Author Topic: Interesting article on MP3 sharing, RIAA, etc.  (Read 2995 times)

emh

• Kudos: 0

3eyes

Interesting article on MP3 sharing, RIAA, etc.
« Reply #1 on: 5 August 2003, 07:00 »
The music industry shot itself in the foot and is now claiming the fans did it to them.
"Microsoft is a marketing company, not a software company" - Bill Gates

"I don't really support piracy but I am dead serious about consumer rights" - bwid_s_01

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
« Reply #2 on: 5 August 2003, 08:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by 3eyes:
The music industry shot itself in the foot and is now claiming the fans did it to them.

I don't see how this article makes it somehow OK to steal music.  All it says is that people want to buy single songs instead of whole albums.  Cough iTune cough BuyMusic.com.  The record industry shot themselves in the foot, but that doesn't make it OK to steal music.  Thats like saying My neighbor shot himself in the foot, literally.  He's an artist, sells art for a living.  I'm gonna go into his computer and "share" his scanned in JPEG's with the world.  Doesn't sound like a cool thing to do does it?

3eyes

« Reply #3 on: 5 August 2003, 08:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by jeffberg: Mac Capitalist:

I don't see how this article makes it somehow OK to steal music.  All it says is that people want to buy single songs instead of whole albums.  Cough iTune cough BuyMusic.com.  The record industry shot themselves in the foot, but that doesn't make it OK to steal music.  Thats like saying My neighbor shot himself in the foot, literally.  He's an artist, sells art for a living.  I'm gonna go into his computer and "share" his scanned in JPEG's with the world.  Doesn't sound like a cool thing to do does it?

I was referring to the slump in sales. They blame the slump on downloading but the fact is it began when they stopped selling singles.

Not that I really care; almost all of the artists I like are dead. I already have most all of the songs I'll ever listen to unless Hendrix should come back from the dead.

And I also don't care any more about the record companies than I do M$.They're just as bad; if you read the article, you see the artists saying that themselves. I will never support them if I can help it.

[ August 05, 2003: Message edited by: 3eyes ]

"I don't really support piracy but I am dead serious about consumer rights" - bwid_s_01

emh

« Reply #4 on: 5 August 2003, 08:52 »
quote:

cough BuyMusic.com

*cough*only works with Windows Media Player*cough*website only works with Internet Explorer*cough*WMA*cough*

The point the article was getting at was that the public wants to be able to buy singles.

I have a feeling you didn't read the whole article, because it did mention iTunes and it's huge success, citing that this was exactly what people wanted.

flap

• Kudos: 137
« Reply #5 on: 5 August 2003, 16:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by jeffberg: Mac Capitalist:

cough cough cough cretin cough.
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #6 on: 5 August 2003, 19:52 »
quote:
cough cough cough cretin cough.

I think most of us expected you to turn up at that point, flap, but was this really necessary?

bwid_s_01

« Reply #7 on: 5 August 2003, 22:26 »
Fuck the RIAA. Fuck the MPAA. Fuck Microsoft. Fuck DRM. Fuck Macrovision. Fuck CSS!

When will these retards who come up with these protection/lawsuit/digital rights ideas get it through their heads that THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO music/video/software PIRACY!!! Every technology for anti-piracy will ALWAYS be countered by an anti-anti-piracy technology *cough* Macrovision *cough* Micro$hit activation *cough* CSS. All of those technologies and anti piracy measures got fucked. The question will NEVER be IF an antipiracy technology will be cracked but WHEN.

About the lawsuits: the only thing that they will bring about is an eventual boycott by music/video/software consumers. For example if there is ever some way for me to not be able to copy/re-encode/rearrange the contents of CDs and DVDs then I and tons of other people just won't buy them at all. I dont really support piracy but I am dead serious about consumer rights. As a DVD fan, I get a hell of a lot pissed off everytime I have to descramble, deCSS, etc. a dvd THAT I PAID FOR AN BOUGHT just to take it with me on the road on my laptop which has no dvd drive. That's just one example.
I do think that pay-per-song-download is a great idea. However, as far as I'm concerned I will never ever ever pay a cent for, or even visit a site that ONLY supports WMA, IE, and Windows. Fuck that. Also, if I'm gonna pay for downloading songs or movies, then I'll only do it if I get them either uncompressed or losslessly compressed, or maybe compressed but with high quality files. Not 128Kbps shit.

THEY SHOULD GET IT THROUGH THEIR HEADS - the ONLY way to stop piracy is to get the public to WANT not to pirate. And the only way to do that is to start selling music, videos, and software for CHEAP. Theyre gonna say "but then we'll go poor". I don't agree. I think if CDs and DVDs start going for really cheap prices then not only will people who pirate decide to pay for the stuff, but people who never buy OR pirate will buy the stuff. Plus they'll save tons of money if they don't bother with their anti-piracy encryption technologies.

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
« Reply #8 on: 5 August 2003, 22:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by bwid_s_01:
As a DVD fan, I get a hell of a lot pissed off everytime I have to descramble, deCSS, etc. a dvd THAT I PAID FOR AN BOUGHT just to take it with me on the road on my laptop which has no dvd drive. That's just one example.

Why do you get a hell of a lot pissed off when you have to deCSS a dvd.  First off, its a piece of cake. Check the decode CSS check box on your DVD descrambler and its done.  Second, you bought the DVD knowing full well that is was CSSed and Macrovisioned, so I don't see what you have to complain about.

Faust

« Reply #9 on: 5 August 2003, 22:42 »
Fuck cascading style sheets?
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Faust

Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Faust

« Reply #11 on: 6 August 2003, 00:13 »
quote:

Second, you bought the DVD knowing full well that is was CSSed and Macrovisioned, so I don't see what you have to complain about.

Was there another copy of that DVD that wasn't CSS'd?  (I take it CSS is a DVD rights limiting scheme?)
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

3eyes

« Reply #12 on: 6 August 2003, 04:01 »
quote:
I dont really support piracy but I am dead serious about consumer rights.

:D    :cool:

slvadcjelli42

« Reply #13 on: 6 August 2003, 04:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by Faust:

Hahaha, I don't know, Faust, that's what I saw first off, too  :D

bwid_s_01

« Reply #14 on: 6 August 2003, 07:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by Faust:

LOL no, i meant fuck the CSS technology used to "prevent" dvds from being copied to the hard disk.