Author Topic: HTML/Browser Question  (Read 905 times)

LorKorub

• Kudos: 0
HTML/Browser Question
« on: 27 September 2002, 14:55 »
I know the <marquee> tag is only supported by $hitternet explorer, but I had used it in a recent project I was doing for a friend. I tested the page with Mozilla 1.1a, and low and behold, the marquee shows up at the top where it should be, scrollinglike it would in IE.

The thing that got me is that I tested it on Mozilla 1.1a in Windows 2K when it worked, but when I tested it on Linux (same version of Moz), it didn't run (just hung there like it normally would on a NS/Moz browser.)

At school tonight, I tested it on a $hitblows 2K computer running Moz 1.1a, and it didn't work there.  So....my question is: What the fuck? Did Moz start supporting this tag or not?
"American English -- the noble language of your superiors"

flap

• Kudos: 137
HTML/Browser Question
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2002, 15:23 »
Browsers like Mozilla support some html extensions in order to provide maximum compatibility with web pages infected by them, but it doesn't mean you should use them. Stick to standards compliant html.
Scrolling text looks terrible in web-pages btw.
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

LorKorub

• Kudos: 0
HTML/Browser Question
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2002, 17:11 »
It is a news-scroller for a wedding page that will most likely have no more than 300 people visiting it.  When I do commercial projects, I never use non-standard tags.  In this case, I was doing something for free for a bunch of people that would be using IE or Netscape (most are AOL people), and I didn't feel it neccessary to spend a great deal of time writing a JAVA applet.
"American English -- the noble language of your superiors"