Author Topic: HP and Dell drop Microsoft for Corel  (Read 1993 times)

1mck

• Kudos: 0
HP and Dell drop Microsoft for Corel
« on: 29 August 2002, 21:16 »
I found this little tidbit...Now all Corel has to do is get around that stupid contract that they signed to not put out their products for Linux:)

Microsoft, the world's biggest software group, on Monday suffered a blow to its most important business, when Hewlett-Packard, the world's largest personal computer company, selected a rival software package for its consumer PCs.

The move follows a decision last week by Dell Computer, the number two PC maker, to replace Microsoft software. Both companies said they would offer WordPerfect productivity software from Corel of Canada instead of Microsoft's Works, a scaled-down version of its top-selling Office software.

Microsoft last financial year generated $9.6bn of its total $28bn of revenues from desktop software. Microsoft currently has more than 90 per cent of the office productivity software market.

During the recent anti-trust hearings in Washington, PC makers said that Microsoft had been abusing its monopoly in operating systems and productivity tools, and in particular the way it licensed its products to PC makers. Gateway alleged that Microsoft favoured certain PC manufacturers both in financial and other means.

HP and Microsoft were not immediately available for comment.

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1028186043520&p=1012571727304

1mck----> Soon to be Windoze free:)

Chooco

« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2002, 11:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by 1mck:
Now all Corel has to do is get around that stupid contract that they signed to not put out their products for Linux

dude what are you talking about? i've actually SEEN that Corel Office package for Linux sold in Future Shop. it was right next to the Mandrake Linux and Turbo Linux boxes.

1mck

« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2002, 17:28 »
Yeah, I can go up to The Futureshop, and get it too, but it is no longer supported by Corel. They entered into a contract with Microsoft years ago to not develop their OS, nor would they develop their software for Linux. They have since siphoned off that OS, and I think it's called Xandros.

sporkme

• Kudos: 149
    • http://sporkme.net/
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2002, 02:17 »
well that's good news

does anyone know if they still offer office?  and can people get works if they ask for it?  i kinda doubt they have completely stricken it

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: sporkme / bob ]

just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2002, 02:29 »
my friend has it. PM me if you want it.

1mck

« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2002, 03:18 »
Chooco,

Here's the article that I found in Maclean's Magazine about the deal that Corel, and Microsoft entered into....Yeah, I was taken back by this also!

1mck
Member # 1374
  posted August 16, 2002 04:14 PM                  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I stumbled upon an article in "Maclean's" magazine, that really epitomizes how far that Microsoft is willing to go to cleanse the world of it's competition, and also how much Corel is lying. Please note, that this article is dated the 21st of February, 2001:
Probing Microsoft and Corel

The United States Justice Department's antitrust unit is investigating a deal reached last October between Microsoft and Ottawa-based software maker Corel corperation. Under the agreement, Redmond, Washington based Microsoft paid $208 million for 24% of Corel shares "and the Canadian company agreed to stop producing programs designed to run on the Linux Operating System, which competes with Microsoft Windows products."

I couldn't believe it when I read this, and yet I read about how Corel tried to make a go of it by providing their Linux OS free with their "Wordperfect Office Suite." Excuse my language, but BULLSHIT!!!! They sold out just like everybody else, and to think that I was going to write them a letter asking them to support "Lindows" when it comes out!

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: 1mck ]

AlexMax

« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2002, 04:10 »
Thats' funny...

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/minicat_dimen_8200.htm

I don't see any alternatives here...  Not even  FreeDOS...  Are they waiting to impliment?
Using a Microsoft product and hating every moment of it is the first step to liberation.

Windows XP User?
Windows XP LOSER! Go fuck yourself!

1mck

« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2002, 04:22 »
They just announced it, so it's probably going to take them a while to update everything, but still could this be the beginning to a new era of being Microsoft free?

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2002, 04:45 »
Re FreeDOS: You probably won't see it advertised. I believe it is more for corporate bulk buys. But you can always call them and ask...

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

sporkme

« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2002, 11:28 »
i just called them, you can get it
just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

cocoamix

« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2002, 01:03 »
Damn, that's gotta hurt. Corel stock probably shot up.

sporkme

« Reply #11 on: 2 September 2002, 13:38 »
wut iz du stok markt

i m no gud at et