Author Topic: Linux @Home networking  (Read 908 times)

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
Linux @Home networking
« on: 25 September 2002, 21:56 »
Let's say I could get several cheap computers. What kind of network could I setup that would teach me the most about networking computers.

Maybe I should say, what kind of projects could I try to setup?

ex: configuring samba

ex: setting up a linux file server for win98 machines.

Also, since I have a dynamic IP, am I able to setup a server so I could share ISOs, or do I have to get a registered domain?  :confused:
*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Linux @Home networking
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2002, 15:15 »
yes, yes, and no.  The no is regarding the need for a registered domain.  There are several free dynamic domain services like http://www.dyndns.org/ that will allow you to keep your host name updated for whatever your IP address is. You will have to choose a host name on one of their domains though.  

However, sharing ISOs is not going to work very well unless you have a T1 or higher. Even with cable/DSL the "upload" or "upstream" or "send" bandwidth is usually very low which means very long transfer times if people are downloading ISOs from your machine. Going the other direction (to your machine) would be very fast from a server residing on a T1 or higher network.

And sure there are many ways to configure Samba. You can configure it as a Windows Domain Controller, a Domain Member server, a Workgroup server, etc. But of course then you are just learning *Windows* networking. Still better to do it with Samba.  If you want to learn UNIX networking then you'll want to play with UNIX services like NFS, NIS, dhcp, bootp, dns, telnet, ftp, tftp, ssh, etc, etc, etc...
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
Linux @Home networking
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2002, 18:07 »
a four computer network with one acting as a proxy/firewall/server is what i have to test my setup. I have 2X windows, 2X Slackware, and 2X redhat on the computers (altogether including dual boots). I used to use no-ip.com for ipaddress domain. You can get a cool domain like crackhead.serverbeer.com
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
Linux @Home networking
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2002, 18:46 »
Yeah, o.k. that sounds like a cool project to try. I was thinking of setting up a single box as a file server, because setting up samba for that seems relatively simple.

I had not considered a proxy, or firewall, so that would be a learning experience. thanks.
*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Linux @Home networking
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2002, 22:29 »
I just read the most of the IP specification so setting it up was easy.