Author Topic: $521 million jury verdict  (Read 567 times)

avello500

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
$521 million jury verdict
« on: 1 October 2003, 12:51 »
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1304287,00.asp?kc=EWTH102099TX1K0100487

quote:
To Michael Doyle, the recent victory for his company, Eolas Technologies Inc., against Microsoft Corp. in a Web browser patent-infringement lawsuit shouldn't be leading to a re-examination of anything more than Microsoft itself. Doyle, who founded the Chicago company, disagrees with the World Wide Web Consortium's move on Tuesday to create an advisory group to consider whether the $521 million jury verdict in the case will require changes to HTML. Instead, he says Microsoft should settle the case, and the Web community should encourage the software giant to do so.

it smells of a bitter billy.
makes me laugh out loud.
How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #1 on: 1 October 2003, 15:41 »
I hope the W3C announces that no changes will be made.

And I hope MS appeals this, and that they win. Software patents CANNOT be allowed to exist in this form. I don't care if someone proves that MS's entire product line is bunk... I'd be on Billy's side because I hate software patents.

Fuck software patents, fuck the DMCA, and fuck Eolas.
Go the fuck ~

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #2 on: 2 October 2003, 05:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy the Shyster:
I hope the W3C announces that no changes will be made.

And I hope MS appeals this, and that they win. Software patents CANNOT be allowed to exist in this form. I don't care if someone proves that MS's entire product line is bunk... I'd be on Billy's side because I hate software patents.

Fuck software patents, fuck the DMCA, and fuck Eolas.

uhhhhh its not MS that doesnt want to change HTML its Doyle. MS doesnt give a shit.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Doctor V

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: 2 October 2003, 08:27 »
No one here likes rooting for M$, but I think this has to be an exception.  If this crap is allowed to continue, pretty soon were going to have so many patents going around that casual programming is going to be all but illegal.  Every piece of code that someone could come up with or every action performed by a program is going to end up being someone's property.

This is going to slow down the industry faster than M$ ever could.  The job market for programmers is already low enough, its going to get a lot worse if this continues because companys are going to be too afraid of getting sued to start any new projects.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2003, 23:04 »
ITM