Author Topic: another voting poll  (Read 975 times)

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
another voting poll
« on: 19 June 2002, 10:09 »
zdnet auther trying to use desktop linux
go on over and vote for thou favorite desktop os out of window xp, macosx and linux. don't forget to read the article
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
another voting poll
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2002, 11:37 »
Oh my God.  What a bunch of sniveling whiners!  Read those reader comments? I would especially like to take that "ex-CIO" out behind the shed and kick is ass.  The article was funny because the guy was a n00b and all of his issues had simple answers. You would think he would have asked someone who knew a little about Linux to help him with the simple little issues rather than printing garbage.  But I guess that was the point of it, how easy is it on a n00b.  

Yes, we have it pretty good here at fuckmicrosoft.com.  I think I'll stay.  And has anyone else noticed it's been pretty quiet around here lately (knocking on wood) if you know what I mean.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Chooco

• Kudos: 0
another voting poll
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2002, 11:49 »
the guy who wrote that is very good at writing, everything he said was true. about Linux (KDE) being easy to use to some extent then dropping off into the deap end.

i voted Linux because i'm not sure if "everyday" includes games or not.....then i would have chose WinXP
interesting how close the numbers are though.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
another voting poll
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2002, 12:48 »
quote:

KDE is a decent place to work, though the user interface doesn't seem as sophisticated as Windows. In fact, KDE reminds me of a graphical environment of the pre-Windows era called Geoworks. America Online used this for its first DOS releases, as I remember, and it's how many of us were introduced to the wonders of a graphical interface. This is not a catty way of saying the KDE interface looks really old--it doesn't. I actually miss Geoworks, and wish it had proven a better challenger to Microsoft Windows.

You can find geoworks screenshots on www.toastytech.com

AOL

"My bodys broken, yours is bent" - by ________?

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: BOB X11 ]

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
another voting poll
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2002, 12:54 »
DOUBLE POSTED LIKE THE FOOL I AM!

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: BOB X11 ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
another voting poll
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2002, 14:46 »
some quotes:  
quote:
Alas, the only way to change the screen from low-resolution 640x480 to a more useful 1024x768 was to run a program called Xconfigurer from the command prompt. Or I could simply reinstall the OS, which seemed like the easier way out.
i hate reinstalling OSs. Also, "only way"? you expect a lot of ways? wouldn't that be more confusing?  
quote:
The installation CD for Red Hat was barely out of the drive when I started getting reader e-mail telling me I'd made a big mistake. Mandrake seemed to be a popular choice. Lindows also generated several reader recommendations.
from masochists maybe...  :D  
quote:
After I talked about my problems on the radio program, a reader send me instructions to solve the problem--but only if I had SuSE. I realized pretty quickly that his Linux and my Linux worked differently. This must be a source of at least occasional confusion.
don't know about that... If someone as non-knowledgeable as you figured it out "pretty quickly" then so must most people i would think...  
quote:
Not that it's bad, it's just really geeky. People who have a hard time with MS Windows would eventually find that making Linux do what they want is somewhere between extremely frustrating and impossible.
while subjective, this is an important point. I suspect that linux vendors should make an interface that's as patronising and dumb as Microsoft windows, and include instructions that the user should turn off the interface and uninstall it as soon as they get frustrated with it...

Overall though, the article is really good! i like how he is honest, not biased towards what he "knows" already, like so many are, and his comments i think could be taken on board by developers developers developers developers and distributers for consideration to make linux an easier OS to migrate to without losing any of its functionality. I think that should be the goal of GNU/Linux distributions right now.

byraway, here's how the poll stood when i went there:

quote:
Windows XP 3542 (31%)
MacOSX 4271 (37%)
Some flavor of Linux 3777 (33%)
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism