Author Topic: [BeOS] write ISO file to hdd! (all right 'experts' this one is for you...  (Read 1884 times)

MrX

• Kudos: 0
http://www.computing.net/hardware/wwwboard/forum/32145.html

and 'experts' means that i am having that word in Dr Evil type quotes, which is implying that if you can give a reasonable answer, the quotes will be hearby removed from the venerable full star rating Mr X.

[ January 18, 2005: Message edited by: Tux ]

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
quote:
Originally posted by MrX:
http://www.computing.net/hardware/wwwboard/forum/32145.html

and 'experts' means that i am having that word in Dr Evil type quotes, which is implying that if you can give a reasonable answer, the quotes will be hearby removed from the venerable full star rating Mr X.

Right...

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
cat myfile.iso > /dev/hdb

Or, do you mean emulating that an iso is a CD, and not actually waste a hard drive as a cd? In which case, remove /dev/cdrom, copy the iso to /dev/cdrom, and then mount the iso. Applications usually look at /dev/cdrom as one of the common places for a cdrom (which is usually a symlink to /dev/hdc, or some other drive).

When finished, move /dev/cdrom to the original file, and make /dev/cdrom go to the cdrom drive again (ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom)

[ January 18, 2005: Message edited by: Stryker ]

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Sorry, I thought this was a BeOS question!

Can the relevant moderator move this to GNU/Linux please?
Contains scenes of mild peril.

KernelPanic

• VIP
And to view the contents of an iso file on Linux, the easiest way I find is:

mount -o loop /path/to/stuff.iso /mnt/cdrom

MrX

• Kudos: 0
thaose are some good ideas. but the reply posted by Stryker is not making sence to me. any recommended reading?

KernelPanic

• VIP

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
When did this go from linux to beos? Eh...

linux:

i dont understand what u are trying to do. Do you want an application to think the iso is a cdrom drive? If so, you can do this as root:

rm -f /dev/cdrom
mv /home/me/myfile.iso /dev/cdrom
mount -o loop /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

and to undo it:

umount /mnt/cdrom
mv /dev/cdrom /home/me/myfile.iso
ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom

This way, applications get the actual cd, not just the files inside it (some verify data in other areas, like some windows games do for verification).

Is this what you meant?

[ January 18, 2005: Message edited by: Stryker ]

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
Just out of curiosity, why is it easier to use a hard drive than just a regular cd?

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
quote:
Originally posted by M51DPS:
Just out of curiosity, why is it easier to use a hard drive than just a regular cd?

Because you don't have to search for disks all the time and it's faster from the hard disk.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
ok, either i am stupid or there are two things that are still not clear here:

1) is this for BeOS, Linux or something else? the question says BeOS in it, and all the answers seem to be for *IX systems, is BeOS one of them? i thought not. Please clarify.

2) What are you actually trying to do, Mr X? the URL you quote doesn't appear to work, and the phrase "write ISO file to hdd" does not, in my opinion, describe the action required sufficiently to provide an answer. It's not even a properly formed question, or in fact a sentence of any kind.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
quote:
Originally posted by Calum is NOT a moderator:
ok, either i am stupid or there are two things that are still not clear here:

1) is this for BeOS, Linux or something else? the question says BeOS in it, and all the answers seem to be for *IX systems, is BeOS one of them? i thought not. Please clarify.

2) What are you actually trying to do, Mr X? the URL you quote doesn't appear to work, and the phrase "write ISO file to hdd" does not, in my opinion, describe the action required sufficiently to provide an answer. It's not even a properly formed question, or in fact a sentence of any kind.

Well put.  I'd be careful with item 2, though, lest ye invoke the return and subsequent wrath of Solaris.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals