Author Topic: Those dipshits in M$ are at it again  (Read 579 times)

Enmity

• Kudos: 0
Those dipshits in M$ are at it again
« on: 25 October 2003, 11:02 »
Longhorn
This time it's PC magazine

Word of the day:

quote:
Possibly most important to developers, Orcas will fully support Longhorn's "managed interfaces." Managed code under .NET is type-safe and reliable; with Longhorn, the Windows API consists entirely of managed code

What the fuck

Linux gets a mention:

quote:
Desktop Linux faces challenges, however. Major roadblocks involve application availability, peripheral support, and standardized UIs. With no road map for the Linux community as a whole, realizing these goals will be tricky. What's worse, there's no apparent killer app for the Linux desktop.

Outfitted with plenty of small apps (most geared toward networking and software development), the mainstream distributions offer variety in the wrong place. The most significant productivity applications remain in Microsoft's court. Catching up is a monumental task, and developers and companies remain hesitant to develop for a platform with an uncertain adoption rate. It's a crippling chicken-or-egg problem.

The most significant problem, however, is peripheral driver support. Linux needs to emulate Windows XP's ability to allow peripheral attachment without quirky driver problems. Again, this is possible only if the software and peripheral developers support broad efforts for Linux and provide comprehensive hardware abstraction libraries.  

Fuck you talk about drivers? Drivers created for Windows work even better in Linux. Duh.

Apple gets a mention too, not bad:

quote:
Those using Macs in multiplatform environments will find that Panther has a greater variety of network connectivity options, including RSA's SecurID. The OS, which as before has an open-source Unix core, will provide better compatibility with Unix networks. Improvements to the Unix kernel will result in faster system performance. And Version 10.3 will certainly include the optimizations found in 10.2.7 and let the OS fully exploit the performance benefits of the 64-bit G5 processor.

However Apple proceeds, it will have more than just its small but dedicated user base watching. Apple has a history of innovation and of making waves that ripple throughout the industry.
< back    

WinFS bullshit,
Too much shit to quote

Wrapup:
FUD

[ October 25, 2003: Message edited by: Enmity ]

TCPA
DMCA
RIAA
LONGHORN

Mix'them together... What do you get?

A BIG FUCKING PILE OF STEAMING SHIT!!!

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2003, 14:26 »
I like cheese

2000 was the only good Windows, and I liked it really well. XP is the second best.

if longhorn piles the DRM on in required loads, then I don't think I'll be interested in it

oh wait... I'M ALREADY NOT. by that time, OS X, and NeXT will have made a resurgence, and will have made all other desktop OSes irrelevant.

NEXT REVIVAL BABY
Go the fuck ~

ErwinJ

« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2003, 05:24 »
quote:
Outfitted with plenty of small apps (most geared toward networking and software development), the mainstream distributions offer variety in the wrong place.

Well, I hate to admit it, but there they have a point. I myself am just about half-way between a regular person and a geek and I have to admit that half of the software shipped with the MDK9.1  distro I got doesn't mean shit to me.

quote:
The most significant productivity applications remain in Microsoft's court. Catching up is a monumental task, and developers and companies remain hesitant to develop for a platform with an uncertain adoption rate. It's a crippling chicken-or-egg problem.  

Okay. Have to take issue here. Just installed the latest OO1.1 version and it ROCKS.

And as far as the adoption rate is concerned: You just keep trying to make your clients jump through (overly expensive) hoops to keep up with your version of reality and see what that'll do to 'adoption rates'.

solarismka

« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2003, 05:36 »
Such bullshit!!! Linux has  better support than windows for drivers.  Thats just fact!  You do not need to hunt all over the place for the drives and if found, get currupted by the system!

Second, killer apps!  What about OO, Kazaa, xmule, xmms, xine, amsn etc etc etc.........

Also I find kde and gnome very standard!!!!

Anyone working with windows will be right at home with kde.  

Just another ill informed writer in a typical mag!

[ October 25, 2003: Message edited by: -=Solaris.M.K.A=- ]

"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.