Author Topic: Free OS-X  (Read 2634 times)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Free OS-X
« on: 11 August 2002, 06:28 »
You know what would be a good idea... an absoulutely Kick ass idea. If some kick ass developers made a Free MacOS like os, but based on *NIX that way it would be like MacOS X but fuly open source, use GNOME or KDE for the GUI.

smokey

• Kudos: 0
Free OS-X
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2002, 06:56 »
Quote from: Kintaro
You know what would be a good idea... an absoulutely Kick ass idea. If some kick ass developers made a Free MacOS like os, but based on *NIX that way it would be like MacOS X but fuly open source, use GNOME or KDE for the GUI.

errm I must be missing the point. A *nix system modded to be like MacOS but running KDE or GNOME so you dont even know. What is the difference between running this and Redhat with KDE or GNOME?
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 14:28 by Orethrius »
//this is how I was born :)

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/mybrain

Tip for win98 (l)users: type copy /con/con in your command prompt to increase stability

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
Free OS-X
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2002, 07:08 »
ummm, darwin + gnu userlands + kde. if i had some ppc hardware, i would already be running that along with macosx
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Free OS-X
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2002, 22:05 »
firstly, mandrake linux is free and can run on a mac, and it is GNU/Linux. Secondly, MacOSX is MacOS-like and it is based on BSD Darwin.

Also, BeOS runs on a mac does it not? however it is not unix like, doesn't (as far as i know) act like MacOS and the company has fallen through. Still, i think that this is still an impressive list on this score.

Re: MaCOSX, is it free? or does it officially cost? what versions of macos are free and so on for if you were to buy a second hand mac and want to put a different macOS on it from the one it comes with? anybody know? (and did i ask this before? doh!)
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

choasforages

• VIP
Free OS-X
« Reply #4 on: 12 August 2002, 06:30 »
by any chance can you compile your own kernel for macosx, and is it somewhat supported or not

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
Free OS-X
« Reply #5 on: 12 August 2002, 11:58 »
Yes but also have it completely "User Oblivious" like mac!

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Free OS-X
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2002, 21:53 »
Fool, OS X isn't free by any means.  The only "free" part of it is the BSD core, which was stolen from the open source community.  I wouldn't use OS X even if they gave it away for free. (Which they don't)

smokey

Free OS-X
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2002, 03:06 »
Quote from: slave
Fool, OS X isn't free by any means.  The only "free" part of it is the BSD core, which was stolen from the open source community.  I wouldn't use OS X even if they gave it away for free. (Which they don't)

You are right except the part of BSD which as you say "stole" was released back to the public as open source here http://developer.apple.com/darwin/
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 14:29 by Orethrius »
//this is how I was born :)

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/mybrain

Tip for win98 (l)users: type copy /con/con in your command prompt to increase stability

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
Free OS-X
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2002, 13:34 »
Quote from: slave
Fool, OS X isn't free by any means. The only "free" part of it is the BSD core, which was stolen from the open source community. I wouldn't use OS X even if they gave it away for free. (Which they don't)

No your the fool, what im saying is make a free OS-X you dumb evil fuck!
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 14:29 by Orethrius »

the_black_angel

Free OS-X
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2002, 18:47 »
get the x86 version of darwin or GNU-darwin and install x-windows and your favourite manager. Then set up an aqua theme

[ August 13, 2002: Message edited by: the_black_angel ]
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 14:30 by Orethrius »
--
The Black Angel

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Free OS-X
« Reply #10 on: 13 August 2002, 22:21 »
Quote from: Calum
Re: MaCOSX, is it free? or does it officially cost? what versions of macos are free and so on for if you were to buy a second hand mac and want to put a different macOS on it from the one it comes with? anybody know? (and did i ask this before? doh!)

Mac OS 7.5 and bellow are absolutely free. Mac OSX's core, darwin is free and open source, the GUI/system is really what you pay for when you buy OSX. OSX comes free with every Mac.
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 14:31 by Orethrius »
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
Free OS-X
« Reply #11 on: 16 August 2002, 21:18 »
Yes but macs are the best computers for stupid people. Somthing like the mac but UNIX based (Like OS-X) For example have a fake filesystem...

Really all the software is installed in the /usr/share but to the user its just an icon in a menu that can be right clicked and uninstalled. Simple stuff like that!

choasforages

• VIP
Free OS-X
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2002, 01:48 »
kde with mosfets liquid theme. that would work great

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
Free OS-X
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2002, 06:52 »
Its not how it looks, its feel.

Gnome, Kde, and the rest are UNIX styled.
Start from scratch...

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Free OS-X
« Reply #14 on: 28 September 2002, 14:57 »
Here's what you do...

Start with Darwin, build your own Display PostScript or Display PDF layer so that you can provide a Quartz-like graphics layer, then get a nice, cushy UI framework (KDE, Gnome, et cetera) and make said framework pervasive the way Aqua is with OS X.

Remember, OS X isn't just X11 with a pretty window manager, it's a whole new graphics engine combined with the Carbon/Cocoa frameworks which handle all the UI stuff.

Really, the graphics layer would be the fun part, after that, you'd just have to either adapt your framework to it, or design your graphics layer to emulate X11 calls.

Fiddle around with OpenStep, or see if you can get your mits on Rhapsody and hack the holy living fuck out of it.

If you could get some programmers together and make that work... actually pull off an open source implemenation of OS X, or something like it... you'd be the next Linus Torvalds!
Go the fuck ~