Author Topic: 16 hidden ways XP connects with M  (Read 1785 times)

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
16 hidden ways XP connects with M
« on: 7 August 2003, 11:09 »
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #1 on: 7 August 2003, 11:40 »
sheesh, Don't buy XP.

I like the way this article was written, really easy to understand, and not as hateful as some.

the ways XP connects to other computers, including Microsodt HQ computers

1. Application Layer Gateway Service (Requires server rights. "Server rights" means that this Microsoft software inside your computer can set up an arrangement that allows other computers to control it.)
   2. Fax Service
   3. File Signature Verification
   4. Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (Requires server rights.)
   5. Microsoft Direct Play Voice Test
   6. Microsoft Help and Support Center (If you don't stop it, using "Help and Support" notifies Microsoft of the subject of your search.)
   7. Microsoft Help Center Hosting Server (Wants server rights.)
   8. Microsoft Management Console
   9. Microsoft Media Player (Tells Microsoft the music and videos you like. See the February 20, 2002 Security Focus article Why is Microsoft watching us watch DVD movies? [securityfocus.com].)
  10. Microsoft Network Availability Test
  11. Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service
  12. Microsoft Windows Media Configuration Utility (Setup_wm.exe, sometimes runs when you use Windows Media Player.)
  13. MS DTC Console program
  14. Run DLL as an app (There is no indication about which DLL or which function in the DLL.)
  15. Services and Controller app
  16. Time Service, sets the time on your computer from Microsoft's computer. (This can be changed to get the time from another time server.)

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
« Reply #2 on: 7 August 2003, 12:35 »
Yeah, I know. A chill actually went down my back as I read this. Not for my own sake but for those who own an Xp-computer.
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

3eyes

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: 7 August 2003, 16:32 »
"Windows XP is not the answer. Windows XP is the question. The answer is no." - random person on the net.

A friend asked me if I could crack Win XP's activation. I told him I had no idea since I'd never tried, and as a service to humanity, I wouldn't help spread even illegal copies of XP because it's that bad.

I must be getting paranoid in my old age, but  with this SCO crap I keep thinking M$ is really trying to take over the world.
"Microsoft is a marketing company, not a software company" - Bill Gates

"I don't really support piracy but I am dead serious about consumer rights" - bwid_s_01

Faust

« Reply #4 on: 7 August 2003, 22:02 »
quote:

6. Microsoft Help and Support Center (If you don't stop it, using "Help and Support" notifies Microsoft of the subject of your search.)

Is anyone else getting the urge to set up a bat file that searches for help on "fuck you you cockwhores" about 60 times a second?  More importantly could any of this be used to DoS the computer(s) that watch us?  :D  

Just joking of course  ;)
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

avello500

• http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
« Reply #5 on: 8 August 2003, 21:13 »
edit: drunken rampage or something.

[ August 09, 2003: Message edited by: avello500 ]

How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

solarismka

« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2003, 03:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by Faust:

Is anyone else getting the urge to set up a bat file that searches for help on "fuck you you cockwhores" about 60 times a second?  More importantly could any of this be used to DoS the computer(s) that watch us?   :D  

Just joking of course   ;)  

Hehe There you go faust.  You just discovered another M$ vulnrability, no wait  a 'feature'  :D
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.