Author Topic: A Mortal Microsoft  (Read 1143 times)

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

• Kudos: 125
A Mortal Microsoft
« on: 14 October 2002, 23:07 »
http://news.com.com/2009-1001-961291.html?tag=fd_lede1_hed

Unlike Cnet to do an article like this but hey.

"For the first time in years, Microsoft seems vulnerable.

The technology recession, strategic miscalculations and general wariness following the Justice Department's four-year antitrust case have resulted in a psychological shift against Microsoft throughout the industry. Rivals and customers are sensing opportunities to challenge the software empire after decades of presumed invincibility."

slave

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
A Mortal Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2002, 00:42 »
You see, that's why they're coming out with Longhorn, to put an end to free software once and for all.

DJ

• http://mypage.iu.edu/~dpjackso
A Mortal Microsoft
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2002, 00:51 »
A feeble attempt that will no doubt be cracked/thwarted soon after its release, just as counterfeiters had replica 50/100s within week of the new design

Not that it matters anyway

DJ
=)

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
A Mortal Microsoft
« Reply #3 on: 15 October 2002, 08:59 »
No XP, it will just be the end of illegally free copies of Windows on file-sharing nets. Actually, even that's doubtful. I say 3-4 weeks after it's put on shelves until a crack for longhorn is released. I really don't think longhorn will have as big of an audience either. If i'm not mistaken, it's switching to an entirely new filesystem, and they'll probably link it to MS servers so they can shut you down at a whim. (They can do that now, can't they?) And they'll end up packaging it with a 1-year licence (that everyone will click yes to) and charge...$250 a year...oh, sorry, a low introductory rate of 19.95 per month for it's use. Remember XP, longhorn is the (possible but very unlikely) end of -=illegally=- free software.

Key word (and phrase) of the evening for XP user: illegal, monopolistic practices
"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
A Mortal Microsoft
« Reply #4 on: 15 October 2002, 21:51 »
Jeez, I thought the topic name was "A Moral Microsoft"...I almost had a stroke!

Yes, just like any company M$ is mortal, and making mistakes. Just like Intel, and Intel DID LOSE market share to AMD. It looks like M$ may lose some market share to Linux, Unix, and Apple/Mac OS. It's about time is all I have to say!

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

• Kudos: 125
A Mortal Microsoft
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2002, 01:38 »
Day 2 is now on Cnet.  If anybody is interested.

Personally i hope that the smaller software makers cause a rough ride for MS.

On the other hand it seems MS want to be able to do anything with software and some hardware, lets do anOS, lets do Homenetworking kits, lets do accounting software, lets do Office productivity, lets do games.  Heck why not do it like apple and build everything ourselves for ourselves!

If they did that nobody would buy them i would hope.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
A Mortal Microsoft
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2002, 02:22 »
i liked this  
quote:
 "Now they look at something like Windows XP and say, 'OK, it's more stable, but I have to buy new machines. I don't think Microsoft has ever made a version of its products that used less resources than the previous version.' Or, 'Windows 2000 Server looks really good, but all I need is a Web site, and I can take this old 486 and I can put Red Hat Linux and Apache on it and have a Web server up in no time at all,'" Cherry said.

TB

A Mortal Microsoft
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2002, 12:01 »
quote:
Posted by XP Loser

You see, that's why they're coming out with Longhorn, to put an end to free software once and for all.

XP Loser, care to explain ANY merits of putting an end to free software (besides filling the coffers of simian-like corporate executives??). Trick question dickhead, there are none.

I know this post is as effective as talking to a brick wall but all I've heard from you is disgusting worship of corporate oppression. I, for one, do not want to be told by a faceless corporation what hardware or software I can and cannot use (which are the basic ramifications of TCPA/Palladium), neither do i want my privacy invaded. And I at least want some damn CHOICE when it comes to certain software. I sure as hell wont cough up $1000+ for a buggy piece shit I can install only a limited number of times (thanks to M$ product authentication) if i can find something equally reliable (or even more so) for free.

Why dont you just shut up XP Loser, and go back to fellating the board of directors at Microsoft.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
A Mortal Microsoft
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2002, 15:11 »
careful now, while i agree with you 100%, xp loser didn't actually say he likes the idea, and he seems to be a real dual personality these days when it comes to fellating Microsoft executives. he even said he liked red hat somewhere!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

AlexMax

A Mortal Microsoft
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2002, 23:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by Windows XP User #5225982375:

And of course the uninformed prepubescent know it all is correct....oh puhleeze....

But it's nice that even networks like CNet are waking up to reality.

[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: AlexMax ]

Using a Microsoft product and hating every moment of it is the first step to liberation.

Windows XP User?
Windows XP LOSER! Go fuck yourself!