Author Topic: Stupid Internet questions  (Read 5297 times)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Stupid Internet questions
« Reply #45 on: 21 January 2003, 21:22 »
well. its not exactly pissing anyone off. most people are just ignoring him and keeping at teh topic at hand.
speaking of the topic. i was going through that PDF doc last night (nothing better to do, its a monday night) and realized that i really do not need to spend my time on it. it would be cool to understand how to setup a secure linux server. but i have too many projects and things to focus on. these computers are taking up too much of my time as it is.

pkd_lives

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #46 on: 21 January 2003, 21:41 »
Learn as you go. I do not have time for Security at the moment, but by learning the HTML stuff and getting a site functional, I get free tickets to concerts where I get to hear good music, it's barter, I learn enough to make the value for tickets balance, of course I also get to hear of events because of this, and that is how I go along, when someone needs to have security on their site, then I will learn that, of course I have to find time in my life, which is hard work even without the computer stuff, but it's worthwhile.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #47 on: 21 January 2003, 22:01 »
Hmmm im gonna get Zombie banned by the webmaster, parhaps then entire joink network.

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #48 on: 21 January 2003, 22:04 »
if i am going to keep at this it will have to stay a hobby. I would rather foucs on my art, which i have lost sight of. and not just stupid photoshop, but my oil painting technique sucks now, my watercolor technique sucks. i am drawing a blank in my sketch book. getting my skill back is more important right now. so linux stays a hobby for me. (not that i consider linux a hobby os, from what little i have learned, linux r0x0rz joo p4ntz!  ;)  !)
i am trying to get a web page up right now. i have a very basic (read: ugly) design right now, i have to work on that. i would like to keep it accesible for dial-up also. i have a hard time doing that  ;)  . I also have a personal site going up. this is something that i would like to have a web server for, then i can test things a little easier, and im not limited to X mbs. unless redHat 8 can do it right out of the box??? then i can worry about understanding security later.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #49 on: 21 January 2003, 22:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by X11: Doing YA MUM:
Hmmm im gonna get Zombie banned by the webmaster, parhaps then entire joink network.

yeah right. keep flapping your mouth off. it won't happen. and this sort of shit is wasted in what started out a perfectly good topic (something i see very little of on this board these days).
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

pkd_lives

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #50 on: 21 January 2003, 23:02 »
Xyle - that is the way it's meant to be, computers can be used to enhance life, I have a deeper interest because I'm an engineer, but you should learn enough to put up a site of your own, then you have somewhere to showcase your work, which will inspire you, or at the very least force you to create something out of embarassement of having nothing new  ;)  

And that is part of what I like about Linux, I can do it so easily and so well, without spending a lot of money, pirating software or having to hire stuff from big corporations (well except for the access, and I am starting to look into seeing how I can set up myself as a provider, to myself if nothing else, however that is not in anyway promising.)
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #51 on: 22 January 2003, 00:13 »
true true.

quote:
im quoting myslef: isnt that wierd  ;)
I have a question about the setup of my home network..
this is how it is setup now. i have all of my machines and the dsl router connected to my 5 port switch. is the way i have it setup now going to be a problem when i setup a webserver. it seems like it is going to, but i don't know. Should i steup a machine with two ethernet adapters in it, and have the dsl go to one, and then have the switch connected to the other. and then share the internet connection from the server??

any suggestions??

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #52 on: 22 January 2003, 00:29 »
i dont know much about switches but why would it block webserver traffic?
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #53 on: 22 January 2003, 01:25 »
not that it would block traffic, but if i have 3 machines and my dsl router all plugged into a switch, wouldnt that leave my systems at risk?? it just seems kinda open.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #54 on: 22 January 2003, 06:46 »
Put a gateway in is my advice.

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #55 on: 11 February 2003, 13:44 »
nevermind. its working.,

[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: Xyle: iGeek... ]

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #56 on: 15 February 2003, 18:47 »
cut it out like the headlights flashing cut it out.