Author Topic: image leeching  (Read 1284 times)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
image leeching
« on: 29 July 2003, 08:47 »
So. i need a way to prevent people from leeching images of off my website. I have no idea how to go about doing this. Any ideas or suggestions? I did some google searching, but really didnt come across anything that helpful.

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
image leeching
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2003, 08:52 »
i'm not sure if u can. i mean, the image gets downloaded to their computer so they can see it. This might start a debate. like the whole free software vs. expensive software. The best i can suggest is some copyrights and some good lawyers for when u catch someone.

xyle_one

• VIP
image leeching
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2003, 08:55 »
im noticing a lot of people using images off of my website for sig images in a few forums. If i could just stop them frrom linking to it i would be happy. i am trying to find a script or something. but i am really lost here. i guess i should just watermark everything and pay close attention to my logs

Stryker

• VIP
image leeching
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2003, 21:37 »
basic authentication? just password protect the folder it's in and give out the username and password for it on ur site.

Stryker

• VIP
image leeching
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2003, 21:50 »

testing that theory.

xyle_one

• VIP
image leeching
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2003, 10:26 »
haha. that freaked me out a bit. i opened this thread and it asked for a username & password  

that would work, but the images that are being leeched, are part of a feature on my site that everyone needs access to. i do not want to password protect the folder. i am thinking of just moving the folder, changing some links, and putting up a picture of tubgirl or something. they would be in for a surprise when they see that.

Stryker

• VIP
image leeching
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2003, 10:32 »
put the images in a database (longblob). have the index.php page make a small cookie. when trying to access the picture via getpicture.php?img=main.jpg have it check for the cookie (1 hour set or something), if no cookie load a "this is leached" image.

xyle_one

• VIP
image leeching
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2003, 10:55 »
lol. i found the answer.
i created this .htaccess file with the following-
Code: [Select]
oh shit. and i mean that literally. when someone leeches out of that directory, they will be in for a nasty surprise.

[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: ecsyle:951 ]

flap

• Kudos: 137
image leeching
« Reply #8 on: 29 July 2003, 14:50 »
Is this your own server? You can prevent deeplinking in apache like so: http://apache-server.com/tutorials/ATimage-theft.html
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Stryker

• VIP
image leeching
« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2003, 16:15 »
There's always an easier way... damn.

at least mine was creative.

I think he got it though.

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
image leeching
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2003, 20:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by ecsyle:951:
oh shit. and i mean that literally. when someone leeches out of that directory, they will be in for a nasty surprise.

Not nearly as nasty as when they try to leach from Something Awful.

xyle_one

• VIP
image leeching
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2003, 00:00 »
its not my own server. i wish it were, then i would have a lot more control over this sort of thing.

so what exactly do you get when you leech off of something awful?

quote:
There's always an easier way... damn.

at least mine was creative.

I think he got it though.

yes it was creative. it would be enough to drive the admins of a forum insane when someone was trying to link to an image on your server  
thanks for the help  

xyle_one

• VIP
image leeching
« Reply #12 on: 30 October 2003, 04:05 »
itm