Author Topic: Microsoft products in Cuba  (Read 4137 times)

alied_perez

• Kudos: 0
Microsoft products in Cuba
« on: 31 May 2002, 05:38 »
You wouldn't imagine how much M$-tied are people here in Cuba. Almost everybody who has a pc uses Windows. All government, educational, private institutions, people at home; everyone. At school, knowing computers == knowing Windows. to get a job, you have to know Windows. There are also many arseholes who can use the Windows Explorer and type a letter in Word and they tell you they Know a lot about computers (in spanish it is: "le s
Windows 95 (win-doz-nin-te-fiv) n. Computer
32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2002, 21:00 »
Your English is very good (better than a lot of us who's primary language is English, including me). Nice to hear from you. Do you have any experience with Linux/UNIX or is all of your experience with Microshaft?

Also, is internet access common for most people in Cuba or is it difficult to get? Just curious.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

dbl221

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2002, 21:22 »
Yep your english is perfect by Candian standards...better than my last Unix professor.  Lets hope we can sway the people of Cuba in the Linux direction.

Good Luck
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

Nobber

• Kudos: 55
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2002, 13:45 »
China was a hotbed of unauthorised copies of Windows (and probably still is), but has been under pressure from the WTO to stamp out the unauthorised use of copyrighted software. Interestingly, this has given Linux a boost in that country: rather than paying for Windows, governments local and central are encouraging the use of free software.

I don't see Cuba joining the WTO for a while yet, though!  :D  

(I use the word "unauthorised" for shameless propaganda purposes. The words "pirated" and "illegal" suggest some sort of wrongdoing, which I think would be misleading; "unauthorised", on the other hand, suggests (I hope) defiance of a tyrannical authority (i.e. Microsoft), which is surely to be encouraged.  ;)  )
As sure as eggs is eggs.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2002, 13:56 »
welcome to the fold, alied_perez! i look forward to seeing you around on these forums, the thing about uprooting a monopoly situation (and that's what it is, the fact of whether the stuff is paid for or not is almost moot) is that it must be done by people. The more the better, and you are a person and so am i. As you say, if more people start to think about this for themselves, we may see change. This applies to a lot of things and not just systems.

just rambling again!  :D
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2002, 14:25 »
quote:
alied_perez: You wouldn't imagine how much M$-tied are people here in Cuba.

Huh? The Cuban people can go to the internet? Does Fidel Castro allow it?  :confused:

Nobber

• Kudos: 55
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2002, 17:54 »
This article gives some idea of how internet access in Cuba is achieved (but also controlled).

And here's another article I found called The Impact of the Internet on the Politics of Cuba.
As sure as eggs is eggs.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2002, 18:53 »
Thanks Nobber, this is very interesting stuff  ;)

alied_perez

« Reply #8 on: 1 June 2002, 02:34 »
hello again(I must enter past 17 O local time)

I've been reading your answers and questions and I'll try to answer all of them.

Voidmain:
Thanx for my English.

I have some(yet not very deep) experience with UNIX/LINUX; I used to be NT Administrator and there was an SCO for routing and e-mail. root was friend of mine and sometimes I had to call him to fix some "configuration" I did.

Internet is not common but State Enterprises allow people(like me) to access from work. Perhaps they are more flexibles about it than in other countries, since you can access later at home and we can't. Of Course, there is always some ISP admin who can "get a deal" if you have some... resources(And if you have a PC, a modem and a telephone line at home, I bet you have)

Anyway, Internet access is in the hands of the gobernment and 2 or 3 State Companies. And to be allowed have this access, besides having the money(here money talks as well as in other countries) the State Security Department(DSE) must authorise you.

Calum:
Thanx for the welcome!!
I agree about uprooting a monopoly must be done by people, and right, not only to M$, but some other things; such as those which make you think some way or manipulate your thoughts. If I mention about M$ not receiving money for their so called software, I did it because it's some way to laugh at Mr Gates(not the best, I agree)

Later I'll continue, I'm out of power(Not enought fuel in the country :-( )
32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #9 on: 1 June 2002, 02:45 »
viva anarchy
--------------
cuinaand anarchy
-------------------
Nah... Anarchy doesnt work, Communism is slightly worse than anarchy (in my opinion), democracy doesnt work and tyranny definatly does not work. We need to  work together and not need a governing body that is regarded as "above" everyone else. In every country you will hear about scandals and immoral activity of governing bodies such as cops, presidents, prime ministers.. and they dont get punished because they are "above" everyone else. Even celebraties get this kind of "higher" treatment; they dont go to jail, they just have their salaries "garnished" and dont think that some corrupt cop or other authority doesnt cash in by "pocketing" some of this money.
No none of the current government systems are nearly adequate enough. But we do not have a society that can handle a completely different outlook on government, where the people as a whole get to decide. If voting made a difference in democracy it would be illegal. Todays society is like a disease eating away at itself.

(i should have done this in a new post and there is no way in hell that i am going to translate this into Sindarin)

[ May 31, 2002: Message edited by: Master of Reality ]

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

alied_perez

« Reply #10 on: 1 June 2002, 03:03 »
Just willing to annoy about power!! (I have to say it in Spanish so I feel it wel: "Ganas de joder con la luz!!")

Well, Here I'm again

Yes Refalm,  so far, Castro allows that.

The article given by Nobber is almost exact; having an own computer here is like having a 2003 BMW or something like this(I don't wanna talk about salaries...)

Internet (as well as all media) has been used by the government for their very own purposes and they don't imagine it could be used for others

ThanX you all for answering me. I just needed to be heared.

I'll keep in touch ... as long as I can
ciao

alied_perez

« Reply #11 on: 1 June 2002, 03:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by Master of Reality:
viva communism!
--------------
cuinaand communism!

[ May 31, 2002: Message edited by: Master of Reality ]

hey!!! that's not funny!!!
I wish you were living here for just a couple months and you'll see what comunism's like!!!

BTW, don't say thet before any Cuban, they might believe you are "comunista", and I'll not be responsible

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #12 on: 1 June 2002, 07:29 »
I edited my above post.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Ctrl Alt Del 123

« Reply #13 on: 1 June 2002, 07:41 »
Wow, my 4 years in Spanish MIGHT ACTUALLY PAY OFF AND HAVE A USE!!!!!

alied_perez

« Reply #14 on: 1 June 2002, 07:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ctrl Alt Del 123:
Wow, my 4 years in Spanish MIGHT ACTUALLY PAY OFF AND HAVE A USE!!!!!