Author Topic: microsoft office release date, and pricing released!  (Read 1022 times)

raptor

• Kudos: 56
    • http://calyptos.com
http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-5065582.html?tag=fd_top

oh shit. i know it is the same price as the last version but damn. even if you are stuck with windows, get a clue they have versions of openoffice for windows!
"in a world without fences, who needs gates?"

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
microsoft office release date, and pricing released!
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2003, 02:47 »
Thats alot of money, but i guess its worth it for familiarity and comfort. Even though OpenOffice can do the same job as MSOffice, people freak out when even the slightest thing is different. Just look at some of the people working on your office or whatever. Move some desktop icons around and watch people freak out, or change colors, anything trivial like that and people cannot work. Try and change office suites on them, and you are going to see a panic, and quite possibly several deaths. Even the names would discourage people. Instead of Word, its called Writer. that might throw some people off you know. I guess basically what im trying to get to is that most people are fucking idiots and physically cannot use anything besides Word & Excell.

my frightening vision of an office that has just switched suites on its employees...

quote:
"Oh noes! the name of that function is the exact same, and works the exact same way, but how do i use this spreadsheet program!?!??!!211. better call tech suppport durr durr!".

even though they have been using excell for years. i bet you would hear this from most of your staff if you switched to another program.

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2003, 11:40 »
I think its openoffice 1.1 that has a little icon of an adobe mime type in the task bar.  Press it and your file is a PDF.

Can MS office save to Adobe formats?

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2003, 13:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by suselinux:

I doubt it.  That's not how MS works. PDF is now a competing product to MS XDOCS which is bundled into the next version of office.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2003, 13:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by ecsyle:951:
Thats alot of money, but i guess its worth it for familiarity and comfort. Even though OpenOffice can do the same job as MSOffice, people freak out when even the slightest thing is different.

If it's not different, why would you upgrade to the newer MS Office?

you're right, they are idiots.

[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: Stryker ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2003, 14:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by suselinux:
I think its openoffice 1.1 that has a little icon of an adobe mime type in the task bar.  Press it and your file is a PDF.

no, you most certainly cannot.

you'll notice openoffice.org can also save as staroffice, openoffice.org, wordperfect and a whole bunch of other popular file types. MS word cannot. MS office cannot even save as (let alone open) documents created in MS Works, their other office program!

the day MS office starts including these features from openoffice.org you can be sure that microsoft are laying off thousands and people are ditching their MS shares left and right because it will take imminent death to make them include functions which are useful to the user rather than functions designed to keep the money rolling in.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

ShawnD1

• Kudos: 106
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2003, 21:25 »
Why would they charge extra money for Outlook? Windows comes with Outlook Express and it seems to do everything Outlook can. It has all the same features and is just as insecure.
So why buy Outlook?

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2003, 21:47 »
Of course, if you just use Mac OS X you can make PDF's from any application.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #8 on: 20 August 2003, 23:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnD1:
Why would they charge extra money for Outlook? Windows comes with Outlook Express and it seems to do everything Outlook can. It has all the same features and is just as insecure.
So why buy Outlook?

damn right! especially when any windows user can save space on their drive and up reliability and security by removing outlook excess and internet exploder totally and replacing them with mozilla (plus mozilla mail).
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

ShawnD1

« Reply #9 on: 20 August 2003, 23:32 »
Actually it's not a good idea to remove IE. Mozilla is better but what happens if something happens to Mozilla... like anything at all happens. If IE is still there, you can use IE to get Mozilla back but if you don't have IE, you're somewhat screwed  :D

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: 20 August 2003, 23:36 »
outlook is more feature rich than outlook express. i have found express to be alot less stable than outlook, which isnt saying alot, since outlook is pretty unstable itself. ms office cannot save to a pdf, but i can print to a pdf file from any app. I have a full version of acrobat at work (the program kicks ass by the way), and it creates a virtual printer that you can send your doc to, to create a full pdf.

i have ms office & open office on both my windows machine, and my mac. the only gripe i have with openoffice is the time it takes to start up is rediculous. Even my linux box takes forever.

i doubt that there is much difference between officeXP and the new office. Not enough to justify spending $600 for. Or even the educational $129 version. Why bother when i can get an app that is more than compatible with ms office formats, free, is being developed faster than ms office, runs on multiple systems, and lets me worry about other things besides licensing and pirating apps just to get my work done. anyone that actually buys ms office is a fucking moron. an inexperienced buyer in a capitalist society? only when it comes to computers i guess. people are so fucking picky when it comes to anything they "need", why do they not act the same with computers? when somebody "needs" car insurance, they are going to check out at least 3 different places to get the best deal for the least amount of money. yet they blindly spend $600 for an office app for their home computer so they can write letters to aunt flo? for $600 i can buy a whole new computer, and get an os, and a shitload of software. hell, i'd even buy a boxed distro from the store.

raptor

« Reply #11 on: 20 August 2003, 23:52 »
at the company store it isnt $600 it is $60.

*if it is free why pay $60.*

but still! you are right about the $600 ordeal.

[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: raptor ]

ShawnD1

« Reply #12 on: 21 August 2003, 01:09 »
Outlook more stable? Outlook and Outlook Express unstable? Huh? How on earth does somebody crash a mail client? I only used Outlook for like a year but I've never crashed it.

raptor

« Reply #13 on: 21 August 2003, 01:29 »
quote:
Outlook more stable? Outlook and Outlook Express unstable? Huh? How on earth does somebody crash a mail client? I only used Outlook for like a year but I've never crashed it.

crashing a mail client is possible, especially outlook express or outlook!

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: 21 August 2003, 01:57 »
quote:

Well. First, you open the program, something goes wrong, and it crashes. Then you get a nice little dialog box saying that "outlook has fucking crashed, and would you like to report this to MS"? Or, sometimes it can crash when you download your mail. Thats always fun. I have used outlook & outlook express for almost 3 years, and it crashed. Using MS software is pretty much hit & miss. Some people seem to never have problems, whereas most people do. Im convinced that those who don't have problems are just glossing over the daily crashes & restarts, and programs crashing as "features" or something.

So, you have never had an application crash on you? I do not understand what you mean "How on earth does somebody crash a mail client?", its easy, and happens all the time. Just today i had windows media player crash on me. I was just playing music in the background and it crashed. Photoshop crashes on me sometimes (rarely, but it has happened), autocad freaks out once in a while. I have even had mozilla crash on me at least once. though, i can't remember a time when it happened since v1.3.