Author Topic: advice  (Read 855 times)

hehe

• Kudos: 0
advice
« on: 21 September 2004, 07:30 »
What should I do? My school distributed Ibook g4's.. Im debating whether or not to but linux on it.

Do you think i could get in trouble for doing this?

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
advice
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2004, 07:36 »
You'd better keep OS X. It's based on UNIX and just as stable. You can run the major Linux software on it anyway.

And yes, you probably would get in trouble, since the computer isn't yours.  ;)

[ September 20, 2004: Message edited by: Laukev7 / BOB ]

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
advice
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2004, 08:43 »
Installing Linux on a PPC is no small task.  Finding packages for it once it is installed is kinda difficult too.

But it is totally possible to add gtk or qt or any Linux app to a Mac.  It's not always easy, but it will keep you occupied.

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
advice
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2004, 21:39 »
the only thing that putting linux on would change is the:
  • Kernel
  • UI
  • API Layers
otherwise it is the exact same thing.  if you want linux software, install fink on it.

Moving to Mac OS section.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
advice
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2004, 21:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by hehe:
What should I do? My school distributed Ibook g4's.. Im debating whether or not to but linux on it.

Do you think i could get in trouble for doing this?

Funny...I read a story about a school in Pennsylvania giving out iBooks.  And you're the right age to go there.  :eek:

PS: Linux on a Mac (to me) seems pointless.  ;)
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Paladin9

• VIP
  • Kudos: 263
advice
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2004, 19:51 »
Must be a rich school district.  The school district i work for (as a computer tech) is dirt poor.  I could not imagine our district actually giving out laptops to students at any of the schools, let alone mac laptops which are more expensive.  Our district does not even use macs at all.  It is just windows on a Novell network.

To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
advice
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2004, 01:21 »
Gee, I wonder why your principal and IT staffer both just bought a new Vanquish?    ;)  

EDIT: More important, the "how" than the "why."

[ September 21, 2004: Message edited by: Midnight Candidate/BOB ]

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
advice
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2004, 02:08 »
There's no reason to install Linux on a Mac unless you have a very specific reason for doing so, or extremely old hardware.  And contrary to what some have said, it's really not that hard.

quote:
I could not imagine our district actually giving out laptops to students at any of the schools, let alone mac laptops which are more expensive.

They're not more expensive, and that's without considering standard educational discounts, bulk discounts, and lower operating costs.  A limited budget is precisely why a school should go Mac.