Author Topic: BeOS?  (Read 1065 times)

davebrock

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.lowendmac.com
BeOS?
« on: 16 May 2002, 03:11 »
just out of interest, are there any BeOS fans out there, other than me?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
BeOS?
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2002, 14:33 »
nope!   :D  

actually, i have a CD from 1997 which claims to be a BeOS preview, i tried to install it on one of my partitions but it is not bootable?!?!? never mind, in a year or two, when i have another machine with a bigger hard drive, i'll multiboot with OpenBeOS, except that it won't be called that then, obviously due to legal wrangles over the word "BeOS". (i think they should just call it OBOS and have done with it...)

ps why's this in the unix section?

[ May 16, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 12:53 by Orethrius »
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

creedon

• Kudos: 0
BeOS?
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2002, 20:09 »
It's interesting; there seems to be a LOT of interest in BeOS, now that it's effectivly dead.  I d/l'ed the 5.0 "personal Edition" (the one that runs on top of WIN).  VERY nice, VERY fast.
BTW; if you install the personal edition, then create a partition for BeOS, by using the auto-install feature of BeOS, you can re-install BeOS to its own partition and then delete it from WIN, then use a boot floppy to start your new install and configure Bootman to act as a default boot manager for all your operating systems.
The personal edition even has a CD-burner utility as a default; if your burner is one of the ones that's on the list of equipment that BeOS recognizes, it'll configure automatically, and you can start burning immediately. >COOL<
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 12:47 by Orethrius »
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??