Author Topic: FORTRAN 77/90 fans??  (Read 903 times)

LorKorub

• Kudos: 0
FORTRAN 77/90 fans??
« on: 30 August 2002, 14:45 »
I find this language to be very peculiar, and I've been dabbling it it recently, making simple fuctional programs that incorporate numerous mathematical routines (based on my *LIMITED* math skills.) I was just wondering if anyone has any experiece with this stuff, and could explain where you might go with knowing this language.

Also, if anyone can recommend any good books...
"American English -- the noble language of your superiors"

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
FORTRAN 77/90 fans??
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2002, 23:02 »
I used to program professionally in FORTRAN on mainframe and UNIX servers. Mostly FORTRAN77 but also some 66 and some 90. I think FORTRAN is a very easy language "as easy as BASIC or even easier". It is extremely good at math. There is an extensive list of math functions which makes it a popular language for scientific work.

I used to work in a weather shop and wrote FORTRAN programs for things like calculating the probability of different icing conditions at each flight level for a given location at a given time of year based on historical data. Or calculating atmospheric ash content at specific altitudes at each degree of earths latitde after a major volcano eruption. And be able to map those findings (mapping part usually was done using another language such as PV-WAVE).
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
FORTRAN 77/90 fans??
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2002, 05:31 »
hmmm, FORTRAN, maybe the langague that my calc uses is realated to it, ill post some code in a new post
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!