Author Topic: curses login  (Read 955 times)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
curses login
« on: 18 August 2002, 07:49 »
Is there a "lgin" program for Linux done in curses, or would i have to modify the original. If your wondering why i would nee one.. I dont, its just for some nice eye candy.

Also i plan on writing a very simple menu program to select programs (for shell) in linux.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
curses login
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2002, 21:06 »
Do you mean is there a program written in curses that will bring up a menu when you login to a virtual terminal?  If so, there are many curses based menu programs that you can add to your ".bash_login".  Heck, the easiest way to build a nice text based color menu would be to write a shell script utilizing the "dialog" command.  This generates ncurses based menus and prompts very easily.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
curses login
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2002, 21:44 »
Yes thats what i was thinging but, im wanting to modify the "login" program and make it use curses, unless its already done. I mainly just want to gain skill in C/C++

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
curses login
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2002, 21:49 »
I would suggest that before trying to modify "login" you just write a standalone app using curses that you can add to your ".bash_login".  It would basically serve the same purpose.  Or is it the login text itself that you want to change?  As in the information in "/etc/issue"?
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
curses login
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2002, 10:25 »
The login itself.