Author Topic: ...and in an even more terrible tribute to napster  (Read 1481 times)

sporkme

• Kudos: 149
    • http://sporkme.net/
http://www.saveinternetradio.org

forget 3wk... music labels see a huge profit to be had in internet radio.  i heard this on all things considered on public radio today and almost ran off the road.

they wanna charge outragous rates for their music being played for free. this will create a music juno... but it does not stop there.

they also want to know WHO listeded to WHAT, WHERE and WHEN.   hell, on that kick... even HOW.  marketing research at its finest.

i am guessing gnutella is next.

DAMMIT!

[ May 03, 2002: Message edited by: sporkme ]

just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
...and in an even more terrible tribute to napster
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2002, 00:16 »
it will be incrdibly hard to stop Gnutella or WinMX as they dont run through a central
server(s) like napster does.

[ May 03, 2002: Message edited by: Master of Reality ]

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

gnomez

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2002, 00:33 »
I don't see how music could ever be "protected" from sharing.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but even if gnutella didn't exist, couldn't you do something like create a program that captured the data the sound card processed and converted it into a sound file?  I mean, if you can listen to it can't you capture it in some way can't you?

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2002, 00:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by Garden GNOME:
I don't see how music could ever be "protected" from sharing.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but even if gnutella didn't exist, couldn't you do something like create a program that captured the data the sound card processed and converted it into a sound file?  I mean, if you can listen to it can't you capture it in some way can't you?

this is where microsofts new "take over music" scheme somes into play.

MS is going to embed into there OS a special type of windows media (.WMA) and have it specially encrypted all the way into the speakers. They are going to make special speakers that you HAVE TO use in order to listen to it, and they can make it so the music "expires" after any number of days and you cant listen to it anymore.

here for more info: http://forum.fuckmicrosoft.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000084

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2002, 00:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by Garden GNOME:

You sure can and there are lots of Audio recording programs out there.

gnomez

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2002, 00:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by Master of Reality:

this is where microsofts new "take over music" scheme somes into play.

MS is going to embed into there OS a special type of windows media (.WMA) and have it specially encrypted all the way into the speakers. They are going to make special speakers that you HAVE TO use in order to listen to it, and they can make it so the music "expires" after any number of days and you cant listen to it anymore.

here for more info: http://forum.fuckmicrosoft.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000084

That's totally sick.  And what does Microsoft have to gain from this?  I don't think they are a major record company.. are they being payed or something?

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2002, 01:05 »
A while back, his Gatesness wanted to buy up all of the great masterpices of art so he could develop a plasma screen that you hung in your house and licenced the paintings you wanted to display. You would have to pay a fee to have famous works of art streemed in to your living room so you could look at them.

Corbis, is Mr. Gate's foray in to the world of stock photography. Every time a magazine needs a little picture for an add or article, Gate's gets a cut.

So if gates controled music, he would be controlling the recording industry.

Do you remember the movie Sneakers? How at the end Ben Kingsly goes in to this speach about how money dosn't matter anymore, and information is what will determin who is rich and powerfull in the future. Well, that's exactly what's going on.

M$ crusades against open source for these very same reasons. They want to control how you get your information, where you get it, and why you get it. Because that way, they basically controll everything.

World domination? Maybe...

But more likely the domination of the Media.... close enugh to world domination I reckon.

MSN, WebTV, ComCast cabel, anyone?
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2002, 12:20 »
quote:
That's totally sick. And what does Microsoft have to gain from this? I don't think they are a major record company.. are they being payed or something?
What they hope to gain is the destruction of third party media players. They give the record companies what they've been lusting after for years: uncopyable digital music, and in return, Macro$uck gets a completely proprietary digital protocol that can be played only on winblows. Or so they hope. Of course, the record companies would be well advised to run from this just as fast as they can. Otherwise Macro$uck will find some way to fuck them over too, just as they did to IBM, Apple, Stac Electronics, Caldera, etc. & ad infinitum. And secondly, it's not going to work anyway. So what if they encrypt right up to those "special" speakers? Once it leaves those speakers, I can easily record the music with a microphone, digitize it and create a wav or mp3 file from it. In the end, they accomplish nothing. Just another desperate attempt to keep Winblows alive.