Author Topic: Microsoft will help design High School  (Read 2028 times)

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
Microsoft will help design High School
« on: 5 September 2003, 06:42 »
article

All of the sudden, I'm glad I'm not in Philadelphia. Just imagine school being called off for BSOD days . . .

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #1 on: 5 September 2003, 07:23 »
quote:
All of the sudden, I'm glad I'm not in Philadelphia. Just imagine school being called off for BSOD days . . .

Is that a good or a bad thing?   :D

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #2 on: 5 September 2003, 08:10 »
Insane...computerize everything whether it needs computerization or not.  Forget teachers, technology is the key to education.  

%$^#

I'm all for using technology to facilitate learning, but this sounds like technology for technology's sake.  

Like Scotty said:  The more you overthink the plubming, the easier it is to stop up the drain.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #3 on: 5 September 2003, 21:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by M. O'Brien:
Insane...computerize everything whether it needs computerization or not.  Forget teachers, technology is the key to education.  

%$^#

I'm all for using technology to facilitate learning, but this sounds like technology for technology's sake.  

Like Scotty said:  The more you overthink the plubming, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

My HS has at least 2 PC's in every classroom, 1 for the teacher, and 1 student machine. today I had to go around and manually shut them  all down in order to patch them, because of SoBig. the only boxen that were on by the time I was done were our Netware server and the non-networked Video edit machine (3 of which are Mac's (2 dual G4 towers, 1 G3 tower(too bad the teacher is pure evil)))
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #4 on: 5 September 2003, 11:44 »
I used macs till grade 11 then our school got PC's

I graduated from a windows infected school, I feel so durty

solarismka

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: 5 September 2003, 11:57 »
Well looking back at the current education with current M$ networks.  Already current networks are SO vulnrable to attack that its not even funny.

If everthing IS computerised by this company.  Then what will happen when the grades keep changing by different levels of breakins?  How much will the learning prossess be inturupted by constant crashes?  what about the latest virii and/or worms which will caust the tax payer millions in damage and damage to the childrens future?  even average maintenence, which will be continuos and always ongoing?

How can anyone trust a company that knows it CANNOT create a secure, quality product!

And the throw in DRM forced upgrades and constant lockins with a sprincle of politics on top!

Its a multi million dollar death trap bound to turn out ANOTHER idiot president!  :(
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
« Reply #6 on: 5 September 2003, 13:22 »
M
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

Enmity

« Reply #7 on: 5 September 2003, 16:46 »
quote:
Joe Wilcox, an analyst for Jupiter Research, pointed out that such projects give Microsoft a chance to promote its systems, build brand loyalty among young students, and use the school as a laboratory for future development of educational products.

Ah.
TCPA
DMCA
RIAA
LONGHORN

Mix'them together... What do you get?

A BIG FUCKING PILE OF STEAMING SHIT!!!

Faust

« Reply #8 on: 5 September 2003, 17:05 »
As I've said before, corporations DO NOT BELONG IN SCHOOLS.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #9 on: 5 September 2003, 21:07 »
You could always read the rest of the article

"Philadelphia won't be required to buy Microsoft products; technology will be selected through an open bidding process. The software giant won't be involved in teaching classes or managing the school once it opens.

The company also isn't planning any major donations of equipment or cash, officials said. The school district will pick up the entire $46 million cost of the school.

Instead of free hardware and software, Microsoft's main contribution to the project will be expertise, said the company's executive director of learning technologies, Wanda Miles."

Faust

« Reply #10 on: 5 September 2003, 23:23 »
quote:
Microsoft's main contribution to the project will be expertise

What will their expert advice reccomend pray tell?
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #11 on: 5 September 2003, 23:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by Faust:

What will their expert advice reccomend pray tell?

I think it's pretty certain they won't recommend Linux.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Maniaman

« Reply #12 on: 6 September 2003, 04:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by [root@localhost /]$:

My HS has at least 2 PC's in every classroom...

Atleast 5 computers in each class in my school, all of wich run Windows 2000 or XPussy. Along with 4 computer labs. I'm glad I save often, seeing as I almost lost an entire assignment when explorer.exe crashed and the Task Manager wouldn't allow me to open explorer.exe again.
I use my hotmail email on here to keep from begin spammed by trolls. If you want my good email address for something then ask... :)

Enmity

« Reply #13 on: 6 September 2003, 08:54 »
Trust the windows "OS" to save your exam stuff....
TCPA
DMCA
RIAA
LONGHORN

Mix'them together... What do you get?

A BIG FUCKING PILE OF STEAMING SHIT!!!

solarismka

« Reply #14 on: 7 September 2003, 04:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by M. O'Brien:

I think it's pretty certain they won't recommend Linux.

Their expert advice would be 'how to steel lunch money from defensless kids AND get away with it.'  :D
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.