Author Topic: BeOS Max 3.0 released.  (Read 4483 times)

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
BeOS Max 3.0 released.
« on: 25 September 2003, 02:55 »
http://www.beosmax.org/main.php

Yay! Now at last I can reinstall BeOS on my computer! I wanted to reinstall BeOS, but was waiting for the latest version of BeOS Max, and didn't want to burn a CD for both 2.1 and 3.0.

[ September 24, 2003: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
BeOS Max 3.0 released.
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2003, 04:04 »
How does this work exactly?  Is it the real BeOS?  I thought the source was proprietary, closed, and owned by Palm.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
BeOS Max 3.0 released.
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2003, 21:07 »
I dunno, and don't care... THIS ROCKS
Go the fuck ~

Laukev7

• VIP
BeOS Max 3.0 released.
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2003, 17:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by M. O'Brien:
How does this work exactly?  Is it the real BeOS?  I thought the source was proprietary, closed, and owned by Palm.

It is. But BeOS Personal Edition, albeit closed, is free to distribute. BeOS Max 3.0 is basically a BeOS PE with a slightly different theme and bundled with apps. Also, they added patches to make it compatible with newer hardware (AMD processors, Geforce 4, Audigy).

There are, though, a few open source BeOS clones in development that try to achieve binary compatibility, such as OpenBeOS or Blue Eyed OS. The developpers of BeOS Max are making a distribution, dubbed "Walter" (Does anyone else see a coincidence?), which will use OpenBeOS. Yellow Tab is also developping their own commercial BeOS, which they licensed from Palm, IIRC.

[ September 25, 2003: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
BeOS Max 3.0 released.
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2003, 00:12 »
So what is BeOS anyways ?  And is it any good ?

Please remember guys that I'm not paranoid on aim so if you would like to message me on AIM your welcome to do so.
All your base are belong to us.

Laukev7

• VIP
BeOS Max 3.0 released.
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2003, 00:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by mushrooomprince:
So what is BeOS anyways ?  And is it any good ?

Please remember guys that I'm not paranoid on aim so if you would like to message me on AIM your welcome to do so.

BeOS is an excellent desktop system, WAY better than Windoze or any Linux distro (but not quite Mac OS X). It is stable, and has a similar structure, but not quite like UNIX. It was developped in the mid 90's, designed to be a multimedia OS. There are both an x86 and PPC version; many people argue that this caused the downfall of Be.

[ September 25, 2003: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

billy_gates

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
BeOS Max 3.0 released.
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2003, 10:05 »
there are some things better in BeOS than OSX.  First, its fucking fast.  Second it has a 64bit File System.  And the FS supports massively good meta data.  And the tracker reads the meta data in the correct order.  The FS is also journaled (so is OSX) and is indexed live (osx's has to be manually indexed)

The only thing better about BeOS compared to OSX is the FS.  Apple should serioulsy use BeFS for OSX, it would be wonderful.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
BeOS Max 3.0 released.
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2003, 16:31 »
Has anyone here installed it? I'd like to install BeOS MAX too, but what about tripple booting, partitions, and stuff? Can anyone here provide me with some information on how to install BeOS MAX?

Laukev7

• VIP
BeOS Max 3.0 released.
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2003, 17:57 »
I have installed it. The installation is pretty straightforward, like BeOS PE. It gives you a choice to install a boot menu which will detect all your partitions, and will even boot Windows NT with no problem. All you need to do is burn the CD (there are instructions for Windows, BeOS and Linux), and boot with it. Then, select a partition, and you're done. The hardware is detected automatically and usually well supported; any further configuration (screen resolution, internet connexion, etc) is done after the installation, and can be changed very easily, unlike most Linux distros.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
BeOS Max 3.0 released.
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2003, 19:08 »
quote:
Laukev7: Then, select a partition, and you're done.

You mean that I can install BeOS on a FAT32 or EXT3 partition, or can I add another one from the installation?

Laukev7

• VIP
BeOS Max 3.0 released.
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2003, 22:04 »
You can either add another partition or overwrite an existing one. It uses BeFS, though it can read ext3, Fat32, NTFS partitions or ufs/ffs, if you have FreeBSD. Not reiserfs, though.

Edit: Reiserfs support has been added in BeOS Max 3.0.

[ September 27, 2003: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
BeOS Max 3.0 released.
« Reply #11 on: 28 September 2003, 07:57 »
Lets all just calm down and sit on a boner.
All your base are belong to us.

Doogee

• VIP
  • Kudos: 109
    • http://m-db.info
BeOS Max 3.0 released.
« Reply #12 on: 29 February 2004, 17:42 »
Will BeOS MAX support SB Live 5.1? With the sub utilised in normal music playing?

if (answer == 'yes')
{
       download_beos();
}

Doogee

• VIP
  • Kudos: 109
    • http://m-db.info
BeOS Max 3.0 released.
« Reply #13 on: 29 February 2004, 17:44 »
Also does it support lame SiS "Hardware" like a sis 900 onboard lan thing?

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
BeOS Max 3.0 released.
« Reply #14 on: 29 February 2004, 19:01 »
I've tried it @ school on a computer with a VIA motherboard, AMD Athlon XP and GeForce 2.

The sound didn't work, but I was able to play Doom on it and stuff. It was very fast.

You should try it, BeOS Max is very easy to configure and install.