Author Topic: Down with XP!  (Read 1681 times)

Macman

• Kudos: 0
    • http://macrevolution.cjb.net
Down with XP!
« on: 28 March 2002, 13:50 »
WINDOWS XP MAY HAVE TO BE PULLED BACK  :D  (From Infotech)WASHINGTON: Microsoft contends that it will be forced to pull Windows XP off the market and be unable to develop new systems if anti-trust sanctions sought by state prosecutors are granted. In court documents released on Monday, Microsoft denied that the proposal was part of a "doomsday defence," but said the remedy sought by the states are a "calculated effort by Microsoft's competitors to inflict maximum commercial injury on the company, without regard to the well-being of the industry or consumers." The states that rejected last year's anti-trust settlement accepted by the US Justice Department are to begin their case next week in US District Court here. They are seeking tougher penalties, including a stripped-down version of Windows, which would eliminate Microsoft's advantage of incorporating various items of software, such as Internet browsers and media players, in the operating system. Microsoft said this remedy "would result in grievous harm not only to Microsoft, but also to the entire PC industry and to the tens of millions of consumers around the world that use Microsoft products." The company said the proposal "not only would prevent Microsoft from developing and releasing new versions of Windows, thus causing innovation in the leading PC platform to come to a halt, but would also cause the withdrawal from the market of Windows XP and Windows 2000". The states, in filing with the court, said they plan to present witnesses who will testify that Microsoft has been using its market power to force computer makers to favour its products over those of rivals. Among the witnesses will be Anthony Fama of Gateway, who will argue that a tougher penalty is needed "to prevent Microsoft from continuing to favour personal computer manufacturers who support Microsoft's products, to the disadvantage of personal computer manufacturers who do not". Microsoft said it "expects" to call its founder and chairman Bill Gates to the witness stand, although it may modify its witness list depending on the circumstances. If he appears, it would be Gates' first testimony in the case since a videotaped deposition played in court in 1998 that infuriated the judge because of his evasive answers.

As Nelson from the Simpsons would say, "HA HA!"
"The Macintosh may only have 10% of the market, but it is clearly the top 10%."

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Down with XP!
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2002, 14:00 »
quote:
The company said the proposal "not only would prevent Microsoft from developing and releasing new versions of Windows, thus causing innovation in the leading PC platform to come to a halt,

this is very good news indeed!
but i don't think they will really stop shipping windows. M$ are just bluffing to try and maneuvre people exactly where they want them, it would be nice though if they did stop making windows.
The funny thing about this post is that Microsoft have the nerve to claim that if new versions of windows stop being released, PC innovation will come to a halt!
<gobsmacked>
I reckon that if windows stops being sold, that will be the single most important boost to PC innovation since the term was coined in the late seventies/early eighties! i reckon it would be great. think of all the public spending that would immediately go towards Apple, Sun and other UNIX developers and distributers!

Onward the revolution i say....
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Macman

• http://macrevolution.cjb.net
Down with XP!
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2002, 04:06 »
right on
"The Macintosh may only have 10% of the market, but it is clearly the top 10%."

gnomez

Down with XP!
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2002, 04:55 »
They should take Windows Xp off the shelves simply due to the fact that it causes severe brain hemorrhages.  But their reasons are good, too.

"end of PC innovation" - indeed! horseshit, I say!  I hope no one believes their whiny lies.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Down with XP!
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2002, 07:55 »
Gnome, I can't help but notice your complete change of heart from the first message you posted here. All I can say is I am very proud of you!
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
Down with XP!
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2002, 08:13 »
It seems that they never learn. We've heard this before. Isn't that basically what Ballmer said when he threw that temper tantrum in court a couple of weeks ago? At that time, it seemed to be nothing more than an empty threat. Now, I'm not so sure. Macro$uck seems to have grown so arrogant lately that they may actually believe their own bullshit. They may really believe that pulling Win XP from the market will cause the sum total of computing to come to a screeching halt. Fine by me. This would give *NIX such a tremendous boost, that M$ would never recover once it began to dawn on them that the universe doesn't revolve around Redmond, and never did.

Dare we hope?(!)

Powered by Mandrake Linux and Freedom
Computers are like air conditioners: they can't do their jobs if you open windows
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Down with XP!
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2002, 08:43 »
HAHAHAH! While looking for stuff about M$'s crusade against open source and the GPL, look at this bucket 'o bull dropings I found on their very own site! If this doesn't smell like FUD what does. Look at the totaly cheep conspicuous use of BOLD and large text:

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/embedded/xp/evaluation/compare/notlinux.asp

This is why I say: DOWN WITH XP AND M$!!!!

WOW! I started finding more M$ Linux stuff  besides this embeded systems crap:

http://www.microsoft.com/sbserver/evaluation/compare/linux.asp

In each one they site the GPL as a fault in Linux.

Very interesting.

[ March 28, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Centurian

• http://www.darkmares.2ya.com
Down with XP!
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2002, 21:30 »
Hey,

quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:
HAHAHAH! While looking for stuff about M$'s crusade against open source and the GPL, look at this bucket 'o bull dropings I found on their very own site! If this doesn't smell like FUD what does. Look at the totaly cheep conspicuous use of BOLD and large text:

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/embedded/xp/evaluation/compare/notlinux.asp

This is why I say: DOWN WITH XP AND M$!!!!

WOW! I started finding more M$ Linux stuff  besides this embeded systems crap:

http://www.microsoft.com/sbserver/evaluation/compare/linux.asp

In each one they site the GPL as a fault in Linux.

Very interesting.

[ March 28, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Well after reading that I am going to get up at 5am and go wait outside walmart until it opens so I can run in a buy a bunch of copies of XP.

NOT!!!

HEHEH
Seriously this sounds like just more propaganda.
Do anything, say anything to stay on top. Apparently that is the way it works.
Later
Centurian

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
Down with XP!
« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2002, 10:55 »
quote:

I'll grant Macro$uck one point: embedded systems isn't one of Linux's stronger points. However, they are so obsessed with Linux that they could be setting themselves up for a real fall. The major strength of the QNX op-sys is embedded systems. QNX could easily fly in right under M$'s radar and blind-side them.

Wouldn't that be poetic justice?   :D