Author Topic: "Natural Firewall"  (Read 810 times)

cdhgold

• Kudos: 0
"Natural Firewall"
« on: 7 March 2003, 00:30 »
I heard somewhere tha in linux you can set up what was reffered to as a "natural firewall". Supposedly this is either 2 linux boxes or 1 box with 2 nics in which you can pass tcp/ip into the firewall and it translates into IPX and back to TCP/IP. That way if someone tried to hack into the system and watch out goign traffic they get garbage back. Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it possible and/or effective? and if so where can I go to find docs on how to do it. I already have one firewall in place and am nterested in using this in addition to it.

Cdhgold

pkd_lives

"Natural Firewall"
« Reply #1 on: 7 March 2003, 02:00 »
As far as I know a 'natural firewall' does not change the protocol. What it does is allow communications between external and internally generated TCP/IP addresses. It allows these internally produced TCP/IP addresses to connect to the 'net, through a single externally visable TCP/IP address. So someone looking in cannot see any of the machines connected, because it cannot interpret their TCP/IP addresses.

If your machine is a single system then a natural firewall is not much good to you. This will not protect your data, it will protect your systems.

What you probably need to look at is data encryption and securing your data.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

cdhgold

"Natural Firewall"
« Reply #2 on: 7 March 2003, 06:00 »
thanks for the clarification!

Cdhgold

quote:
Originally posted by Linux Frank:
As far as I know a 'natural firewall' does not change the protocol. What it does is allow communications between external and internally generated TCP/IP addresses. It allows these internally produced TCP/IP addresses to connect to the 'net, through a single externally visable TCP/IP address. So someone looking in cannot see any of the machines connected, because it cannot interpret their TCP/IP addresses.

If your machine is a single system then a natural firewall is not much good to you. This will not protect your data, it will protect your systems.

What you probably need to look at is data encryption and securing your data.