Miscellaneous > The Lounge

Questions about Netscape

(1/4) > >>

panophobia:
Is Netscape really that much safer than using IE5 (or other versions)? If this is so true, what exactly makes it that much safer to use?

I'm of course referring to the recent article about cookies/history and the "really" hidden files.

Probably an obvious answer, but I'm just curious to know what makes Netscape better than IE.

voidmain:
I think both IE *and* Netscape pretty much suck. I am becoming a big fan of KDE Konqueror even though it is not problem free (periodically hangs for me).  

I really like the control you have over JavaScript, Java, and Cookies. It can use the Netscape plugins (for flash etc). You can change the browser identification to a number of presets (IE on Win2k, etc) or you can set the identification to your own string.

Finally, it doesn't ever try to "phone home" so I feel a lot more comfortable that I am not being tracked.

Centurian:
Hey,

I have to agree with VoidMain. Both IE and Netscape suck. If your running under Windows I would recommend the Mozilla browser. Mozilla is the engine that netscape runs on. Mozilla is 100% freeware. It does have the phone home included but you can choose not to install it at install time. Mozilla runs circles around both IE and Netscape once it has started. It is a bit slow to startup though. You can turn on the quick launch option to cut down on the start time tremendously. You can find the latest build of Mozilla at www.mozilla.org

Alternatively the second choice is Opera. It is not IMHO the best browser around (I am sure someone will flame me on that statement) but it certainly beats IE hands down.

Under Linux I personally like both Konqueror, Galeon and Mozilla. Konqueror offers a comfortable file manager like feel which tends to be rather nice in a browser. In my recent understanding of Linux Konqueror seems to run under all desktops. Galeon on the other hand requires the Gnome desktop to be installed but it supports a very nice familiar interface for people who are used to IE style browsers. Mozilla has a place all to itself in my opinion. Runs very nicely under linux and offers a feel simular to Netscape but without the overload of bulk extra crap.

Later
Centurian

Calum:
I'm not flaming, but opera is the best browser around, due to its frugality with resources, and it's userfriendly approach to full customisability!
Plus, it's available for Windows (32 and 16 bit) as well as MacOS, Linux and also, OS/2, BeOS, SunOS et c et c so you can have the same browser on all yr miyriad of computers.
On the other hand, my sister is having a terrible time with windows at the moment, and can't get opera to stay upright for any length of time.
She prefers Copernicus, which is a search engine type application with a built in browser. Its browser is fast, but limited to 1 window at a time (when you open a new window, it comes up in yr default browser, which of course should be Opera!) and you can't switch the graphics loading on and off to my knowledge, to save loading a gumph heavy page.

Also, say again? what is the difference between Mozilla and Netscape? Aren't they just both pieces of AOL rubbish hacked onto old open source stuff? Please set me straight.

voidmain:
Can I get the source code for Opera, and can I get it for free (without the advertising shit?).  If not, then it's not the best browser (for me).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version