Author Topic: XIMIAN OR WINDOWS  (Read 1052 times)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
XIMIAN OR WINDOWS
« on: 8 April 2002, 19:18 »
Which do you think is better looking

WINDOWS....

OR XIMIAN. And if you havent seen Ximian (or windows)

HERE ARE THE SCREENSHOTS

Personally i think ximian is dead sexy...

A Special note:
This is a debate, but no bullshit.

Centurian

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.darkmares.2ya.com
XIMIAN OR WINDOWS
« Reply #1 on: 8 April 2002, 19:48 »
Hey,

Here is a couple more Screenshots

They are off of my site at Dark Mares

Just gives you a few more to look at if you want.  
Later
Centurian

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
XIMIAN OR WINDOWS
« Reply #2 on: 8 April 2002, 20:49 »
given the disposition of the site here, i doubt many people will post saying they like the look of the windows desktop better, except obviously goosedberry cock, and possibly zombie346723467 and bateleur who already kludged up these forums with huge screenshots rather than sensibly linking to them like you guys did.

Anyway, i take it that when my red hat 7.2 arrives it won't have this cuddly version of GNOME? will i have to download XIMIAN to use it or will it come with RH7.2?
It does look really good...

My needs in a desktop situation are basically total control with a minimum of frills.
A feature that i find sorely lacking in most desktops is tha ability to cycle the desktops at user defined intervals, from a directory (or directories in the case of multiple desktops) of the user's choice. Of course this may be commonplace now, as i have old software blah blah yadda yadda...

Also it would be nice to have control over the file associations right from the desktop, and i'm sure there's a bunch of other stuff too.
XIMIAN looks nice, but how does it perform?
i couldn't get my (old i know) version of enlightenment to even do the desktop cycling thing, would you believe...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
XIMIAN OR WINDOWS
« Reply #3 on: 8 April 2002, 21:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
given the disposition of the site here, i doubt many people will post saying they like the look of the windows desktop better, except obviously goosedberry cock, and possibly zombie346723467 and bateleur who already kludged up these forums with huge screenshots rather than sensibly linking to them like you guys did.

Anyway, i take it that when my red hat 7.2 arrives it won't have this cuddly version of GNOME? will i have to download XIMIAN to use it or will it come with RH7.2?
It does look really good...

My needs in a desktop situation are basically total control with a minimum of frills.
A feature that i find sorely lacking in most desktops is tha ability to cycle the desktops at user defined intervals, from a directory (or directories in the case of multiple desktops) of the user's choice. Of course this may be commonplace now, as i have old software blah blah yadda yadda...

Also it would be nice to have control over the file associations right from the desktop, and i'm sure there's a bunch of other stuff too.
XIMIAN looks nice, but how does it perform?
i couldn't get my (old i know) version of enlightenment to even do the desktop cycling thing, would you believe...

It sorta does, i also have the Full Boxed Set of red-hat. And it come's with GNOME 1.4 but red-hat slightly modifyed the layout to look more traditional. You could customize it, but i just reinstalled.

On my website i am to get more and more and more screenshots. And i am also getting one of my favorite computers soon an "Apple Classic II"
I like the way they...  work. They dont crash or
give me shit! Thats why i like apple, even if am poor and cont afford a good one. I like PC's because i can upgrade.

At my local lan party i asked people what Desktop they liked the best, most said GNOME. One of them said someone should port GNOME to windows.

But yes GNOME is clearly a nice desktop. Its only compitition is KDE. And Microsoft arn't in the race. But i will get a Screenshot of KDE there.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
XIMIAN OR WINDOWS
« Reply #4 on: 8 April 2002, 21:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by Centurian:
Hey,

Here is a couple more Screenshots

They are off of my site at Dark Mares

Just gives you a few more to look at if you want.    

Nice background. I must say, Nice background. Mines always plain. But that was nice.
I might do one of my brothers PC in Gnome.
But its @ 1600x1200x32 mainly because its plugged
into a 60cm TV.

Centurian

• http://www.darkmares.2ya.com
XIMIAN OR WINDOWS
« Reply #5 on: 8 April 2002, 23:15 »
Hey,

quote:
Originally posted by X11:

Nice background. I must say, Nice background. Mines always plain. But that was nice.
I might do one of my brothers PC in Gnome.
But its @ 1600x1200x32 mainly because its plugged
into a 60cm TV.

Thank you.  

I made that in Bryce. I am a horrible artist except when I am using Bryce. Unfortunately it has not been ported to Linux as of yet. So I have to use Windows when I want to create some cool art.

I would love to see any that you create. I kinda get into scenery pics particularly computer generated ones.  
Later
Centurian

Gooseberry Clock

• http://redrangersoftware.cjb.net/
XIMIAN OR WINDOWS
« Reply #6 on: 8 April 2002, 23:53 »
Oh dear, you slipped in some anti-Microsoft code. And you misspelt my name. Welcome to the list of people that suck.

*goes straight to  http://x11.150m.com/index2.html*

You'll never stop me.

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Gooseberry Clock ]

Gooseberry Cock

• http://www.sci.fi/~pob41/ih8msw1n.htm
XIMIAN OR WINDOWS
« Reply #7 on: 9 April 2002, 14:13 »
Oh dear, I seem to have pissed myself. And I can't spell my name. I think I should learn to write now.

You should click on this totally useless link which might not even work.

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Gooseberry Cock ]

badkarma

• VIP
XIMIAN OR WINDOWS
« Reply #8 on: 9 April 2002, 15:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gooseberry Clock:
Welcome to the list of people that suck.

Wow, you must be pretty high up your own list then .....
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
XIMIAN OR WINDOWS
« Reply #9 on: 9 April 2002, 17:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by Centurian:
Hey,

Thank you.      

I made that in Bryce. I am a horrible artist except when I am using Bryce. Unfortunately it has not been ported to Linux as of yet. So I have to use Windows when I want to create some cool art.

I would love to see any that you create. I kinda get into scenery pics particularly computer generated ones.      

I suck at computer art... I write stupid programs in Powerbasic... I also can do flash stuff

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: X11 ]

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
XIMIAN OR WINDOWS
« Reply #10 on: 9 April 2002, 17:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gooseberry Clock:
Oh dear, you slipped in some anti-Microsoft code. And you misspelt my name. Welcome to the list of people that suck.

*goes straight to  http://x11.150m.com/index2.html*

You'll never stop me.

I working on haveing IE users booted from the main page. But im having trouble. i want IE users to go away, and all others to stay.
It needs to be JavaScript. And it needs to be small, if you would help i would love it. Thank-you

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
XIMIAN OR WINDOWS
« Reply #11 on: 9 April 2002, 20:39 »
I would like to say that my mainpage of my site is
Internet Explorer proof.

SO EAT IT GOOSENBURY!!!!

Suck my balls...

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
XIMIAN OR WINDOWS
« Reply #12 on: 10 April 2002, 03:50 »
HEHEH! Im posting from IE on a friends computer and got to see the page  that all those unfortunates who use this horrible pice of software over mozilla.

Good work X11!
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

sporkme

• Kudos: 149
    • http://sporkme.net/
XIMIAN OR WINDOWS
« Reply #13 on: 20 April 2002, 13:23 »
stepping outside of myself so to provide an unbiased opinion on the whole desktop sexiness issue, my vote goes to ximian.

stepping back in, ximian definitely gets my vote because my windows desktop is a horribly ugly blue screen, with some ascii text and an error message.

oh, and like anyone but goosenutclucker cares, if you have all the latest updates for winblows 98 and internet exploder 6, there is about a 50% chance you cannot play any streaming media.  real cute, especially when i went to m$ website and looked for an explanation.  they provide a shoddy workaround for free, or the "solution" for 40 bucks.

anyone else feel like windows is the user of you?
of course you do.  sad they own everything.
just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
XIMIAN OR WINDOWS
« Reply #14 on: 20 April 2002, 14:02 »
Must i also state in "Windows 98 SE" fresh install
i installed that and Winzip, to install more software. I click extract in winzip and the copmputer reboots. Nice eh