Author Topic: Celine Dion unleashes wave of destruction on Mac users  (Read 1081 times)

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
Celine Dion unleashes wave of destruction on Mac users
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2002, 04:51 »
Are you sure it is the CD that is causing this in the machine? It could be Celine Dion herself.  :D    :D    :D    :D
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2002, 05:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by cahult:
Are you sure it is the CD that is causing this in the machine? It could be Celine Dion herself.   :D      :D      :D      :D  

ROFLMFAO. That is possible because she sucks so badly. I bet she could shatter plexiglass with her singing.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2002, 05:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=53255

I think the most disturbing thing about this is the fact that such a copyright protection scheem exists at all!! That is soooooo wrong, for so many reasons, I hope a hack or crack for this sort of bullshit gets released soon.

Anyway...

People who would send their comps. in to repair this crap are just plain dumb. All you gotta do is hit the emergency eject switch on the CD-rom, the old iMac's had this. Even if it is not on the front, just pop the base and press it on the CD-rom unit itself.

Once done, pop in your CD and re-install the firmware.

I think copyright portection is pure BS, and the industry is going to aliate their fans. Fuck them. If they made music people actually cared about, then maybe people would actually pay.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2002, 05:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:

I think the most disturbing thing about this is the fact that such a copyright protection scheem exists at all!! That is soooooo wrong, for so many reasons, I hope a hack or crack for this sort of bullshit gets released soon.

Anyway...

People who would send their comps. in to repair this crap are just plain dumb. All you gotta do is hit the emergency eject switch on the CD-rom, the old iMac's had this. Even if it is not on the front, just pop the base and press it on the CD-rom unit itself.

Once done, pop in your CD and re-install the firmware.

I think copyright portection is pure BS, and the industry is going to aliate their fans. Fuck them. If they made music people actually cared about, then maybe people would actually pay.

From the article,
---------------------------------------
Other titles to feature the technology include White Lilies Island by Natalie Imbruglia, White Ladder by David Gray, the Star Wars Episode 2 soundtrack and All this Time by Sting.
--------------------------------------

So the Celine Dion CD isn't the only CD that features this ludicris technology. I hope that ths doesn't become a widely used copy protection method. On a PC this same protection causes the machine to crash and can wipe out the firmware of your CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/CD-RW Drive. I don't think it is right that they can use methods that will actually damage people's hardware just because they want to play the CD in thier computer.  They should just find a way that you can play the CD from a CD-ROM drive but blocks you from ripping the music from the CD if protection is such a big deal for them.

The reason so many people download MP3's is because we all know that it doesn't cost no $13-$20 for them to make a Audio CD. We shouldn't have to pay those kind of prices for something that only costs $0.50 to make. Especially since most CD's only have a few good songs on them.

I think that whoever uses one of these protected CD's in thier system and it does damage to the system has the right to sue he record company(ies) for doing damage to personal property.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2002, 06:15 »
we should all buy these "protected" CDs, get them jammed in a Mac, then get pissed off and destroy your mac that contains special invention blue prints and other important stuff, then sue the record company scum for destroying all of our wonderful invention ideas, and mental anguish and stress.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2002, 08:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:

The reason so many people download MP3's is because we all know that it doesn't cost no $13-$20 for them to make a Audio CD. We shouldn't have to pay those kind of prices for something that only costs $0.50 to make. Especially since most CD's only have a few good songs on them.

I think that whoever uses one of these protected CD's in thier system and it does damage to the system has the right to sue he record company(ies) for doing damage to personal property.

Same goes for M$.  $0.50 to pump out WinXP, $0.50 to pump out OfficeXP, $0.50 to pump out .NET.  And we should be able to sue M$ for destroying brain cells when using their products.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2002, 08:38 »
COPY PROTECTION!?!
I think the name "Celine Dion" would stop me from copying it!!!

And anyone else....

I wonder what it does to Linux

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2002, 01:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by X11:

I wonder what it does to Linux

Maybe turn it into Celix, an OS that screams your head off while looking anemic and dull.  :D
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2002, 00:42 »
Speaking of copy-protected audio CDs that ruin Macs, see This Article for a quick and dirty hack that can defeat the copy protect. Even though the article is in German, the illustrations speak for themselves. Not only that, it involves nothing more than a "Magic Marker" or a Post-It.  :D  

Now all the Mac-people can listen to Celine Dion CDs without any problems. Although, it must be pointed out that it won't necessarily sound any better.   :rolleyes:  But you can listen to it  ;)