Author Topic: best language  (Read 1687 times)

sEkToR

• Kudos: 54
best language
« on: 12 May 2002, 11:41 »
what is the best most worthwhile language to learn? i know u guys are gunna say "depends"... well i mean like the 1 that is used most to program things, and would be a good time investment and be worthwhile.
--------------------------------
supreme court: Sorry Mr. Gates, but your reign of terror is over... we vote GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
best language
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2002, 12:54 »
quote:
...well i mean like the 1 that is used most to program things, and would be a good time investment and be worthwhile.
C++

Powered by Mandrake Linux and Freedom

If software can be free, why can't dolphins?
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
best language
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2002, 13:10 »
C also!

hehe... actually they are not too far appart. Once you know one, it's not too hard to learn the other since they share the same general concepts and structure.

Another thing about C\C++ once you got a good understanding of eather one, all other languages seem to come a whole lot easier! At least this has been my experience, I don't know about anyone else.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Ctrl Alt Del 123

• Kudos: 0
best language
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2002, 07:07 »
Spanish!

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
best language
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2002, 21:17 »
Probably C++
if you want to learn HTML check the Miniguide on my lovely Website.

I know:
PowerBASIC, VBasic, Qbasic, LearnING c++, HTML, GERMAN    ENGLISH

dbl221

best language
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2002, 07:39 »
C no doubt about it most of the software in use today is written in C.
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
best language
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2002, 08:20 »
i'm gonna say basic, because its the first thing i kinda learned (i only know how to program the really old basic on a commodore 64).
I dont really know very much about any programming, but i was trying to learn C and C++, but i am low on time. Web programming is easy to learn, like; HTML, javascript, Java, DHTML, CSS, XSS, XML. Javascript is akin to C, is it not?

[ May 17, 2002: Message edited by: Master of Reality ]

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Master Windu

best language
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2002, 16:32 »
C++ is probably the best *programming* language you could learn, at least for starting out. It is kind of an intermediary between C and JAVA, both of which are frequently used today.  If you learn C++, you can go  "backwards" and learn C, or bounce "forward" to JAVA  without too much difficulty adapting to the basic structure.  All of these languages use different syntax, so that is just something you have to learn.

A good language to start out with, and that is relatively easy, is HTML.  When I first started, I always found it easier with HTML bceause I could actually "see" what is going on.  With C++, you are working with classes, pointers, arrays, and a whole bunch of other things that are not directly related to output.  HTML gives you the visuality, and lets you become familiar with syntax, and important part of any computer language.  Once you have the basics of HTML down, it would be a good time to develop on that further by learning Javascript.  Javascript, not JAVA (there is a HUGE difference) will give you the opportunity to learn about variables, conditional statements, functions, etc., providing you with a firm base of these terms, the ability to recognize them, and to know what they do.  Plus, they hold many similarities to C++.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
best language
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2002, 16:45 »
so how does this sound for a plan ( i am going to try and take the "what's all this programming about anyway" plunge myself)?

html first (already learning it)
javascript next (you need to learn it anyway if using html)
C after that
C++ closely following
and then i can do all that Perl, Python, Java, basic stuff after all that, when i am a 'guru'!  :D  what say?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
best language
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2002, 17:40 »
not a bad plan...
I went from learning HTML (and CSS) to starting to learn C++, but i have done very little to leran it due to the fact that i have to use a windows machine for the internet right now because i screwed up my partition table on my linux machine.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Master Windu

best language
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2002, 18:07 »
If you have to use a Window$ (P)OS, got to http://www.borland.com and download their compiler. That M$ Visual C++ compiler is the biggest piece of shit, it is ridiculous.  I don't understand how anyone is supposed to learn a programming language by using that compiler. It gives you "error" messages for just about every ludicrous thing you can think of.  I had a program with a nested switch that it gave me shit over, it complains about variables that start with an underscore, and, this is my favorite one, if you comment out something that isn't using the proper syntax, it won't build it!  So, I ask, what is the fucking point of having a comment then?  90% of the time I use them is becaue I need to edit out a function, or a few lines that I am debugging.

Of course, if you go to another computer terminal, load up your source code, run the Micro$hit compiler, and build you program, for some reason, it will work on there even though you are using the same compiler, the same version, on the same (P)OS, from the same company.  If you are ever wondering why Microsoft's products all suck, and why they are full of bugs, there is your answer.  If they are writing code strictly using their bug-ridden compilers, no wonder why all of their software they release is absolute fodder.

Stick with Borland's compiler. It's free and easy to use in WinDo$e. Digital Mars makes a free one as well, but I haven't tried it yet. Linux comes free with GNU, so that is what I usually write on.  I write all of my code on GNU with no errors, then when I take it to school, and I compile it on the M$ compiler, suddenly I have 50 error messages that are generated by bullshit things like not pressing a space bar or something.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
best language
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2002, 19:35 »
GCC is my compiler, and i use cygwin...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
best language
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2002, 20:17 »
i certainly don't have to (and would rather not) use a windows OS for programming. i suspect i will adamantly never learn how to use visual basic, for example, too much real knowledge out there to clutter my mind up with trivia!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

sEkToR

• Kudos: 54
best language
« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2002, 21:35 »
k, any programs for c, that  r good, i already have M$hit visual c++ but i dont really like Micro$hit
--------------------------------
supreme court: Sorry Mr. Gates, but your reign of terror is over... we vote GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY

Master Windu

best language
« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2002, 06:42 »
Digital Mars has free compilers for C and C++.  You can use these on Windoze.

If you are running Linux, chances are that your distro came with GNU.  GNU has a compiler for just about every language you can think of.  Check your distro to see if it has GNU (it most likely does) and install it.