Author Topic: ReactOS ....  (Read 4760 times)

bjx0

• Kudos: 0
ReactOS ....
« on: 22 July 2004, 23:20 »
Hi. I'm new to the forum and I HATE Microsoft but unfortunently most of my stuff only runs on Windows. But then I found ReactOS (See ReactOS.com). It's an exact copy of Windows NT but open source and still runs NT programs. I want another one like it. Is there anything like it?

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
ReactOS ....
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2004, 23:36 »

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
ReactOS ....
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2004, 23:38 »
Wrong Forum
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
ReactOS ....
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2004, 23:40 »
ReactOS is far form finished, and I far as I know there is nothing else like it.

Your best bet is to read up on Linux a bit before you install it, and check out the  Linux hardware compatibility list to ensure that the distrobution you choose will run on your computer.

Linux has native equivalents of most Windows programmes and they are normally better, and a lot cheaper too, as they are often free. If you really need to keep your Windows programs you can always run them under Wine a Windows emulator.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
ReactOS ....
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2004, 23:42 »
Oh and FREE DOS is hardly an alternative to Windows as it can't run any Windows software.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
ReactOS ....
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2004, 23:57 »
Stop postcount++

bjx0

ReactOS ....
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2004, 00:00 »
Free DOS is DOS not... Not what I was looking for. I already know about Linux. I want something like ReactOS

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
ReactOS ....
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2004, 00:13 »
George:
I have never heard of anything else like ReactOS. I am sorry, but you're SOL I'm afraid.

Why do you hate MS?

Do you hate Windows too?

I hate MS, but I don't hate Windows!

insomnia

ReactOS ....
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2004, 18:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by Aloone:
George:
I have never heard of anything else like ReactOS.

Lindows.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
ReactOS ....
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2004, 23:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by insomnia:
Lindows.

That wasn't exactly his point, either.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
ReactOS ....
« Reply #10 on: 24 July 2004, 02:05 »
Lindows is nothing like ReactOS. ReactOS is an OSS implementation of NT.

Dave Cutler even said it was damn good.
Go the fuck ~

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
ReactOS ....
« Reply #11 on: 24 July 2004, 04:25 »
When did David Cutler say that!

I'm also curious about ReactOS, as you know I've had problems with Linux, although I'm still interested. If/when ReatOS becomes more mature and supports most of the NT drivers, I will consider using it.

I will hope that there will be better desktops available than the Windows one. I don't want a free + better Windows clone, I want something a bit different, that's hopefully easier to use.

A cheeper Windows clone that just so happens to have a Linux kernel isn't my idea of a good OS.

If wanted a free Windows clone with a Linux kernel then I could just pirate Lindows. There again I could take any Linux distro, add Wine (if it isn't included), then slap-on XPde.

Anyway isn't Lindows only semi open source?

How did MS take a good OS, then fuck it up so horribley?

I've heard that VMS was almost as good as UNIX, if not even better in some ways.

Thank goodness they didn't get their sticky fingers on UNIX.

Hang on a second if they did, then Linux would have knocked them out!

But if they'd fucked up UNIX, and bastardised the standards, Linux may have only been as good as ReactOS.

Who knows!

insomnia

ReactOS ....
« Reply #12 on: 24 July 2004, 07:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder:
Lindows is nothing like ReactOS. ReactOS is an OSS implementation of NT.

Wrong.
ReactOS is like Wine (remember, Wine Is Not an Emulator).
Lindows also uses a Wine Layer.

(IMO they both suck.)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
ReactOS ....
« Reply #13 on: 24 July 2004, 22:29 »
ReactOS is not an NT clone, in the way that Linux is an open source UNIX. ReactOS is an attempt to make an open source NT compatalbe operating system.

The kernel is unique, the plan is for it to use NT drivers and not Linux, thus it can't use Linux kernel.

The ReactOS development team have ported some Wine code, as it would be stupid for them to write it from scratch.

quote:
Wine Is Not an Emulator

Wrong, Wine is indeed an emulator!

I know where you got this idea from but the source is incorrect: http://www.winehq.com/site/myths#slow

This is wrong, IMO the use of the word emulator is very confusing. Wine does emulate Windows, by imitation and if you don't believe me look up the word emulation: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=emulation

This is done in a completely different manor to processor emulation, but even so, it is still emulation.

When a PC uses a software emulator to imitate a RISC PC, the program acts as an interpretor, by converting each RISC instruction in the program to it's PC equivalent, instruction by instruction. Processor emulation is shit slow, the same way that a basic interpretor or a python virtual machine is slower than C.

Wine isn't slow because it isn't an interpretor, it's just an API layer. Wine emulates Windows by the the use of a Windows API layer that then is bolted on to any x86 UNIX, which may be run on a different micro under a PC emulator.

I have seen many Windows programs running faster under Wine then they do under Windows, this is because Wine + Linux > effiecent than Windows.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
ReactOS ....
« Reply #14 on: 24 July 2004, 23:48 »
quote:
Wrong.
ReactOS is like Wine (remember, Wine Is Not an Emulator).
Lindows also uses a Wine Layer.

No... you're wrong.

Wine translates Windows API calls to Linux and X11. ReactOS IS AN NT COMPATIBLE OPERATING SYSTEM. It doesn't run Linux and do any kind of translation. They've shared code with Wine, but that's it.

Your facts you must get straight. Speak not when your information is false! Mmmmmhmmmhmmm!
Go the fuck ~