Author Topic: Re: OS/2 Warp  (Read 2181 times)

1mck

• Kudos: 0
Re: OS/2 Warp
« on: 25 August 2002, 21:55 »
Newbie here questions regarding OS/2 Warp:
Does it actually run all of my (soon to be gotten rid of) Windoze 98 SE programs like Office 2000, or anything else that I may have? This is the first time that I've even heard about it, other than Bill used to work for them, so if anyone actually uses it, can you tell me what it's like, and what does it look like? I can't seem to find any up-to-date pics of it.

Thanks if advance.
1mck

Soon to be Windows free:)

smokey

« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2002, 10:05 »
Quote from: 1mck
Newbie here questions regarding OS/2 Warp:
Does it actually run all of my (soon to be gotten rid of) Windoze 98 SE programs like Office 2000, or anything else that I may have? This is the first time that I've even heard about it, other than Bill used to work for them, so if anyone actually uses it, can you tell me what it's like, and what does it look like? I can't seem to find any up-to-date pics of it.

Thanks if advance.
1mck

Soon to be Windows free :)

OS/2 Warp's windows emulation only goes as far as windows 3.1 unfortunately. You could always get something like vmware and run that on top of OS/2. The operating system is pretty good but you will want all the fixpacks. Unfortunately IBM still sells this so I can't have a good play around with it.
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 13:36 by Orethrius »
//this is how I was born :)

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/mybrain

Tip for win98 (l)users: type copy /con/con in your command prompt to increase stability

1mck

« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2002, 10:52 »
Thanks for the response! is "VMWARE" like "WINE?" Is the vmware much better at allowing me to use my Windoze programs than the wine thingy?

1mck

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2002, 11:14 »
Yes, most definitely. I've been running it for a couple of years and it can run nearly everything. Now you may have a little trouble with some directX apps.  The reason it works so well is because it is *not* a Windows emulator.  It's a virtual computer that requires you to install a real copy of Windows. You can try it out for 30 days for free. I highly recommend it if you have a very fast macine with lots of RAM (I run 512MB).

In fact I find Windows seems to run much more stable under VMware rather than standalone.

[ August 25, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 13:37 by Orethrius »
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2002, 11:56 »
Well personally, as much as i like vmware...
FUCK IT... Get "bochs" http://bochs.sourceforge.net

1mck

« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2002, 12:28 »
Wow! Christ, the shit that is out there! I don't know what to choose because there is so much! I've been mulling around the idea of migrating over to Lycoris, or Lindows, and I just don't know anymore what to get. I am currently running Windoze 98 SE, and it sucks shit for stability, and I can't rely on the damn thing for anything! I'm constantly backing up everything because it might crash. I've had this happen to me over 6 times now, and I've only had my computer for about 2 years. I've also had it with the sneaky way that Microsoft tried to make me buy their Operating System...AGAIN!!!! You guys probably already know that if you bought a new computer proprietary...(Compaq here...never, ever again!) what was included with the computer was only the upgrade disk. 3 days of my life trying to get the OS installed! Anyway, I creatively aquired the OS, but I couldn't believe that I was expected to buy the OS again! Anyways, I want an OS that is point and click, and very, very easy to use, and install, and also have compatability for the software that I already have. I will not go to Mac, so that is why I've been surfing around asking you guys "The Experts" on what would be the best choice(s) for me.
Anywho, thanks for all of your input, and suggestions. I really do appreciate it.

1mck

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2002, 17:04 »
Well, I heard some very scary s**t about Lindows OS...

If your a newbie to Linux, you might try Lycoris Desktop/LX or Mandrake OS.

1mck

« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2002, 01:03 »
What have you heard about Lindows? The only thing that I've heard was that it will log a person by default as "root" onto the internet, whatever that means. I also know that his claim that all the core Microsoft products will be able to be used has been quietly withdrawn due to problems with the company that was making that particular software...WINE I think. $99 bucks for Lindows...I don't know, and only $30 bucks for Lycoris, but Lindows installs much, much easier, and that is where Lycoris should concentrate instead of making their customers purchase 3rd party software to partition their hard drives. I am a Newbie, and although I've gotten very good at reformating my hard drive, there is still a bunch of stuff when I am in the Dos mode screen to do the actual reformat that I am totally bewildered about. Anyway, any other info would be greatly appreciated.

1mck

smokey

« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2002, 18:45 »
yay im happy!  :D  I am getting OS/2 Warp 4 and I am going to have a test machine with a 3D accelerator and I am going to try out this program called Odin which can run win32 apps on OS/2 - even games.

The address for odin is http://odin.netlabs.org
//this is how I was born :)

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/mybrain

Tip for win98 (l)users: type copy /con/con in your command prompt to increase stability

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: 26 August 2002, 21:32 »
Good luck with your Warp and get ready for plenty of STOP errors. But if you need any help let me know. I believe I still have some memory of it. I also supported Warp 3 & 4 for about 5 years, altough I don't currently have an OS/2 system up and running I could install a copy in VMware in short notice. I used to do a lot of REXX and VX-REXX programming on it.

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 13:38 by Orethrius »

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2002, 00:55 »
Quote from: 1mck
What have you heard about Lindows? The only thing that I've heard was that it will log a person by default as "root" onto the internet, whatever that means. I also know that his claim that all the core Microsoft products will be able to be used has been quietly withdrawn due to problems with the company that was making that particular software...WINE I think. $99 bucks for Lindows...I don't know, and only $30 bucks for Lycoris, but Lindows installs much, much easier, and that is where Lycoris should concentrate instead of making their customers purchase 3rd party software to partition their hard drives. I am a Newbie, and although I've gotten very good at reformating my hard drive, there is still a bunch of stuff when I am in the Dos mode screen to do the actual reformat that I am totally bewildered about. Anyway, any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Well... you know you can make user accounts with Windows. Making users accounts in Windows has no specific purpose, except wasting space on your hard-drive.
In Linux, making users has a very good and even required funtion.
If you log-in on an user account in Linux, your computer will be secured from virus or cracker attacks. If you do not log-in, your in your "root" account. Root is only used by people who know what their doing with Linux, and rarely go on the internet with it because the security is off.
Now, Lindows OS is standard in root, so your open to virus or cracker attacks just like in Windows.

And for the reformatting... I'd say you'd try Partition Magic. It's much easiyer and better than FDISK in MS-DOS...
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 13:40 by Orethrius »

1mck

« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2002, 04:48 »
I guess OS/2 Warp is out then.
It is so great that I finally get straight answers to my questions.
I think that I used Partition Magic one time a very, very long time ago. A friend of mine used it on my computer to put my "swap file???" on there to speed up my computer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but will it change all my drive letters like if I have my CDRW set at d: it will be something else?
Is Lindows aware of this problem, and do you think that they might fix it in their first general release of their OS?
I just want an operating system that will take care of the hard to learn stuff like Partitioning for me.
For crying out loud, this is the year 2002, and I'm still waiting for an OS that will take care of technical stuff for me, and for the most part, that has sort of been taken care of, but there is still this partitioning, and then all the complex tasks that are required for installation. I want it to be....You put the CD in the tray, close the tray, and it loads, and installs, and then you are ready to go. Plain and simple. Even Microsoft hasn't made a product that can do that. Most people still don't have a clue on what is going on with their computers, or even how to install anything. Windoze 98 SE is frigging nightmare to re-install if you know absolutely nothing about computers. The computer is tool, and I should not have to conform to it, rather it should conform to me. I really think that the Linux world has a wonderful opportunity to actually make this a reality, and without all the frigging hassles that Microsoft has encumbered people with. Eventually, I will get used to a new OS, and learn all the ins and outs, but for someone just starting out you have to make it easy for them, and then when they are curious, and want to learn more, then it is freely available for them to do so. I don't think that I'm asking too much, or am I? This is why I am scouring the internet, and asking questions to all the experts, like you good people, and trying to find something that is #1: Stable, #2: Very Easy To Use, And Easy To Install #3: Doesn't Cost A Lot Of Money, #4: Compatible With The Software That I Have Now, #5: Compatible With My Computer's Hardware, #6: Non-invasive...IE: I bought it, so It's mine...I'm not renting it, and it's none of your business what I have on my computer! I'd be still writing stuff for the OS that I want, but I've decided to stop here. Is there anything that is out there that can fulfil my needs? Thus far, I've been getting positive feedback about Lycoris Desktop/LX, and of course Lindows (Other than the Root thingy.) With Lycoris, I have to partition my Hard drive, and apparently Lindows does all that for me. I desperately want to get rid of my Windoze stuff because of all the crap that I've had to go through with it to just do simple things... oohhhh, like just starting it up! It will hang about 40% of the time, and not load up. I do not like the sneaky tactics that Microsoft employs in order to get me to buy their products, and I also don't like the fact that they've deliberately made their products to ignore my instructions, like my Intellimouse Optical which will continually ignore my requests to not have it contact the internet for updates; I've had to go back to the original driver for the mouse in order to achieve this, and it is very unstable. I don't really like Apple, and of course Bill owns about half of that company anyway.
I hope that you don't think that I'm just rambling, but I am really serious about this. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Sincerely,
1mck

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #12 on: 27 August 2002, 07:16 »
Partitioning is really not hard or all that technical and if you install Linux as the only OS on your computer, most distros will do all of the partitioning with no input from you.

As far as Linux swap partitions or any other
Linux partitions it should not effect your drive letters in Windows. Windows only assigns drive letters to partitions it recognizes containing a file system it recognizes (FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS). And Linux doesn't use drive letters so manipulating partitions isn't a problem in it.

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 13:40 by Orethrius »

pkd_lives

« Reply #13 on: 18 September 2002, 22:00 »
Okay I have a question on OS/2. I have been told on more than one occasion by technical people at IBM that OS/2 is NOT supported anymore. That would mean that the operating system could enter the public domain.

However recently OS/2 has started to surface again, and IBM seem to now be saying that OS/2 is a supported bona fide Operating system. Although it's not up to the job of server or desktop, it actually makes a good stable backdrop to technical applications (measurement and control type stuff), and is more stable than NT (which is not suprising as my understanding is that NT was developed out of this OS).
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #14 on: 18 September 2002, 22:13 »
they did not support it for a good while, but they have decided recently it seems to begin charging a huge amount of money for it again, rather than abandonware it.

shame.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism