Author Topic: Record industry bitching again...  (Read 2773 times)

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Record industry bitching again...
« on: 13 May 2003, 14:51 »
.. this time about the online publication of song lyrics.

Read here --> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3019681.stm

For christ's sake, when will this stop?

Catagoric destruction of everything useful on the 'net? Perhaps.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Faust

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2003, 16:14 »
You've got to be joking...  What the fuck is WRONG with these people?  Have they no minds?  How are they going to stop people working out the lyrics from the song itself?  Ban you from listening to it?
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2003, 17:30 »
you are months ahead of your time. by the end of the year we might well rue those words.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Faust

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2003, 17:44 »
RIAA: It is come to our attention through our psychological analysis think tank that some people are keeping copies of OUR music in their brains.  Apparently they are then, at times, proceeding to hum OUR tunes, thus breaching copyright by allowing bystanding pirates to eavesdrop on OUR tunes.  This must stop now - all owners of copyrighted music must IMMEDIATELY surrender any and all music playing devices to us.  This is the only acceptable solution to the "humming" problem - a problem which may kill off music foreever.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2003, 21:30 »
I heard someone from the band called Cold say "If you want to kill rock and roll, keep downloading."

NM

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2003, 11:36 »
Next they'll be suing us when we have a song stuck in our heads.

Faust

« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2003, 12:07 »
quote:
I heard someone from the band called Cold say "If you want to kill rock and roll, keep downloading."

Ah those rock bands.  Such rebels against authority.  ;)
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2003, 13:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by Macman: HAS 1000 POSTS:

what a fuckass. if you want to kill the band 'Cold' then go right on ahead.

Any real rock and roll band (grateful dead, green day, radiohead, phish, captain beefheart and many more) would be saying "fuck it, tape all our shows, send them to your mates, download our stuff" et c

the only thing i don't get about this mp3 sharing shit is, where's the live stuff? if i download something i don't usually want it to just be the album i could just buy that in the shops! i thirst for some good live stuff that you can't get on the albums, ironically you still have to scour the record shops to get that...

edit: i mean real record shops, not chains, do you still get them in the states?

[ May 14, 2003: Message edited by: Calum: hopelessly outnumbered ]

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2003, 14:30 »
quote:
edit: i mean real record shops, not chains, do you still get them in the states?
Dream on!   :mad:  Here, it's all chain outlets like "Block Buster" and "Where House", very few "real" record shops left anymore, and most of those are re-sellers.
quote:
Fine, I will abide by their wishes and not download their stuff.     I'll even respect Hillary's wishes and not download any RIAA music.    

Of course, I also won't be buying any of it either: not CDs, not from that Apple music site (as if I had to worry about that: I'm not using a Mac; I wouldn't do it anyway even if I was), or from any PC compatable clones.    

I did, however, download all your music.   :cool:      

That's what I'm doing from now on: supporting the RIAA-free independents.    

"There: now you'll never have to look at those dirty Windows anymore"
      --Daffy Duck
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Doctor V

« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2003, 14:31 »
This would all be funny, very funny, if it weren't real.  We sang La Bamba in spanish class in 7th grade.  Today I bet you couldn't do that because of all the copyright police.  Heck, they're even charging the girl scouts royalties for singing campfire songs (it was in the register a while back).  And it could get even worse from here.  Won't these people just fucking let up?!{`!?

V

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2003, 15:52 »
i visited a youth hostel in perth (in scotland, not australia, yes we had a perth first) and they had a record player where they could pipe music through the ground floor, they told me they had to play royalties to the performing rights association, they said they had been playing records like this for years when they got a visit one day from a performing rights representative who told them they would be billed for estimated back royalties from records they had already played. apparently piping music into the youth hostel's common room and dining room constituted public reproduction of a copyrighted work.

Faust

« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2003, 16:06 »
I say we go on a baseball bat rampage and kill em all.  The slow, fun, bludgeoning way!

quote:
i visited a youth hostel in perth (in scotland, not australia, yes we had a perth first)

You thieving bastards!  You... like... went forward in time and like... stole it.  Meh.  Most of Australia is named after places in other countries anyway, eg New South Wales.  Which is newer and therefore better than  Southern Wales.  The heat saps all our imagination - which is why we called our capital territory the Australian Capital Territory, our (sort of) northenmost state the Northern Territory and our westernmost state Western Australia.    Everything else is either named after whoever the hell found it or named after the local Aboriginal name.  ;)

Man RIAA needs to be taught a lesson.  ;)
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2003, 16:58 »
You guys, I have a brilliant idea!  It's the most kickass plan ever!  Let's buy a tiny uninhabited island in the Pacific, like Hawaii or something, and make our own country where it's *legal* to copy anything!  The whole country can be rigged with high speed internet access and we can host hundreds of ftps archiving the world's published information.  If the record companies or some asshole from the US tells us to stop we'll be like "Hey!  This is legal in our country!  Respect my authoritah!"

On second thought, scrap that idea, the US would probably make unfounded claims that we were harboring terrorists or building weapons of mass destruction and bomb the crap out of us.

[ May 14, 2003: Message edited by: Linux User #5225982375 ]

gnomez

« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2003, 17:14 »
Why stop at banning reproduction of song lyrics?

What we really need to do is clamp down on people who actually _sing_ those songs, out loud, without paying a royalty. And I'm not talking just street musicians -- what about those immoral folks who sing in the shower? And the even more wicked ones -- since they try to conceal their crimes -- yes, people who hum along in their heads.

Let's face it. It's wrong. The original artist (via the record company) has complete control over how the music is to be experienced. Any performance not sanctioned by them is clearly illegal. And worse, all those folks who heard you sing would otherwise have bought the CD, so you're losing sales -- stealing from the artist.
Not only that, but someone could record you singing the song, even if the original CD was copy protected, which would clearly be a breach of the DMCA.

I know theft when I see it.

Faust

« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2003, 17:42 »
quote:
On second thought, scrap that idea, the US would probably make unfounded claims that we were harboring terrorists or building weapons of mass destruction and bomb the crap out of us.

What if we dont tell them were it is, or establish our location as "intangible?"  :D

Actually this is a pretty good idea!
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that