Author Topic: Windows XP help  (Read 1839 times)

Whiteboy

• Kudos: 0
Windows XP help
« on: 9 May 2002, 07:18 »
I was reading on the site about just changing the desktop.ini files to keep it from creating the index.dat files, and i was wondering how to do it on xp and where i can find the desktop.ini files on windows xp , please any help would be greately appericiated thanks fellas!

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Windows XP help
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2002, 17:00 »
try here.

in addition to the three automatic programs there, try this one

one solution is to get the program to make a DOS 6.22 bootdisk, from bootdisk.com, then use the disk to boot off of, and go and delete all yr index.dat files, and your desktop.ini files using DOS, as detailed in the first link.

I also found this very interesting forum topic whilst searching for answers here, i'll leave it to one of our Dutch friends to tell me what is actually being discussed in the second half of the page! i'm only a monolinguist i'm afraid!
(edit: Just fixing a broken link, typeo probably)

[ May 09, 2002: Message edited by: X11 ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Windows XP help
« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2002, 19:22 »
Disable "Don't show hidden files" from any Explorer menu...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Windows XP help
« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2002, 19:34 »
oh, yes, do that, i thought everybody did that as soon as they installed windows, along with enabling it to stop hiding the file extensions from you as well. Still, some of those hidden files are ones you can't delete. This sequence seems to follow no rhyme or reason, since you can delete a lot of necessary files by accident, and you are prohibited from deleting some files that you would best be rid of. Best to use a DOS boot disk i say.

PS, Refalm, what do you make of that forum.gamez.nl site? i couldn't make head nor tail of it!!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Whiteboy

• Kudos: 0
Windows XP help
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2002, 00:37 »
I tried all those commands every different way they are different for xp non of those commmands will work

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Windows XP help
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2002, 06:48 »
Oh, you are using XP. In that case they changed the "Show All Files" checkbox to "Show All Spy on You Files that you Mistakenly Think You Are Going to Delete" checkbox.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...