Author Topic: ReactOS ....  (Read 4764 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
ReactOS ....
« Reply #15 on: 25 July 2004, 00:12 »
quote:
Wine translates Windows API calls to Linux and X11.

I did think that too, but I said "API layer" because I thaught I might have been wrong.

I suppose Wine is both an interpretor and an emulator, how confusing?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
ReactOS ....
« Reply #16 on: 25 July 2004, 01:56 »
no... its name is true. it is not an emulator. it's a true Windows API on *nix.
Go the fuck ~

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
ReactOS ....
« Reply #17 on: 25 July 2004, 02:01 »
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

insomnia

• Kudos: 0
ReactOS ....
« Reply #18 on: 25 July 2004, 07:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Aloone:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=emulator

That link was horrible and gave me lots of spam.
Wine is NOT A FUCKING EMULATOR.
W I N E
=> Wine Is Not an Emulator.

Does your small brain fails to understand this?

[ July 24, 2004: Message edited by: insomnia ]

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
ReactOS ....
« Reply #19 on: 25 July 2004, 15:04 »
Wrong again, Wine is an emulator.

Dictionary definition for the word emulator:

1. To strive to equal or excel, especially through imitation: an older pupil whose accomplishments and style I emulated.

2. To compete with successfully; approach or attain equality with.

3. Computer Science. To imitate the function of (another system), as by modifications to hardware or software that allow the imitating system to accept the same data, execute the same programs, and achieve the same results as the imitated system.

insomnia, does your small brain fail to understand this?

[ July 25, 2004: Message edited by: Aloone ]

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
ReactOS ....
« Reply #20 on: 25 July 2004, 15:14 »
A Windows emulator would use its own kernel inside a virtual machine. Wine does not. It uses the kernel of the host OS. It is equal to the Linux or X11 API. In theory, you could run Wine on Windows. You emulate hardware. You implement APIs.

A Windows emulator would not interact with other Linux apps, and instead would run in its own Window... the way VMware or Virtual PC do.

Wine is a Win32 API layer for *nix. VMware is an emulator.

Stop being a dipshit and listen to what people say. Learn things or die.

[ July 25, 2004: Message edited by: JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder ]

Go the fuck ~

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
ReactOS ....
« Reply #21 on: 25 July 2004, 16:05 »
quote:

Wine is a Win32 API layer for *nix. VMware is an emulator.

I already know that, read my last posts, moron.

Wine and VMware are both emulators.

Now lets look at the dictionary definition of the word emulator:

Computer Science. To imitate the function of (another system), as by modifications to hardware or software that allow the imitating system to accept the same data, execute the same programs, and achieve the same results as the imitated system.

Now lets apply it to Wine:

quote:

To imitate the function of (another system)

In this case with Wine, Linux is imitating Windows.

quote:

as by modifications to hardware or software

Wine is run on top of Linux and thus is a modification to the software.

quote:

that allow the imitating system to accept the same data, execute the same programs

With Wine, Linux can execute the same programs as Windows, thus alowing it to acept the same data (you can run Corel Draw and open files created for use under Windows).

quote:

and achieve the same results as the imitated system.

A program run under Wine will achieve the same results under Wine as it will under Windows.

Wine is an emulator, it allows one system (Linux) to perform the same operation as a different system (Windows).

The mechanism behind an emulator is insignificant when looking at the definition of an emulator, an emulator is a fucking emulator, and Wine is by it's definition, is a fucking emulator!

It makes no fucking differance whether it's a virtual machine, an API layer, or a chip added to the motherboard of a system, an emulator is still an emulator.

If you don't understand this, read this post over and over again and then one day it might sink in through you thick skull, that WINE IS AN EMULATOR!

[ July 25, 2004: Message edited by: Aloone ]

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
ReactOS ....
« Reply #22 on: 25 July 2004, 16:37 »
I don't know why I just don't say it... I guess I've tried to be too nice...

SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Nobody gives a damn that you know how to look up a word in the dictionary. Do you want a cookie? You're missing the entire point... and to boot, you're being a complete ass.

So, to date, this is what you've done. You started off by coming and dissing Linux in your first post. You annoyed everybody with your childish "Linsux" and "Winbloze" bullshit. Now you're being an ass and snapping at people because they don't agree with your goddamn dictionary?

Fuck off.
Go the fuck ~

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
ReactOS ....
« Reply #23 on: 25 July 2004, 16:40 »
I guess that running Linux on a Mac would be "emulation". You've modified a system (you removed Mac OS from the picture) and you're running an OS that was "made for" x86 PCs.

Hey, by your definition, you're "emulating".

To paraphrase you...

It makes no difference whether you're stupid, retarded, or just trying to be an asshole. A dipshit is still a dipshit.
Go the fuck ~

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
ReactOS ....
« Reply #24 on: 25 July 2004, 17:56 »
I was not the first person in this tread to start insulting people.

I have not said either "Linsux" or "Winbloze" in this thread.

I was wrong to use them in the first place, I admit it they are imature and I have not used them for ages.

You only brought them up to be insulting and they are completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Have I dissed Linux in this thread?

NO!

The fact that I have in previous threads is also totally irrevevant.

Dissing something that dosn't work for you does not make you an arse-hole. I admit it, I should have learned a lot more about Linux before I dissed it. To make mends I have not dissed Linux for a while now and I am learning about it. Just because I made a mistake it doesn't make me an arse-hole.

The only reason why you're last 2 posts have been so irrelevant, insulting, and childish, is because it has suddenly occurred to you that you're wrong.

Try admitting it for a change, know one will hate you for it.

Nice one Jimmy, thanks for fucking yet another good thread up!

Now you may use this thead to bitch about me all you want

I don't care!

I won't respond unless you or someone else posts something decent.

Think about it, Jimmey you are so cool because you can have the last word if you want it!

insomnia

ReactOS ....
« Reply #25 on: 25 July 2004, 20:55 »
So you're actually accusing Wine for stealing MS code!?  

Do you have any proof of this or are just trying to annoy people like in every other post you made.

You allways come up with the most absurt lies possible.

Ps. Wine doesn't emulate anything.

[ July 25, 2004: Message edited by: insomnia ]

Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
ReactOS ....
« Reply #26 on: 26 July 2004, 01:08 »
quote:

I guess that running Linux on a Mac would be "emulation". You've modified a system (you removed Mac OS from the picture) and you're running an OS that was "made for" x86 PCs.

No, you would no longer be running an OS made for the PC, because by the very act of recompiling the OS you are remaking it for a Mac, an emulator can run a program that was made for use on another system (be it a different Micro, or under a different OS on the same micro) with out modification to the code or data.

quote:

So you're actually accusing Wine for stealing MS code!?

NO!
When did I say that?

quote:

Do you have any proof of this or are just trying to annoy people like in every other post you made.

Ask the people at:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=emulator to change their definition then:

3. Computer Science. To imitate the function of (another system), as by modifications to hardware or software that allow the imitating system to accept the same data, execute the same programs, and achieve the same results as the imitated system.

I know how Wine works.

An emulator dosn't have to emulate differant hardware it can just emulate a differant operating system.

Thus Wine Is Not a hardware Emulator.

Wine is a compatibility layer or an operating system API emulator.

It allows a Linux or UNIX system to execute a program that was compiled for Windows.

Wine loads the program into memory and the CPU is left to execute it as it normally would. Wine interprets the calls that the program normally makes to Windows and then either executes the equivalent UNIX call or if this dosn't exist, calls a routine in one of it's librarys. Some of these can be DLLs either written by the WINE developers or if you have Windows on your hard disk they can be native to Windows.

Jimmy & insomnia, I don't hate you    , if I did I wouldn't reply to any of your posts.

I think that we are just arguing about words and interpretation.

You say Wine is not a hardware emulator, I agree I never said it was a hardware emulator.

I am just arguing that Wine alows Linux to run the same programs as Windows by emulation of the Windows API. The same way that DOSEMU is a DOS emulator for UNIX/Linux.

insomnia

ReactOS ....
« Reply #27 on: 26 July 2004, 01:49 »
quote:
I am just arguing that Wine alows Linux to run the same programs as Windows by emulation of the Windows API. The same way that DOSEMU is a DOS emulator for UNIX/Linux.

Oh boy   :rolleyes:  
No that's not how it works.
That woudn't even be legal since you'd need MS code.

Wine is only compatible with it.
Wine doesn't use any MS code.

Emulators are slow, Wine isn't.
It doesn't emulate anything, it's a complete different system(like reactOS) that aims to be compatible with Windows programs.
Their isn't any form of emulating involved.

It's name (Wine is  Not an Amulator) is NOT a joke!
That's just how it works.

What will be your next annoying claim.
Claiming GNU is UNIX?

Ps: Please stop pretending as if you understand API structures, you don't.
Also, find yourself a better dictionary...

[ July 25, 2004: Message edited by: insomnia ]

Voltaire

R. Stallman

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
ReactOS ....
« Reply #28 on: 26 July 2004, 02:06 »
or perhaps that BSD "emulates" UNIX because you can run some SysV binaries.
Go the fuck ~

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
ReactOS ....
« Reply #29 on: 26 July 2004, 02:08 »
Oh, and Aloone...
Go the fuck ~