Author Topic: Re: OS/2 Warp  (Read 2180 times)

pkd_lives

• Kudos: 0
Re: OS/2 Warp
« Reply #15 on: 26 September 2002, 02:01 »
Well not so much of a shame, I mean it had some major downsides, it was a prime example of a clunky OS. But it is certainly not worth $284. And I am not desperate enough to actually buy this, after all I only want to put it on an old Laptop and use it as a net connection (I want to play games with Verizon).

However as there is plenty of OS material out there I see no real need of it. Still I worked with it for a while, and there was some nice stable parts of the system (in fact stability was a problem for it, it would not always stop when you really needed it to), so my only interests are academic and nostalgia.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #16 on: 26 September 2002, 04:57 »
nonetheless i would still love to put it on my computer if i had it for free.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #17 on: 26 September 2002, 05:59 »
I have several Red and Blue boxed sets of Warp 3 and I also have Warp 4. I have no desire ever to install them ever again. I had about 50 Warp machines that I had to support for around 4 years a couple of years back. Believe me, you are *MUCH* better off with the Linux path you are on.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #18 on: 28 September 2002, 14:11 »
1mck,

your dream OS exists...

Mac OS X

as for OS/2, it was my first venture into computing without Microsoft. It was back when I was running a 486/33 and I put Win95 on it... my God what a slow ass bastard that was. It's faster to run XP Pro inside Virtual PC 5 on a G3.

So, I got a copy of OS/2 2.0 from the neighbor's dad, who was a sysadmin for Axiom in central Arkansas. I liked it, but now that I look back on it... it was a junky thing. Sure, it was stable, and I liked the UI, but, Christ... it was really just 32-bit Windows 3.1 on top of 32-bit DOS.

Then I upgraded my hardware to a cutting edge VLB board with an S3 Vision964 based card with 4 whole MB of video RAM. I stepped up in the world to 24MB of RAM, and I got a massive 650MB hard drive. Wow.

OS/2 took a shit on my HD... the installer would get as far as loading the graphics layer... the presentation manager, whatever you wanna call it... and DUBLOOO! it was dead.

So... I broke out the 95 CD. And I was pleased with the performance and stability... it wasn't that different from OS/2... and so I foolishly stayed with Windows. All the money I spend upgrading and chasing OS versions could have gotten me a Power Mac 8600 back when they were the shit.

It wasn't until summer of '01 that I was able to escape the shackles of MS and got me an iMac. I bought OS X 10.1 and I haven't looked back.

My name is The Jimmy James... and no, that wasn't just a really long Switch ad. lol

[ September 28, 2002: Message edited by: The Jimmy James ]
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 13:42 by Orethrius »
Go the fuck ~