Author Topic: AMD sides with Microsoft in antitrust case(s)  (Read 1534 times)

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
AMD sides with Microsoft in antitrust case(s)
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2002, 01:02 »
Small potatoes.

AMD is tiny compared to some of the giants against microsoft. They got 30 on their side, with over 150 companies against them.

AMD is probably just afraid they will lose their rescent windfall success id M$ loses money or some of it's market dominance.

Pathetic, especialy when many of their costomers are in UNIX, servers, Linux, and IT.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

ravuya

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2002, 03:48 »
quote:
For Sanders is a busy man. So busy that he could not find the time to read the nine states' case against Microsoft before taking the stand as a witness in the longrunning antitrust trial.

During the February 8 phone call, Gates had told him they were "crazy" and would fragment the Windows operating system, Sanders said. "You've never checked to this day whether what Mr. Gates told you... was true in the remedies," Gutman said, Reuters reports.

Hm, looks like AMD rushed into this baby half-cocked. Here's their angle. Naturally, it's led by billg himself.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2002, 04:16 »
quote:
Jerry Sanfers said:
 If there were multiple versions of Windows, as the states desire, ''consumers would suffer, losing either functionality or choice, and almost certainly paying higher prices,'' said Sanders, the first defense witness in the penalty hearing.

what the hell was he smokin when he said that?
How could we lose choice, if anything we would gain a hell of a lot of choice by being able to choose what applications we want ot add to windows, and what spyware (the ones that arent already built in) we dont want.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Master of Reality

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2002, 04:19 »
something tells me that Bill accidentally left a pile of money on sanders' desk.
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518

Zombie9920

« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2002, 04:52 »
To make a long story short, AMD is gaining MS favortism. Microsoft has always been in favor of Intel CPUs' and Intel CPUs' got Intel optimizations before AMD CPUs did. Now AMD is becoming buddy buddy with MS, Bill will start adding more and more AMD optimizations to his products and he will even start using AMDs' products(The next X-Box will probably have an AMD CPU now). It is business...AMD is doing whats best for them.

(EDIT) The irony of this deal is *YOU*(The Microsoft haters) invest money in AMD products..meaning that you are helping AMD pay for the costs required to get involved in the case(s). Meaning, you are paying for Microsofts' defense.(EDIT)

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2002, 05:49 »
Big deal... paying taxes bolsters M$'s case. I seriously doubt one lousy company speaking in M$'s deffense is going to turn the tide of the lawsuit.

AMD dosn't make windoze, that's good enugh for me. Hell, even Apple supports some M$ products. (though they are totaly and rightfully against them in the trial  :D  )

Master of Reality

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2002, 07:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
To make a long story short, AMD is gaining MS favortism. Microsoft has always been in favor of Intel CPUs' and Intel CPUs' got Intel optimizations before AMD CPUs did. Now AMD is becoming buddy buddy with MS, Bill will start adding more and more AMD optimizations to his products and he will even start using AMDs' products(The next X-Box will probably have an AMD CPU now). It is business...AMD is doing whats best for them.

(EDIT) The irony of this deal is *YOU*(The Microsoft haters) invest money in AMD products..meaning that you are helping AMD pay for the costs required to get involved in the case(s). Meaning, you are paying for Microsofts' defense.(EDIT)

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

i dont really care if AMD supports MS. AMD makes good products, they dont use unethical marketing schemes and thats good enough for me.
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518

Zombie9920

« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2002, 07:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by Master of Reality:

i dont really care if AMD supports MS. AMD makes good products, they dont use unethical marketing schemes and thats good enough for me.

Actually rating systems are an unethical marketing scheme. It makes the average dumb consumer think the CPU has more mhz than it really does. In my honest opinion...I think pulling the wool over the consumers eyes is unethical.

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2002, 08:21 »
quote:
Actually rating systems are an unethical marketing scheme. It makes the average dumb consumer think the CPU has more mhz than it really does. In my honest opinion...I think pulling the wool over the consumers eyes is unethical.

I agree with this entirely. I think Intel was the first to really start doing this crap and it has become standard practice in the industry.

It really is a pain to cut thrugh all the hype and really get down to the specs. In any case tho, most unbiased tests put the AMD's well above most other processors for certain tasks. And for a PC, it seems to be the best all around CPU.

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2002, 11:52 »
Zombie, what is your goal in life??

Not liking mac is one thing, but supporting Microsoft is another... I know people who dont like mac's because of things, but they also HATE MICROSOFT. Then you get retarded people. That support microsoft... I dont support nor microsoft or mac, but i only HATE Microsoft. See you just support the evil corp, and you have NO LIFE you should get one before you get to old and then its too late.

So to say, i dont care, AMD's are good Intels are good. I dont care about CPU's. But yes now i dislike AMD and there scrouge, personally i like Intel. And always have.

GET A LIFE YOU DUMBASS ZOMBIE.

(I might go into Quake I and blow your zombie ass up)  

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #11 on: 18 April 2002, 14:03 »
i like to think that zombie235462345623785466723 is just shit stirring.

to me it looks as if AMD is trying to squeeze as much from M$ as possible without really giving anything back.
On the other hand if AMD continue this apparent M$ support, they may find themselves in bad favour on both sides of the OS argument.

as far as zombie4845354's comments go, firstly that bullshit about AMD being synonymous with linux and intel being synonymous with Microsoft is BULLSHIT!

secondly that bullshit about misleading consumers about Mhz is BULLSHIT! as i understand it you think AMD are misleading consumers. do you really think the exact clock speed is a measure of a chip's efficiency? half of the efficiency is totally dependent on the software for a start, and the very fact that motorola's chips in Apple Macintosh machines have such a low clock speed and can still compete with much 'faster' intel chips should be enough to prove you wrong for good, not that i have to since you do it so well yourself.

[ April 18, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

badkarma

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #12 on: 18 April 2002, 14:25 »
quote:

That must be the dumbest statement I have read in a while on these forums, did you fell off the stupid tree zombie?

Tell me how then it is that my AMD 1400Mhz beats any intel processor running at the same (or even higher, 1800Mhz is the break even point roughly) clock speed silly?

Intel is the company who makes dumb customers believe that Mhz means anything. We don't measure car engine performance by RPM now do we?

Anyhow, too get back on topic, AMD is just trying to secure their bussiness which is understandable, they way they're doing it gets less sympathy from me though.....
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

Zombie9920

« Reply #13 on: 18 April 2002, 17:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by X11:
Zombie, what is your goal in life??

Not liking mac is one thing, but supporting Microsoft is another... I know people who dont like mac's because of things, but they also HATE MICROSOFT. Then you get retarded people. That support microsoft... I dont support nor microsoft or mac, but i only HATE Microsoft. See you just support the evil corp, and you have NO LIFE you should get one before you get to old and then its too late.

So to say, i dont care, AMD's are good Intels are good. I dont care about CPU's. But yes now i dislike AMD and there scrouge, personally i like Intel. And always have.

GET A LIFE YOU DUMBASS ZOMBIE.

(I might go into Quake I and blow your zombie ass up)                

Well man, I *DO* have a life. Unlike you, my woman is not my hand. ;P  Your age really shows man. Can't you commute without name calling?

quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
i like to think that zombie235462345623785466723 is just shit stirring.

to me it looks as if AMD is trying to squeeze as much from M$ as possible without really giving anything back.
On the other hand if AMD continue this apparent M$ support, they may find themselves in bad favour on both sides of the OS argument.

as far as zombie4845354's comments go, firstly that bullshit about AMD being synonymous with linux and intel being synonymous with Microsoft is BULLSHIT!

secondly that bullshit about misleading consumers about Mhz is BULLSHIT! as i understand it you think AMD are misleading consumers. do you really think the exact clock speed is a measure of a chip's efficiency? half of the efficiency is totally dependent on the software for a start, and the very fact that motorola's chips in Apple Macintosh machines have such a low clock speed and can still compete with much 'faster' intel chips should be enough to prove you wrong for good, not that i have to since you do it so well yourself.

I never said that AMD was synonymous with Linux and Intel is synonymous with Microsoft. IT is the truth that both chipmakers want to be Microsofts' favorite because %95 of the consumer world uses Microsoft Windows and other Microsoft products. You can't tell me that MS hasn't favored Intel since the days of Windows 95 because if you do say that then I say bullshit.

For the rating thing. Yes it is misleading. I know a lady who just bought one of those "As Seen on TV PC Athlon XP X-traviganza" computers. She really thought the thing was 1800mhz and she was shocked when I told her how fast it really was. Yes the AMD processors do more per clock cycle than the Pentium 4, but AMD should just mark thier chips as thier actual speed. As I said, the rating system is used to fool consumers. The T-Bird was marked by it's actual speed and AMD sold them like hotcakes.

I think the problem is AMD really can't keep up. They are gonna start using the rating system on Durons now.     :rolleyes:    

Info on this here. http://www.ebns.com/story/OEG20020415S0059

quote:
Originally posted by BadKarma:

That must be the dumbest statement I have read in a while on these forums, did you fell off the stupid tree zombie?

Tell me how then it is that my AMD 1400Mhz beats any intel processor running at the same (or even higher, 1800Mhz is the break even point roughly) clock speed silly?

Intel is the company who makes dumb customers believe that Mhz means anything. We don't measure car engine performance by RPM now do we?

Anyhow, too get back on topic, AMD is just trying to secure their bussiness which is understandable, they way they're doing it gets less sympathy from me though.....

Did I fell off of the stupid tree? That kind of grammar makes me believe that you climbed up the stupid tree and never came down.    ;)    I bet your 1.4ghz CPU doesn't beat a Pentium 4 1.6a(The 1.6ghz Northwood).

I don't know how you can make a statement like " we don't measure a cars' performance by RPM's do we" because any car can be redlined(in the 5,000+ RPM area). I think you are trying to say we don't measure car performance by the size of the motor(like 3.8, 350, 383, etc.).

[ April 18, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #14 on: 18 April 2002, 18:50 »
quote:
Well man, I *DO* have a life. Unlike you, my woman is not my hand. ;P  Your age really shows man. Can't you commute without name calling?
No, he can't commute without name calling, he gets on the tram every morning and people are literally jumping out the windows due to his name calling, by the time he gets where he is going the whole back half of the tram is empty!

quote:

I never said that AMD was synonymous with Linux and Intel is synonymous with Microsoft.
well you assumed that anti Microsoft people use AMD chips! that's virtually the same thing coming from a windoid!    
quote:
IT is the truth that both chipmakers want to be Microsofts' favorite because %95 of the consumer world uses Microsoft Windows and other Microsoft products. You can't tell me that MS hasn't favored Intel since the days of Windows 95 because if you do say that then I say bullshit.
eh... no, i do agree with that, isn't that the whole point of this topic?

quote:
For the rating thing. Yes it is misleading. I know a lady who just bought one of those "As Seen on TV PC Athlon XP X-traviganza" computers. She really thought the thing was 1800mhz and she was shocked when I told her how fast it really was. Yes the AMD processors do more per clock cycle than the Pentium 4, but AMD should just mark thier chips as thier actual speed. As I said, the rating system is used to fool consumers. The T-Bird was marked by it's actual speed and AMD sold them like hotcakes.
What bullshit! if somebody can't READ THE FUCKING BOX then they shouldn't be trusted to wipe their own arse and blow their own nose let alone buy their own computer parts! I bet that same woman thinks that Apple Macs must be 3 times worse than intels because the clock speed is 3 times slower!  
quote:

I think the problem is AMD really can't keep up. They are gonna start using the rating system on Durons now.
oh poo! that's just reactionary sour grapes!

quote:
Did I fell off of the stupid tree? That kind of grammar makes me believe that you climbed up the stupid tree and never came down.
   :D    LOL    :D    i liked that retort! but don't you think somebody from holland is allowed to say "fall off of the stupid tree" instead of "fall out of the stupidity tree?" I am not dissing people from holland, i can't speak dutch, but i'm just saying, english probably isn't his first language and i think you are nitpicking in the extreme when you criticise a post in consideration of a few letters in the text of someone writing in their second or possibly even third language!  
quote:

I bet your 1.4ghz CPU doesn't beat a Pentium 4 1.6a(The 1.6ghz Northwood).
and how will you perform the benchmarking to prove that? pentium 4s have been coming in second even to pentium 3s you know, only due to the fact that software is largely still written with the pentium 3 in mind. It's like all those benchmarks that showed that OSX software didn't run any better with 256Mhz of RAM than 128, in a years' time, that result will seem laughable, because all the software will be coded to take perfect advantage of the hardware capabilities.

nice try zombie432564325, 3 1/2 out of ten    :D    keep it up...

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism