Author Topic: Guys, this is seriously fucking scary  (Read 1769 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Guys, this is seriously fucking scary
« on: 28 July 2004, 05:00 »
Slashdot Article

"The Stargate SG-1 Information Archive is reporting that the Feds filed charges against Adam McGaughey, creator of SG1Archive.com. The website is a fan site for the television show Stargate SG-1. The charges allege that Adam used the website to engage in Criminal Copyright Infringement and Trafficking in Counterfeit Services. Two interesting things about the charges are that they were apparently set in motion by a complaint by our friends at the MPAA and the FBI invoked a provision of the USA Patriot Act to obtain financial records from his ISP. Is copyright infringment now a terrorist act?"

The SG1archive.com site itself says:
SG1Archive.com is one of the most popular fan-run websites among the Stargate community. In addition to providing very active fan discussion forums, broadcast schedules, production news, and episode guides, the site heavily promotes the sale of the show on DVD. As of this writing, direct links from SG1Archive.com to Amazon.com have resulted in the sale of over $100,000 worth of DVDs. Many more DVDs have been sold to international fans of the show through sites like Blackstar.co.uk. Upon hearing this news, Stargate executive producer Brad Wright called the site "cool" - which Adam took as an endorsement of his work.

However, instead of thanking Adam for his promotion of their product, officials at MGM and the MPAA have chosen to pressure the FBI into pursuing criminal charges. Adam was first tipped off about the investigation when the FBI raided his and his fiancee's apartment in May of 2002 and seized thousands of dollars worth of computer equipment. Adam later received a copy of the affidavit filed in support of the search warrant, and was shocked to discover that this document, prepared by the FBI, contained significant amounts of erroneous and misleading information. For example, two social security numbers were listed for Adam, one of which is not his. References were made to a cease and desist letter sent by the MPAA to an email address that did not exist. His online friendship with other Stargate fans across the globe was portrayed as an international conspiracy against the MPAA. And perhaps most disturbing of all, it was later revealed that the FBI invoked a provision of the USA Patriot Act to obtain financial records from his ISP. The FBI's abuse of its powers did not stop there. When they seized Adam's computer equipment, he was given written documentation stating that it would be returned within 60 days. The equipment that they did return did not arrive until more than 8 months later, and only then after much prodding from his lawyer. Much of it was damaged beyond repair - one laptop had a shattered LCD screen, an empty tape backup drive was ripped apart for no apparent reason, his fiancee's iBook was badly damaged when it was pried apart with a screwdriver. The FBI's computer crimes staff is either incompetent (at least when it comes to Macintosh computer equipment) or else they just don't give a damn.

And let's look really really close at this particlular quote

His online friendship with other Stargate fans across the globe was portrayed as an international conspiracy against the MPAA.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2011, 12:55 by Refalm »
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Guys, this is seriously #$%^ing scary.
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2004, 07:18 »
What the article FAILED to mention, is that this guy had full episodes of the show on that site for a while.  Hence, this.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2004, 08:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by WMD:
What the article FAILED to mention, is that this guy had full episodes of the show on that site for a while.  Hence, this.

I know that.  It was discussed in the slashdot posts.  However, the Stargate producers had seen the site and led him to believe that they endorsed it, if even unofficially.  Rather than the MPAA contacting him and saying "listen man, we know that the shows producers have seen your site, but the episodes, that's not ok with us. Take it off." They didn't give him ANY notice.  They decided to use the freaking PATRIOT anti-terrorist act against him.  

Instead of this being a civil matter (which copyrights have historically been), the MPAA chose to turn this into a criminal matter.  They twisted a badly written law which was supposedly to protect us from terrorists in order to achieve their objectives, and they have allegedly falsified information to obtain a warrant to do it!  

Doesn't this bother you?
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2004, 23:48 »
Sure it does...but the Patriot Act doesn't specify terrorism as it's sole use...they just used that as the excuse to pass it.  They may be trying to turn this into a criminal act, but not a terrorist one.

This guy has also frauded people on eBay and other places (as described at Slashdot).  This guy had gone too far for a civil warning.  The only other thing to use then, in these times...is the Patriot Act, since it supercedes all the other stuff from previous years.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

solarismka

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2004, 01:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by WMD:
Sure it does...but the Patriot Act doesn't specify terrorism as it's sole use...they just used that as the excuse to pass it.  They may be trying to turn this into a criminal act, but not a terrorist one.

This guy has also frauded people on eBay and other places (as described at Slashdot).  This guy had gone too far for a civil warning.

Nope.  its STILL a civil case.  Its not about mass murder, or how to blow up a building or two.  Eather way that case IS separate from the above and should of been treated acordingly.  This, does NOT mean using that act.  But then again, that act is false even if we were talking about terroists since the bush regime is somehow above said act.

By the definnition of the act itself, Bush and his faithful goones should of been charged under it long ago.

quote:

The only other thing to use then, in these times...is the Patriot Act, since it supercedes all the other stuff from previous years.[/b]

Isn't it interesting. When The U.S.A patriot act is on other people other than yourself, its ok?

However if you become the victim of this act I bet you will be singing a different tune.  especially when all you are is a brown skinned muslim who had broken no laws and was an upstanding citizen.

But then again, such laws are always prevalent under dictatorships.  Remember the law was enacted to protect the few of the powerful and ignorant and was not ment for the protection of a civil sociaty.

I expect more of these cases are out there since bush's bombing of his own trade towers   :rolleyes:  

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I can't wait till that bastard is out of office and this law is removed so democracy can be restored once again!  

[ July 28, 2004: Message edited by: kn0wn ]

"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2004, 02:13 »
Solaris, I've TRIED to come up with the best way to reply to this without absolutely blowing you out of the water.  I've TRIED to distance myself from this emotionally.  The problem is that every time I TRY to do that, you come out and say something so patently stupid that it makes me wish I could deck you.  I'm as anti-Bush as the next guy, don't get me wrong, but STOP WITH THE AD HOMINEM-CIRCUMSTANTIAL ATTACKS ALREADY.

quote:

Nope. its STILL a civil case. Its not about mass murder, or how to blow up a building or two. Eather way that case IS separate from the above and should of been treated acordingly. This, does NOT mean using that act. But then again, that act is false even if we were talking about terroists since the bush regime is somehow above said act.

I find it difficult to extricate the sheer stupidity of the above paragraph from itself, but here's MY attempt.  In the United States, ANY fraud case that exceeds X number of dollars over state lines (I believe it's $100 but I could be wrong) becomes a FEDERAL CASE.  It doesn't matter that it's not another Reichstag, it IS a federal crime.  Don't argue with me about the United States Code of Justice; it may be rubbish, BUT IT IS FACT.  Given that circumstance, put yourself in the shoes of a federal prosecutor.  Are you going to take the approach that gives the defendant the best shot of being cut loose, or use the worst act in existance today to crucify him?  ...and don't even get me started with "executive privilige" and the bullshit contained therein, I don't agree with it BUT IT IS FACT.  Forget for a moment that this doesn't even apply here.

quote:

By the definnition of the act itself, Bush and his faithful goones should of been charged under it long ago.

Read the United States Pieceofshit Act some time.  It actually makes specific provisions to protect the President and federal services.  Knowing this, why would the authors want to willingly persecute their sole source of income?  It makes no sense.  STOP BLAMING BUSH EVERY TIME THE FBI FUCKS UP.  This is the MPAA's doing, the Bush Administration has little - if anything - to do with them.  It's political poison to even TOUCH them these days.

quote:

Isn't it interesting. When The U.S.A patriot act is on other people other than yourself, its ok?

Nobody ever said it's OKAY.  It's far from OKAY.  In fact, the Patriot Act is the single worst, most tyrannical bill passed TO DATE.  What you're implying is that federal prosecutors WON'T use it, and I say you're off your nut.  They'll use anything available to them, moral or not.

quote:

However if you become the victim of this act I bet you will be singing a different tune. especially when all you are is a brown skinned muslim who had broken no laws and was an upstanding citizen.

Kudos for working the race card into all this.  Then again, I'M not selling people VCDs as "DVD prereleases" over eBay, or making FULL EPISODES available for download.  As much as I'm against this, and as much as I can see that he only LINKED to another site with that content, he should've seen this coming.  It was a stupid move, and we can't bitch about the BUSH ADMINISTRATION persuing this (ESPECIALLY when it's the MPAA!)

quote:

But then again, such laws are always prevalent under dictatorships. Remember the law was enacted to protect the few of the powerful and ignorant and was not ment for the protection of a civil sociaty.

I didn't vote for him.  Read the function of the electoral college some day.  It's outdated and outmoded and needs to be removed BADLY, but until then - WE HAVE TO WORK WITH IT.  It's not like he couldn't hide behind "executive privilige" before the Patriot Act was passed.  Stop blasting the bill for a provision that only reinforced EXISTING LEGISLATION.

quote:

I expect more of these cases are out there since bush's bombing of his own trade towers

That's really a low blow, ESPECIALLY in a thread that has little - if anything - to do with Bush.  Besides, Bush hasn't the brains for all this.  It's all Cheney.  Bush is a figurehead, nothing more.  ...and before it gets through your head that Haliburton had ANYTHING to do with the WTC, know that you're out of your mind.  Those buildings were financed by international investors, not any ONE person.  I think the WTC disaster (be it planes or bombs or whatever) is one of the WORST things to happen to this nation.  

Now whether Bush was behind it or not, I'd rather not say.  Why?  Because I have NO CONCLUSIVE PROOF of it.  Hearsay is not proof.  "Alledged subverted reports" are not proof.  What I WANT is a confession from either Bush or Cheney that they KNEW this would happen, and that hasn't happened.  Until then, I could say that your mother bombed the WTC and you can't prove me wrong because any of your evidence could be corrupted by your relationship with her.  Take off your tinfoil hat and start considering that maybe - just maybe - Bush didn't think THIS could happen.  Whether this is the Reichstag all over again, I can neither confirm nor deny.

quote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I can't wait till that bastard is out of office and this law is removed so democracy can be restored once again!

Amen!  Voting Kerry in 2004 unless Bush manages to get a referendum in to postpone the election because of "terrorist activities."  I'd LOVE nothing more than to see him do that, so we can finally hang the bastard.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2004, 05:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Candidate:
Voting Kerry in 2004 unless Bush manages to get a referendum in to postpone the election because of "terrorist activities."  I'd LOVE nothing more than to see him do that, so we can finally hang the bastard.

Referendum? He won't risk a vote on it. He'll just declare martial law and cancel the election. We're in some deep shit here.
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

Stilly

• Kudos: 29
    • http://kickassshit.tk/
« Reply #7 on: 1 August 2004, 03:44 »
holy fucking christ solaris. was it really necessary to remind us about how bush kills babies in this thread.

and about the article. sounds like the mpaa just being assholes. of course they could have asked the guy to take it down, but they have GET TOUGH and TAKE A BITE OUT OF CRIME to show they aren't pussies.
just say know

solarismka

« Reply #8 on: 2 August 2004, 21:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by the stiller:
[QB]holy fucking christ solaris. was it really necessary to remind us about how bush kills babies in this thread.

No but since you mentioned it, for you, it MUST be important.  But your the only one here thats stupid enough to STILL think thats funny.

:rolleyes:
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

solarismka

« Reply #9 on: 2 August 2004, 21:52 »
Obviously this discussion IS WAY out of your league!

Expecialy if you tried....

I never said that it wasn't the MPAA's fault. Indeed it was, BUT ITS STILL the bush regime for putting that stupid law into practice and thus the MPAA or any other organization can abuse it.  THAT was my point.  

If you don't want me to comment on it then stop posting topics and/or threads that deal with it!!!

:rolleyes:    :rolleyes:        

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #10 on: 2 August 2004, 10:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by kn0wn:
Obviously this discussion IS WAY out of your league!

Expecialy if you tried....

Kiss my ass Solaris.  I TRIED to come up with a reason NOT to blow you out of the water, because you happen to hate Bush as well.  The difference is that *I* can back my hatred up with *REASONS*.

quote:

I never said that it wasn't the MPAA's fault.

No, you only blamed Bush for every FBI screwup in the history books.  What about the Red Scare, are you going to tell me that Bush was behind THAT too?

quote:

Indeed it was, BUT ITS STILL the bush regime for putting that stupid law into practice and thus the MPAA or any other organization can abuse it.  THAT was my point.  

The problem is that you strayed so far from your point that you muddled the intent.  Bush didn't put that bill into play, Ashcroft did.  Bush didn't fail us in legislature that week when only ONE person bothered to read beyond the title and summary, our senators did.  The whole thing is a huge mess, and blaming any ONE person for it is a fallacy.  EVERYONE in a major political position failed us that day, Democrat and Republican alike.

quote:

If you don't want me to comment on it then stop posting topics and/or threads that deal with it!!!

Not only did I *NOT* post this thread, I *DIDN'T* step into it and start blaming Bush for an FBI fuck-up!  Especially considering that the Patriot Act was passed all but unanimously (one vote opposed), wouldn't you say that our government has failed us as much as Bush?

quote:
 :rolleyes:        :rolleyes:                  

Those oh-so-witty eye rolls would get you smacked in any realtime meeting place and you know it.

[ August 02, 2004: Message edited by: Midnight Candidate ]

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

solarismka

« Reply #11 on: 2 August 2004, 22:05 »
quote:
Kiss my ass Solaris. I TRIED to come up with a reason NOT to blow you out of the water, because you happen to hate Bush as well.

Calm down man!

quote:

The difference is that *I* can back my hatred up with *REASONS*.

So can I.  Obviously you have not paid any attention to the links I have posted. I HAVE backed up my reasons!

quote:

No, you only blamed Bush for every FBI screwup in the history books.

No, you say I blame Bush for every FBI screwup in  the history books.

I, however, do blame the CURRENT situation on HIM.  Since the U.S. WAS fine before he got into power.  

Key word here CURRENT.  As in the CURRENT U.S. Patriot Act.  That Act did not exist before his time.

quote:

What about the Red Scare, are you going to tell me that Bush was behind THAT too?

What About the Red Scare?  You call me blaming him for everything? yet your blaming him for that nonsense?

quote:

The problem is that you strayed so far from your point that you muddled the intent.

Recap::

quote:
complaint by our friends at the MPAA and the FBI invoked a provision of the USA Patriot Act to obtain financial records from his ISP.

Using the act that the Bush regime passed.  That was my point.  Whether it be he, or his goons.  Its still no exuse.

Second, your the only one here mudling the topic.  
"Red Scare?"  I have no idea where that came from.

quote:

Bush didn't put that bill into play, Ashcroft did.

Read above.

quote:

Bush didn't fail us in legislature that week when only ONE person bothered to read beyond the title and summary,

I'm not nick picking.  Of course the senators failed BUT it was bush and his goons that put that law forth.  

quote:

our senators did.

Read above.

quote:

The whole thing is a huge mess, and blaming any ONE person for it is a fallacy.

I'm not JUST blaming JUST ONE PERSON.  Bush, as in his regime.  Ashcroft, Rumpsphelled(sp?), Rice and powell(sp?) are just a few of his goons THAT ARE responsible.

MY POINT WAS THAT BUSH, MEANING HIM AND HIS GOONS, ARE RESPONSIBLE!

quote:

EVERYONE in a major political position failed us that day, Democrat and Republican alike.

Well yea, your not going to get an argumemt out of me with that I DO AGREE!!!!  

I'm just stating where the patrot act came from and now organizations can take that act and abuse it.  This case was a clear exsample of that abuse.

Now do you get the point?

quote:

Not only did I *NOT* post this thread,

You didn't post the thread but you did make a reply. So I will also reply.

quote:

I *DIDN'T* step into it and start blaming Bush for an FBI fuck-up!

Nope, just that "Red Scare" up there.

quote:

Especially considering that the Patriot Act was passed all but unanimously (one vote opposed), wouldn't you say that our government has failed us as much as Bush?

I'm not saying that they didn't I AGREE WITH YOU!  I DO say that they have failed!  But my POINT was who put forth the legislation in the first place.  That would be him AND the people that re with him.  It also gave a great exsample of an orgnization that is now abusing that law.  Do you understand what I'm saying?

All I ment was that people who favour this law don't seem to see the abuse that is now taking place because of it.

the "nothing to hide" argument is completely stupid.  If they don't like you, they can take that law then apply it towards you and even though you thought you had nothing to hide.  They still found something that could be used under that vauge definnition in that act an thus the abuse occures.

What I am saying is that law and this mess did not just pop up in the middle of no where.  I still remember when the U.S. WAS a great place and WAS the land of the free.  Up untill him and his goons got into office that all changed!

quote:

Those oh-so-witty eye rolls would get you smacked in any realtime meeting place and you know it.

"Bring it on!"

--George W. Bush
[ August 02, 2004: Message edited by: Midnight Candidate ]

:D

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #12 on: 3 August 2004, 04:27 »
Dear Solaris,

STFU

Sincerely,
The Internet
Go the fuck ~

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #13 on: 3 August 2004, 04:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder:
Dear Solaris,

STFU

Sincerely,
The Internet

Contains scenes of mild peril.

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #14 on: 3 August 2004, 05:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder:
Dear Solaris,

STFU

Sincerely,
The Internet

2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!