Author Topic: php  (Read 2393 times)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
php
« on: 12 March 2003, 22:31 »
okay, i have some questions about php.
i want to be able to update a website easily, can i have a txt file with the info and have the page read it and adjust accordingly. what i would need is the have a list of files available to download and the corresponding file have an easy to read name, like this: "Your project 0301"(link on site), 0301_1fp.dwg"(file to download). and, how would the page formatting be handled? would i just have to setup css to keep it consistent??? i am RTFM, but i have to know if i can do this pretty soon. i havent gotten very far in the book yet.
would it be pretty easy to set this up???

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
php
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2003, 01:17 »
php is perfect, but use mysql to hold the "Details" in a database, buy PHP in 24 hours by Sams Publishing, it would be perfect for learning PHP.

xyle_one

• VIP
php
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2003, 01:20 »
word. thanks.  

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
php
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2003, 01:39 »
PHPNuke, MyPHPNuke, Postnuke would be ideal for the things you're asking for.

BTW, my page runs on myPHPnuke 1.8.8_7. Check out the content and tell me if you're looking for something similar.

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: Panos ]

xyle_one

• VIP
php
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2003, 01:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by Panos:
PHPNuke, MyPHPNuke, Postnuke would be ideal for the things you're asking for.

BTW, my page runs on myPHPnuke 1.8.8_7. Check out the content and tell me if you're looking for something similar.

okay, this is what i need. follow this link http://ecsyle.com/lhaa/
username= lhaa
password = tahoe.
if you click on the projects link, you will see a list of projects. i need that list to be updated easily (like from a text file), and to have the link correspond to a password protected folder with a list of files to be downloaded. my goal is the be able to let my client update their page without fucking with the html. they can just modify the projects.txt file, upload it and bam, site updated with the current information. of course they will have to upload the neccesary autocad files as well, but they do not have to fuck with the layout. it would be nice if i could keep a similar layout throughout the site (i have a meeting with them in a few days to discuss the site design, the one up now is just to show them how it will flow). maybe the list you see when you click on projects could be determined by the name of the folders under /projects. then in each folder have a txt file with the <file name, link name> and only have the link name show up?

xyle_one

• VIP
php
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2003, 01:56 »
what you have going on on your site would work for my artforms project though  ;)

Pantso

php
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2003, 02:46 »
I know what you mean ecsyle and there are two ways to do it: the hard one and the easy one.   :D   The hard one would mean that you'd have to code yourself in PHP and the easy one would mean that you'd have to download a CMS (Content Management System) like the ones I mentioned above. Both solutions would definitely require a database (I personally prefer MySQL). I can't help you though with coding in PHP since I'm a total newbie. The only things I dare tweak are the theme.php, header.php and footer.php files in the respected themes, lol!

Finally, if you go for a Nuke portal, I would recommend myPHPNuke or PHPNuke. The latter is prettier (my opinion) but still has bugs. MPN is REALLY stable but still in an early version. It is however supported by a great developing team, who would kindly offer their support! The nice part is that they're both GPL'd!  ;)  

Whatever you choose I can help you set things up, so if you need any help PM me. I'd be glad to help!  

xyle_one

• VIP
php
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2003, 03:51 »
im going to have to stick with the websites theme. so i dont know if i could use a CMS. ill play with it tonight. it would be "fucking rad" if i could bend it to suit my needs though...

Pantso

php
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2003, 05:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by ecsyle_one:
im going to have to stick with the websites theme. so i dont know if i could use a CMS. ill play with it tonight. it would be "fucking rad" if i could bend it to suit my needs though...

Hmm, that's a bit hard to do. You could download a theme and tamper with the theme, header, footer php files as well as the CSS of the theme. You could setup a "fake" CMS page on a new directory on your server and test it there. That way it wouldn't interfere with your default one, which I assume is /www or something.

xyle_one

• VIP
php
« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2003, 12:40 »
Panos: check your PM.
(edit: im a dumbass  ;)  )

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: ecsyle_one ]

Pantso

php
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2003, 18:21 »
Check your PM ecsyle! Glad you managed to set it up!  

xyle_one

• VIP
php
« Reply #11 on: 13 March 2003, 19:42 »
Panos: i tried to register a new user, but never recieved an email...... what do i have to change??

Pantso

php
« Reply #12 on: 13 March 2003, 19:49 »
I'm setting up a test PHP-nuke site on my hosting server and I'll get back to you later on that. Mind you, that I'm not using PHP-Nuke but myPHPNuke which is a different portal in many ways. Pls be patient, I'll get back to you a.s.a.p.  

Pantso

php
« Reply #13 on: 13 March 2003, 20:40 »
Funny thing. I can register and receive mail on the test PHPNuke page fine by using the default settings. Could this be a mailserver problem with your host?   :confused:

xyle_one

• VIP
php
« Reply #14 on: 13 March 2003, 20:54 »
strange. during the config, i was never asked for any mail settings. and in the config.php script, the only info i was asked to supply was the mysql info. is there a *.php to config mail settings?? or maybe an administrative panel? do you have sendmail configured on your server?? because i never set up any mail server on mine, and maybe that is the problem.