16:04 »
thanks! that's great, i had a folder of "unused fonts" which are just older copies of the fonts, but i didn't know which ones needed changing, now i followed yr advice and it's all sorted, so ta!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism