Author Topic: Should i download and instal beos ?  (Read 1264 times)

cybot55

• Kudos: 0
Should i download and instal beos ?
« on: 22 May 2002, 18:15 »
i liked the look of the screenshots and i noticed it does not deed partioning or any of that dangerous stuff and i was amazed that only takes 20 secounds to load....
also there is a huge regualy updated database of software suport and games....

is it worth it... :confused:
even though its offically dead ??
but openbeos is being worked on :)

:D
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 12:48 by Orethrius »

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2002, 18:54 »
i think you answered yr own question! as somebody pointed out here, BeOS is actually gathering a lot of interest since Be bit the dust! i think the idea of BeOS as an open source project rather than another MacOS is quite appealing. Maybe it will be more popular soon than it ever was when it was still "alive"...
The thing about BeOS is it puts a lot of effort into being stable and good, but no effort into being cheap or into developing the right thing at the right time. actually those problems are both corporate Be Inc problems.
i have never tried BeOS, but i've only heard good things about the actual OS.
if you do try it, please post here again and tell me what you think of it! i would actually like to have an old BeBox one day! anybody know if they still exist? also, would they run R5 of BeOS? I just want a machine with 2 CPUs, but more importantly, that has 'das blinkenlights' on the front...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

cybot55

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2002, 19:11 »
thanks i think ill try it on my "other" computer first .....
i own win xp....on my new cpu..
and its drinking resourses ..beos sounds perfect ...

go on the net in 20 sec ..
also beos looks like a nice clean os with a beter look than any other os i looked at...

some comments from people who tryed it  would be great...

fuckmicrosoft.com should offer a link to it...
  ;)    :D    :cool: :) :p
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 12:48 by Orethrius »

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2002, 20:29 »
well there used to be a link to it on the front page, in amongst the list of alternatives to windows, but the webmaster took it off when Be Inc went under. not sure if this was such a good idea, because R5 is free to download still, so people should get the link to it, the operating system is still up and running even if there is no company behind it, hell, there's no company behind linux!!

Anyway, have a look, OpenBeOS is still in the list, i think, although they are in the process of changing their name due to legal reasons, so maybe it's not OpenBeOS anymore (i think OBOS is fine for a new name) but i'm rambling. Has anybody tried BeOS here? if so what?...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism