Author Topic: Power Mac G5  (Read 1834 times)

sway

• Kudos: 0
Power Mac G5
« on: 24 June 2003, 00:24 »

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Power Mac G5
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2003, 00:27 »
Looks good, and very fast. However, no-one is going to buy it, as it's too expencive...

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Power Mac G5
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2003, 00:29 »
i will buy one. i am going to buy one. a dual 2ghz g5. whats 3grand? fuck it. i need one. now. with panther installed in all of its badassness.

ravuya

• VIP
Power Mac G5
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2003, 01:04 »
I can't get to the listing of Canadian prices (store is el-overloaded with visitors -- good work Apple!), but the low-end model's price looks to be a bit more than I paid for my iMac G3/600 awhile back.

Hopefully if I can't afford a new machine, that 10.3 will actually run on my iMac.   ;)

[ June 23, 2003: Message edited by: Ravuya ]

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
Power Mac G5
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2003, 01:13 »
I'm not sure what the sales will be like in the beggining with people realizing that the release of panther is later  this year. Does anyone think that maybe the last design for the G4 was better? Also, when will Apple put the new processor into other desktops and their laptops? The PowerBook G5 would be nice . . .

xyle_one

• VIP
Power Mac G5
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2003, 01:38 »
the new design is more professional looking. comparing it to the g4 case sitting next to me, i would say the g4 case is more "toyish" than the g5 case. don't get me wrong, i love the look of the g4, but the g5 is so clean and solid looking. i dig it.

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
Power Mac G5
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2003, 02:45 »
It looks almost old fashioned, yet COMPLETELY FUTURISTIC!!!!

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
Power Mac G5
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2003, 02:57 »

Ha, that's what someone thought it would look like. Got the shape right, but I'm glad it doesn't have a heart on the side.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Power Mac G5
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2003, 03:17 »
I just got back from the local mac store. Let me simply say I was more than impressed.

Panther is amazing, the G5 is jawdropping!

It floord, a dual 3.6Ghz Xeon setup!!!

AMazing...

I was reminded of the Longhorn demos with all their windoze spining around, and the host continualy added "there is no practical purpose for this except to illustrate the capability blah blah". When I saw Panther's new aditions, while very cool to look at, the eyecandy mearly served to enhance the functionality which was indeed truely inovative. M$ sux, they tried to copy the MAc... yet again, and again missed the point entirely.

Maybe that's why their pushing Longhorn back yet another year?

Jobs made fun of this at the Keynotes when he said:

"This is what we have been working on:" HE shows a video of a panther stalking thrugh the forest.

"THis is what our competitor has been working on:" Jobs puts on a video of a Longhorn cow chewing it's cud to an out of tune version of home on the range. HE is quick to add that M$ is considering pushing longhorn back to 2006.

This, of course, generated uproreus laughter.

So to all you naysayers, and doom predictors, I say this, there is a reason we Mac fans stick with Apple. It's because we know, that in the end, they will allways pull thrugh and deliver the best.

Without Apple there would be no PC's, and without them, there would never be any "true" inovation.

I know this sight has had a name change, but by golly if I don't go out and screem:

FUCK MICROSOFT!!! FUCK THEM IN THEIR PUCKERD ASSHOLE WITH A CHAINSAW TILL THEY BLEED!!!!!

[ June 23, 2003: Message edited by: psyjax: plain 'ol psyjax ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
Power Mac G5
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2003, 04:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax: plain 'ol psyjax:
Without Apple there would be no PC's, and without them, there would never be any "true" inovation.

I greatly doubt that.

xyle_one

• VIP
Power Mac G5
« Reply #10 on: 24 June 2003, 04:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by fett101:

I greatly doubt that.

if it weren't for apples developing the gui for practical use and implementing it into their systems, microsoft would have nothing to copy. before i get reamed for the developing gui comment, i know xerox was doing it, but apple implemented it in a way that led to the modern computer. right? i think so...

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Power Mac G5
« Reply #11 on: 24 June 2003, 04:23 »
quote:
I greatly doubt that.

The fact remains that it was only in response to the Apple II that IBM invested in the personal computer. And although Apple didn't invent the GUI, they did come up with the Macintosh interface that was copied by Microsoft. Don't try to argue that point; Bill Gates was quoted telling his GUI engineer 'Make Windows look just like the Mac'.

I don't know if Apple are the only innovators, but to my knowledge, there aren't many big players that make anything new nowadays.

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
Power Mac G5
« Reply #12 on: 24 June 2003, 04:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by fett101:

I greatly doubt that.

Well there's also a little thing called pull-down menus that Microsoft copied. The G5 and Panther here today are evidence that Apple is the leader in innovative computing, not to mention nearly everything Apple has come out with in the past decades. I don't understand how you could be ignorant to this fact.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Power Mac G5
« Reply #13 on: 24 June 2003, 04:42 »
Tut tut. Remember, it's IBM who made the G5, not Apple.

I almost forgot IBM; they may not be particularly innovative in the personal computer area, buy they are very much so when it comes to make processors (they were the first use copper instead of aluminium).

Redde Caesari quae sunt Caesari, and all that.

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
Power Mac G5
« Reply #14 on: 24 June 2003, 04:46 »
Yeah, they're cool. I remember when everyone called PCs IBMs. IBM has good commercials too. Perhaps they can teach Apple something...