Author Topic: Microsoft, Panasonic propose (another) CD standard  (Read 933 times)

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
Microsoft, Panasonic propose (another) CD standard
« on: 18 October 2002, 22:08 »
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/27697.html

If this goes through it will just be another thing that can't be used in non-MS OSes.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2002, 22:33 »
And you believe this is a good thing? Even though the article didn't say it, I would tend to agree with your statement. It has proprietary written all over it. It did say it would be compatible with existing CDR and CDRW formats and there is no reason  listed in the article that it would only work with M$. However, when they start talking about single image and metadata I see DRM written all over it. I suspect you could use it as a normal CDR/RW drive but it will also be able to play proprietary CDs that can only be played if you enter the proper key to unlock it. Of course this is all speculation on my part. I certainly don't trust *anything* Microsoft is involved in.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

beltorak0

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.angelfire.com/realm/beltorak
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2002, 07:36 »
DRM is written in the name: High Media ACCESS Technology, HighMAT.

What do you think that word ACCESS means??

-t.
from Attrition.Org

quote:
Like many times before, Microsoft is re-inventing the wheel and opting for something other than round.

-t.

Doctor V

« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2002, 21:57 »
I just don't get it, why on earth would anyone be happy about this.  There is nothing good about it at all.    :confused:   MS will only further be able to enforce what media files a user is able to play on their computer.  Zombie, XP Looser and RRS will all be saying "yesterday with windoze I could do x, y, and z.  today I can only do x, and y, lets celebrate!".  What the hell are you guys thinking?

V

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2002, 12:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor V:
I just don't get it, why on earth would anyone be happy about this.  There is nothing good about it at all.     :confused:    MS will only further be able to enforce what media files a user is able to play on their computer.  Zombie, XP Looser and RRS will all be saying "yesterday with windoze I could do x, y, and z.  today I can only do x, and y, lets celebrate!".  What the hell are you guys thinking?

V

I never siad I was happy about it...then again I never said that I was unhappy about it either. It simply doesn't matter to me, because I use Windows so a propriarity CD format/filesystem that only works in Windows won't affect me at all.

So to make a long story short..my feelings about it are nuetral. ;P

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2002, 13:00 »
the register is usually quite sceptical about Microsoft goings on however this time it does not seem too bothered.
quote:
HighMAT supports the Windows Media Audio, MP3, JPEG, Windows Media Video, and MPEG4 formats.
and since the whole point seems to be that there are a lot more file formats et c than there used to be, i don't know that this will be windows only. the only hint that that might be the case is that microsoft are involved and they are allegedly pushing for this sort of thing elsewhere too. Fair enough in some people's minds but hardly conclusive.

Secondly, as you lot are saying, how's this going to take off when people can still get normal sony style CD and DVD ROMs? microsoft are just betting that their name alone will be enough to overthrow sony's stranglehold on all currently used media formats. Why do you think records disappeared so fast? Edison Corp owned the patent, similar story with every other non-Sony format that's ever come out. The last one that sony squashed was a phillips digital microcassette format, similar to DAT.

Now while i don't really support a huge monopoly like sony, at least they aren't cunts like microsoft. They publicly said they do not recognise that so called "copy protected CDs" are a valid format, meaning that those "CDs" are not even legally allowed to be referred to as CDs, and that's why you get a lot of people talking about "discs". I think sony, or their loyal public, will give short shrift to this plan lik they did many other upstarts.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Doctor V

« Reply #6 on: 21 October 2002, 13:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:

I never siad I was happy about it...then again I never said that I was unhappy about it either. It simply doesn't matter to me, because I use Windows so a propriarity CD format/filesystem that only works in Windows won't affect me at all.

So to make a long story short..my feelings about it are nuetral. ;P

Have you ever heard the word: Palladium?  Next you will only be able to play such CDs on you computer.  M$ will control wether you can burn them or not, how often you can play the music files, wether or not you can copy a CD track to an MP3 or not.  Taking that kind of control away from you and giving it to M$ is the whole point of Palladium, which is a future version of windows.  The only way you will be able to make a backup copy is if you pay an extra dollar for it, and it will only run on your computer, you can't use it anywhere else.  You will have to pay extra to copy them to mp3 form.  Maybe the CD will nly be playable for a limited time, maybe they won't be sold anymore, licenced instead.  Who knows, but M$ will have the technology to do this.  In fact, the same will go for your MP3s, they will be playable only if they are M$ approved.  And to get such approval, you'll have to pay the RIAA for them.  Reading your earlier posts, you seem to have a thing with the RIAA.  Yet if you support Microsoft like you do, you're also supporting the RIAA weather you like it or not.  So, what will you do, stick with M$ even after they push out their new DRM-OS?  I want to know this.

V