Author Topic: table, td and background problems  (Read 1978 times)

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
table, td and background problems
« on: 7 February 2004, 04:17 »
I want to have two td's (or tables at least) to touch by a curved upward line. I have to have the two td's two different widths. I tried to nest tables, but that make the page break. when I try to use a 1x1 transparent image, for some strange reason, the background of the <td> that creates the curved effect disappears.

http://www.geocities.com/thomasrocks1/source.txt" target="_blank">
here's my source

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #1 on: 7 February 2004, 19:59 »
That's some darn messy code there. I tried to clean it up some and figure out what you were trying to get, but just can't make out what it is your trying to get.

[ February 07, 2004: Message edited by: Fett101 ]

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #2 on: 8 February 2004, 00:06 »
It appears that you started one table but ended two.  :confused:
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #3 on: 8 February 2004, 01:59 »
Canadian Lover, what is it you're trying to do? You've been posting the same code since months ago. I've helped you for your code several times, and you came up with a reasonable layout. Yet you keep changing it and breaking it all the time and taking steps backwards, and I've seen very little progress since the last time.

Anyway, would you please post your images, so we can see what's going on? How else can we find out about the disappearing curved effect? And why do you want to use a transparent image, anyway?

And no offence intended, but for god's sake, work on your spelling. One of the tables didn't display properly because you misspellt the word 'bgcolor'.

OK, here are some corrections:

http://laukev7.netfirms.com/canada.txt

You'll have to paste the link in your address bar, though.

[ February 07, 2004: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #4 on: 8 February 2004, 05:14 »
LOL!! Indeed, this piece of code is very confusing! Laukev's corrections seem to be fine though, so why not apply them? In any case, you can also run your code through the W3C's validator for heaven's sake. Just a friendly advice   ;)

Canadian Lover

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: 8 February 2004, 05:20 »

the bended corner background
Edit: fucking geocities

[ February 07, 2004: Message edited by: Canadian Lover ]

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 8 February 2004, 05:25 »
Erm, what about your transparent pixel? We need it to see why it makes your corner disappear. Honestly though, I have no idea what you need it for.

And you'll need to change the extension of the image file in your code, too.

While we're at it, why do use one single line of CSS in the HTML document, when you could just stuff it in the CSS file (style1.css) you're linking to? In fact, try switching everything to CSS altogether, that will make your code much easier to read. And maybe post it for us to see, too.

Canadian Lover

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 8 February 2004, 06:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by Laukev7:
Erm, what about your transparent pixel? We need it to see why it makes your corner disappear. Honestly though, I have no idea what you need it for.

And you'll need to change the extension of the image file in your code, too.

While we're at it, why do use one single line of CSS in the HTML document, when you could just stuff it in the CSS file (style1.css) you're linking to? In fact, try switching everything to CSS altogether, that will make your code much easier to read. And maybe post it for us to see, too.

I'll post the CSS document now:
Code: [Select]
as for the corner, I'm going to put the Search Articles form there.

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 8 February 2004, 10:10 »
quote:
as for the corner, I'm going to put the Search Articles form there.

But I still don't understand why you need a transparent pixel? Is it a separator of some sort?

By the way, the problem is not the transparent pixel. Instead of using a background image, you should use an image of size 100% in a cell with a fixed size. For example:

And in CSS:

Check my URL again, and don't forget to add the #corner attribute to your CSS file. I also corrected some other issues that were due to spelling mistakes. You may want to make a few position and size adjustments, depending on how you want to layout your website.

[ February 08, 2004: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

Canadian Lover

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2004, 19:11 »
thx  

Canadian Lover

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: 11 February 2004, 06:43 »
That's funny, I just wrote a JavaScript that sets the sidebar width. It works in Exploder, but not in Mozilla.
http://www.geocities.com/thomasrocks1/code.txt
(the large block of text is to test the function. also I added cellpadding="0" and cellspacing="0" IE ingones these for some strange reason