Author Topic: Hostname goes to what NIC, Domain outside vs. NAT Domain inside?  (Read 1062 times)

grrfrog

• Kudos: 0
    • http://grrfrog.net
I am trying to set up my NAT'd home network / world webserver, and am running into a dual personality dilemna in the server.

Question:
How should I configure my /etc/hosts and BIND to accomidate both the inside and outside NICs of my networks. I have two addresses, but only one hostname for my linux gateway. Which one gets the name? I have a fqdn, but it gets confusing when the hostname portion of the fqdn is also my computer's inside network hostname.

Here's the situation:
I have a linux box as my firewall / web-server / gateway to the internet; also my linux box is running bind and squid to cache only for my internal network.

I am using my cable modem in bridge mode so that the linux box actually has the DHCP'd address given to me by roadrunner.

The linux box has 2 nics, eth0, the outside, eth1 the inside private network, 192.168.123.1

Does anyone have any light to shed on this dual personality situation? I'm a bit lost on an elegant solution, and have just hacked a solution in my /etc/hosts file:

127.0.0.1  door.grrfrog.net localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.123.1   door.localdomain   door
192.168.123.50  mabel.localdomain  mabel
192.168.123.51  anne.localdomain   anne