Author Topic: RIAA wants biometric DRM!  (Read 925 times)

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
RIAA wants biometric DRM!
« on: 6 June 2004, 03:50 »
The RIAA wants to standardize a technology that will make DRM based on people's fingerprints!!!    

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/04/biometric_drm/

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #1 on: 6 June 2004, 06:29 »
Appalling. How about blood samples, while they're at it? It would be a convenient way for customers to send them feedback in the form of a transmittable veneral disease.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #2 on: 6 June 2004, 21:35 »
Interesting.  

You know, this DRM #$%^ couples nicely into another one of RIAA's past agendas.  RIAA wanted a percentage of used CD sales many years ago (it's not fair that those used CD stores are making money off of our work!).  That jerk Clint Black was one of their major spokemen for that movement.

It floated like a lead brick.

If people accept these increasingly intrusive DRM propositions, they will find all of their rights as consumers slowly eroded away.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Shiver

• Kudos: 61
« Reply #3 on: 6 June 2004, 18:44 »
The whole scheme seems pretty vague. How are the idiots planning to implement such a thing? They can't do it with audio CDs or even DVDs so it probably means these pay more, get bad quality 128 kbps drm files internet music stores? And who would buy a new player just because of this shit? The online music stores suck even without anything like this so I doubt it's going to work.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2004, 13:06 »
I'm probably wrong here, but I seem to recall Microsoft trying to peddle some fingerprint scanner with all new computers not too long ago.  They called it a "trusted computing add-on" or some similar doublespeak name.  As was stated earlier:

quote:
Originally posted by M. O'Brien:
It floated like a lead brick.

This, of course, makes the existance of such a plan no less disturbing.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals