Author Topic: names for the cause  (Read 1252 times)

avello500

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
names for the cause
« on: 5 February 2003, 04:34 »
ok if you read thru the other post then you know whats up. if not then i suggest you read thru cabin fever post.
so we need a name. i figure once we get a good list then we go for a poll.
everyone is welcome to help as long as we keep it constructive please.

my first suggestion is   "free your desktop"

ill come up with more soon im sure.

who's next?
How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

PsychoticDreams

names for the cause
« Reply #1 on: 5 February 2003, 05:50 »
desktop revolution

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
names for the cause
« Reply #2 on: 5 February 2003, 07:56 »
This is the perfect opportunity to use a cool acronym.

*People for Better Operating System Alternatives (PBOSA)

*People for Better Computing

*People for Superior Computing

*The World Open Source Alternatives Group (WOSAG)

*Or simply "The Open Force." Then our logo could be a penguin in cammo gear holding a rifle or something.

xyle or muffin man or me could make a cool logo (we could have another image battle).

[ February 04, 2003: Message edited by: Macman: LITERALLY a genius / bob ]

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
names for the cause
« Reply #3 on: 5 February 2003, 08:13 »
The Stable Software Society.

The Open Computing Organization

The send Speedfreak a cure for whatever hellish sickness he has and get people off of Windows Foundation.

Oog.
"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

avello500

names for the cause
« Reply #4 on: 5 February 2003, 08:33 »
those are nice choices
how about
*freedom for computers*
How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
names for the cause
« Reply #5 on: 5 February 2003, 10:02 »
"Software Freedom Foundation"
motto "Join us now and share software"

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
names for the cause
« Reply #6 on: 5 February 2003, 10:04 »
How about "OpenOpen" (yes they are joined together.
Motto "Opening Open Source Software."

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
names for the cause
« Reply #7 on: 5 February 2003, 14:43 »
i like OpenOpen and Software Freedom Foundation. i also like the two slogans that go with them.

What's wrong with 'The Microsoft Eradication Society'? are you afraid the webmaster will sue us?

I really think there should be a more private discussion board for those who are really interested in this to sign up on and really get down to it. or maybe an email mailing list would be a better choice?

as for an original name, how about 'Better Computing for Businesses and Education (BCBE)' now *wait* i know that's boring and you've forgotten it already but listen to me for a second. We don't need a flashy name like 'radically free software society', we need something that isn't going to startle and frighten the windoids who we are targeting. they are very delicate remember and they have the power to throw our material in the bin and ignore us if they think we are a bunch of radicals. this must be done properly from the start. That's why Better Computing for Businesses and Education is a good idea. What we really need is some kind of corporate logo to use as a letterhead (i'm no designer but i know a few of you are).

Those are my thoughts.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
names for the cause
« Reply #8 on: 5 February 2003, 15:07 »
I don't like to see a cleaver and nifty name like Open Force wasted, but maybe someone can use it for something else. Yes, there are already too many anti-Windows people that are radicals, although maybe we shouldn't have Microsoft actually in the name either.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
names for the cause
« Reply #9 on: 5 February 2003, 15:25 »
now i *really* like Open Force, but i strongly stand by 'Better Computing for Businesses and Education (BCBE)' because it's not threatening and it is vague enough that the recipient might actually read something that says that at the top.

i think we should get in touch with the following two organisations and see if we can't work out something with them:

The Open CD
quote:
Currently, the disc is aimed solidly at non-techies. The primary audience is expected to consist mostly of people who use computers regularly for their work, but are not power users. This might be, for example, Jane from Accounting, who spends a lot of time working on spreadsheets and checking her email. She can find her way around the computer without too much trouble, but wouldn't know a kernel from a TCP/IP stack. By showing the benefits of Open Source Software to users such as these, we hope to encourage its adoption -- in the workplace, in schools, and by individuals.

and

GNU Generation (who make GNUWinII)

quote:
The purpose of GNUWin-II is to help Windows users discover the free software and Open Source world. After using free software on MS-Windows, it is easier to migrate to a free operating system (GNU/Linux for instance), where the same programs are used.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
names for the cause
« Reply #10 on: 5 February 2003, 17:39 »
I agree with Calum's proposal. Couldn't have come up with a better one myself. The Microsoft Eradication Society is also nice but a bit radical to a certain extent.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
names for the cause
« Reply #11 on: 5 February 2003, 22:01 »
quote:
Calum:
I really think there should be a more private discussion board for those who are really interested in this to sign up on and really get down to it. or maybe an email mailing list would be a better choice?

yes. i think thats a good idea. it will def control the trolls, and we can actually focus on the objective.

as for logo design & graphics, i'll lend my hand (or mouse as the case may be) for some design work. free & for a cause    
 'Better Computing for Businesses and Education (BCBE)' is a good name. its to the point & non-insulting.

avello500

names for the cause
« Reply #12 on: 5 February 2003, 22:57 »
im all for BCBE, its direct, informative yet not offensive. i also agree a more private discussion area might be more productive.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
names for the cause
« Reply #13 on: 5 February 2003, 23:17 »
don't forget those of us that are users of other platforms. the BCBE is good... what about a logo? The soldier penguin is all well and good, but we're more than just Linux users. What about Tux, the BSD Daemon, geared up, with one of them (the BSD Daemon) holding an Apple shield, since OS X is BSD-derived.

but that'd get a little too busy. Maybe sillhouettes of different logos, like Tux, the Daemon, the X, the Solaris logo, the Irix logo, et cetera
Go the fuck ~

avello500

names for the cause
« Reply #14 on: 5 February 2003, 23:24 »
how about a open door?