Author Topic: tiny C compiler query? (to fit on floppy)  (Read 1559 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
tiny C compiler query? (to fit on floppy)
« on: 1 December 2002, 00:38 »
does anybody know of any free C or C++ compilers (and for that matter any perl or java stuff and so on) that i can download on one computer and then transfer to my other one using floppies? the stuff needs to be able to fit on floppies. also, it needs to be able to run in windows 3.11 for workgroups OR linux.

i took a look at cygwin and gcc but they both appear to be quite large and not floppy friendly. also, from what i saw, cygwin isn't going to work in win3.11 anyway, though i could be wrong.

any ideas? thanks...

edit - Borland TurboC 2.01 looks like a good start, will post if it's any good or if i find any others...

[ November 30, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #1 on: 1 December 2002, 00:44 »
I can get you Borland C/C++ compiler 3.1 (old, runs in pure DOS or 3.11!)

Edit: Err, I mean IDE. You can download the DOS compiler for free from Borland.com.

[ November 30, 2002: Message edited by: TheQuirk ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #2 on: 1 December 2002, 01:04 »
basically i am actually after a linux c and hopefully c++ compiler that will fit on a floppy, soi can install it on my floppydriveonly machine and run it using linux. i'll probably be using pico to write the programs, and run them through the compiler myself, so no IDE really required. i suppose once i have got the compiler, i can compile joe, and use that as the text editor.
it just gets better and better!

i already have gmake, but i am a bit confused about how all that make/compiler stuff works really, so i will probably be missing a dependency somewhere and not know what it is...

flap

• Kudos: 137
« Reply #3 on: 1 December 2002, 04:10 »
Are you saying you've got a Linux machine with only a floppy drive and you want to install a compiler on it?

[ November 30, 2002: Message edited by: flap ]

"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #4 on: 1 December 2002, 05:11 »
yep, it has no modem, no cd drive and it has dos 6.2, windows 3.11 for workgroups and basiclinux 1.7 (which is linux 2.0 based on slack 3.5) and i'm thinking of getting a serial modem but haven't yet.

i want to put a c compiler on it (and i also want to put X on it, but that's another story).

I just put on Borland Turbo C 2 for DOS, which appears to be a complete environment, so i will have to get used to it, or else i could get one for linux. guess which i'd prefer.

already had 4 bluescreens with windows 3.11 in the last 2 days!

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.akgames.net
« Reply #5 on: 1 December 2002, 05:15 »
You could dig up an older version of the GCC here

If you are like me, you can either:
A) Get a fucking CD-ROM drive. What do they cost now, $20?

B) If you are psycho, you could get a USB card and boot Linux with a newer GCC off of a pen drive or a USB HDD (Linux on Pen drives is the shit!).

[ November 30, 2002: Message edited by: The Muffin Man ]

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #6 on: 1 December 2002, 05:21 »
You can always split files up that are bigger than the size of a floppy and then put them back together when you get them on the hard drive.

$ split -b 1400000 file.tar.gz

Which will split the file into 1400000 size pieces  and name the pieces of the file "xaa", "xab", "xac", etc. Then copy each piece to floppy, transfer them to your hard drive on the other machine, then cat them back together again:

$ cat xaa xab xac xad xae xaf > file.tar.gz

Of course there are many other ways, this just being one of them.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

flap

• Kudos: 137
« Reply #7 on: 1 December 2002, 05:22 »
Couldn't you take a cd drive from another machine and just temporarily install it in that one?
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #8 on: 1 December 2002, 05:40 »
i could... except that both machines i own (and both the other machines in the house) are all laptops!!!! pretty shitty all round. i am tired of laptops and their idiosyncracies, but they are certainly the most versatile if you have less room and might want to move around.

void main, thank you for that! i think that split will be great! very simple to use too. i still haven't got used to using normal utilities like 'cat' for so many different purposes! i would never have thought of that, but it is obvious after somebody tells you about it!  

thanks again.