Author Topic: Companies claim to have the answer to piracy  (Read 1082 times)

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Companies claim to have the answer to piracy
« on: 5 January 2004, 21:11 »
A group of well known companies have teamed together to produce what they claim is the best ever anti-piracy system. Better than Microsoft's DRM and one that will not interfere with fair use. They say they will unveil this system soon.

http://www.winnetmag.com/windowspaulthurrott/Article/ArticleID/41332/windowspaulthurrott_41332.html

I'm very skeptical of this because I dont think there can ever be an antipiracy system that does not interfere with fair use at all, but who knows. I for one am very interested in what this really is.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2004, 06:26 »
You all need to learn about this thing called "compromise". Those guys want some protection. You want fair use. Find something that helps both parties. Until then, the fight will continue unabated.

Oh yeah, and stop supporting illegal filesharing of music and they'll shut the fuck up. If you don't wanna buy a CD to get one good song, then buy it off iTunes for a dollar and burn it to CD. You win, and show that you support the future of music sales.

Don't argue with me because I'm right.
Go the fuck ~

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2004, 19:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy don't give a shit about MS:
You all need to learn about this thing called "compromise". Those guys want some protection. You want fair use. Find something that helps both parties. Until then, the fight will continue unabated.

Oh yeah, and stop supporting illegal filesharing of music and they'll shut the fuck up. If you don't wanna buy a CD to get one good song, then buy it off iTunes for a dollar and burn it to CD. You win, and show that you support the future of music sales.

You are pretty much right about the music part. But it doesnt end there. What about my fair use right to make a copy of a DVD that I LEGALLY BUY WITH MY MONEY? Using DVD Decrypter to make myself an ISO of my movie for either a backup, or say for my laptop for a trip, etc.. is ILLEGAL by the DMCA.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2004, 21:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy don't give a shit about MS:

A)  RIAA and MPAA don't want protection.  They want a fanatical level of control over content.  They have opposed re-recordable devices throughout the years (cassette tapes, VCR's, DAT, Digital Compact Cassette, etc).   They want an ironclad DRM system that lets THEM say what customers can do, including what they think is fair use (no matter what the law says).  Ever listen to Jack Valente's ideas on fair use?  You should.

They also want the ability to put anyone who finds flaws in this DRM in jail.  And they want the ability to avoid due process and carry out vigilante justice against people they think are pirates.  

B)  I don't support illegal filesharing and they havn't STFU.  The reason?  See (A).
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

flap

• Kudos: 137
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2004, 18:41 »
quote:
Those guys want some protection.

No they don't. They want you and the artists they exploit to believe that, which is why they use propaganda terms like "protection". But it isn't the case. They just want to be able to extort as much money out of their customers as possible. If music were freely distributable online and people were encouraged to donate money to artists, the parasitic (and now largely redundant) middle-men, the record companies, would be cut out.

If you look at any industry where there are lots of individuals making millions of dollars, it should be seen as a sign that something is wrong, not as some kind of triumph for capitalism. These people (the more successful artists and the record industry whores who own them) who whinge and claim to be in need of "protection" from nasty file sharers are a joke. If they were living on the poverty line their argument might be more convincing. It's like Bill Gates sitting on a 40 billion dollar personal fortune and then complaining that his livelihood is at risk when people illegally copy his software.

quote:
Oh yeah, and stop supporting illegal filesharing of music and they'll shut the fuck up.

Why should anyone bend to their will just to appease them?

quote:
show that you support the future of music sales.

I don't. I want the record companies (as they currently exist) destroyed, and replaced by companies whose only purpose is to physically distribute the music, not to control its copyright.

[ January 12, 2004: Message edited by: flap ]

"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

buzzybuzzz

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2004, 02:03 »
wow well said..Flap
I have literally tons and tons of purchased music and still spend my share how can they prove I dont own original copy  they would need to come see for themselves...from vinyl to cassette to cd...